• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Spring/Fall Coat

Sharp Pointy Stick

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new jacket/overcoat for work and weekend for the spring and fall (I live in Vancouver BC) My work is fairly casual place with most people wearing cotton slacks and dress shirts with no tie. I gave wearing a sport jacket to work a try, but felt really out of place as not even the company owner wears sport jackets or suits. Most days I wear wool pants, cotton dress shirt with a tie and I am one of the more "fancy" dressed at the company. I recently purchased a black wool pea coat, and I really feel the coat looks great in any situation (work or weekend), but as spring is approaching the peacoat will be too heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions on a coat style? Off-topic - I am also looking to get my first MTM shirt. Can anyone recommend someone in the Vancouver area? Anyone had experience with Steve Samson (http://www.stevesamson.org/)? Also any tips regarding fabrics, etc? Thanks.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Many retailers offer pea coats in lighter fabrics, which could be an idea. Other than that I think many of the classic waxed Barbour jackets fit the description for what you're after.

cbird

Reaction score
Barbour jackets are great. Filson also makes some that might be interesting to you. If you want to go to something still casual, but more finely made and more stylish (and more $$$) check out Loro Piana's models. Also, it might be worth looking at the selection of men's jackets on Sierra Trading Post - many options, often from companies whose products you might not otherwise encounter (good Barbour selection, also).

contaygious

Reaction score
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

I too live in Vancouer and have used Steve for many of my shirts. His shirts are great for the price and feel free to PM me with any questions. I'd say that's a good place to start is with shirts to get the fit down first before you move on to jackets/pants/etc. I also use Paul's at North Shore for all my sports jackets with Zegna/Thomas Mason/etc fabrics and I just had a 3 piece suit made there for my upcoming wedding.

In terms of a spring coat, either one could do the job with the price being lower at Steve's, but the fabric options and quality being better at Paul's. I'd suggest browsing the forum pictures and finidng a jacket you like and take the picture to Paul's as that's what I did with the last few sports jackets.

I think you can pull off a sports jacket to keep you warm if you get a harris tweed or slim fitting blazer with narrow lapels. No one even wears slacks or dress shirts where I work, but I can pull it off due to the fabric choices.

PS I can post pictures of some of my 9 new shirts from Steve tomorrow if you really want. I was planning on doing a MTM critique thread anyway for them. I got some really nice colors for spring/summer.

Sharp Pointy Stick

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on a Barbour jacket, I think I will look into one. I might also look into a sport jacket in a solid kaki or camel hair. The sport jacket I did wear to work was plaid, and beyond making me feel overdressed, made me feel like an old man.

contaygious - No need for you to post shirt pics on my account.

Thanks

Sharp Pointy Stick

Reaction score
thoughts?

gp624603-00vliv01.jpg

pFILSON1-3898407dt.jpg

89787Wsage.jpg

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharp Pointy Stick
I recently purchased a black wool pea coat, and I really feel the coat looks great in any situation (work or weekend), but as spring is approaching the peacoat will be too heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions on a coat style?

I am in the exact same situation. The pea coat is nice for cold winter days, but now that the snow is starting to melt I need something lighter.

I like the ones worn by Jack Bauer and Peter Petrelli this season:

bauer-coat1.jpg

bauer-coat2.jpg

peter-coat2.jpg

peter-coat3.jpg

Anyone know what they are?

I'm also thinking about something similar to this one, although in lighter/thinner fabric:

mfj205nav_a_p.jpg

Anyone know where I could find one?

Not sure if this is more dressy than you were looking for, but personally I think the ones posted here earlier are too casual (compared to the "dressiness" of a pea coat) or look too much like sports coats.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I also found these from Brooks Brothers:

Looks nice, but a bit pricey.

By the way, what is a "car coat" anyway? Only some minor details different from a (single-breasted) trench coat (i.e. no "bands" on the arms and shoulders)? If so, wouldn't the "car coat" be more dressy?
Well, maybe that makes sense, since people probably want to dress nicer when driving a car than when lying in a trench...

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this Barbour today.

It's both lighter and shorter than the classic Beaufort model. I got it in black, which I feel looks much more urban than the olive colored ones.

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
Check out Rainforest. I just bought a coat from them, good looking and $150 which you can't beat. I've received numerous compliments on it.

UFN

Reaction score
Barbour all the way.

/U.

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
By the way, what is a "car coat" anyway? Only some minor details different from a (single-breasted) trench coat (i.e. no "bands" on the arms and shoulders)? If so, wouldn't the "car coat" be more dressy?
Well, maybe that makes sense, since people probably want to dress nicer when driving a car than when lying in a trench...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-car-coat.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads