• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Hickey Freeman suit at Nordstrom Rack - First Suit/Job Interview

joe240

Reaction score
I have seen some threads here that debate H. Freeman v. Hickey Freeman AND canvased v. fused Hickey Freeman - and I'm not sure what I found:

It is a two button black suit. Similar to the Hugo Boss Pasolini/Movie suit I am fond of, maybe not as slim...

It is knocked down to 500 dollars which seems like a great deal, I'm just not sure if this suit is canvassed or fused, etc.

I am including pics of the tags/suit if anyone can lend some advice I would appreciate it.

I am looking for a first suit for a job interview and was seeking a charcoal, but this black seems very nice...

If anyone has some advice in general for other suits i should look for (38R) I'm all ears...

After reading a lot of posts on here I am scouring the internet for allen dmonds shoes and Hickey Freeman suits...
satisfied.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see the word "imported" under one of those tags, if that's the case then it's unlikely to be fully canvased, as I am under the impression that the fully canvased are domestically made.

And reconsider black, charcoal is a much better choice for a first suit.

treydog999

Reaction score
This hickey Freeman looks like it is a LTD line. Which are fused. Also I would recommend a navy or grey suit for your 1st suit. Those colors are much more versitile.

RangerP

Reaction score
Don't buy black as your first suit.

Black should really be like your 4th or 5th...if you even need one.

Go Charcoal or Navy.

I've interviewed people before and it always bothers me when they wear a black suit to the interview...even if it was an entry level position...

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an HF Ltd. (if you peel back the price sticker, you'll see that indicated on the sleeve tag). Half canvassed, $500 is really not the best deal. Others have commented on the color.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black isn't an appropriate color for an interview suit, unless you're interviewing for a position at a funeral home or a night club. Shameless plug: I've got a hickey suit in the streetwear buying and selling forum.

joe240

Reaction score
Wow, definitely not going to go with black now!

I'll stick with my initial goal of charcoal (or navy).

A family member suggested I just buy a Sport Coat and wear with Khaki or Black slacks?

The jobs I am scheduled to interview for are entry level broker or analyst positions. Would a sport coat (navy, charcoal, etc) be appropriate?

I should mention I'm in Arizona, which is a very business casual environment and have been in wholesale sales for six years and haven't worn a suit since my "dress blues" in the Air Force. Hence , the ignorance... thanks for educating a newbie!

RangerP

Reaction score
Do you know what type of clothing people typically wear in that office?

If you don't know, I would go with a charcoal or navy suit.

Sorry for not being more informative but in my experience, Finance is one of those fields that can be hard to dress for because some firms are all about dressing EXTREMELY well, while others are total slobs.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear the suit. It's casual here in Colorado, and a suit is always appropriate for an interview in a business setting.

joe240

Reaction score
This is a Hugo Boss Pasolini in my size for $100. Seems like a great price despite it being a Boss, but I was concerned about the color for an interview. It has a greyish/tan/beige look to it. Also would these Magnanni canelas go with it? Or what does go with that color as far as shoes? Black? I know, I'm clueless, but at least I know I'm clueless right? Help!

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Skip the Magnanni's for the interview. The whole goal is be subdued. For an interview, if you are wearing a charcoal suit, I think the safe (albeit boring) choice is the AE Park Avenue in black.

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Skip the Magnanni's for the interview. The whole goal is be subdued. For an interview, if you are wearing a charcoal suit, I think the safe (albeit boring) choice is the AE Park Avenue in black.

+1

Those shoes are a bit much for an interview.

I would stick with black. If you already own a pair of black dress shoes that aren't in terrible shape, they should be OK.

To be safe, you can just post a picture of what you already have.

The suit looks OK from the pictures, but that isn't saying much.

If you can return it... buy it and take proper pictures at home and post them up here for everyone to critique. The price of the suit isn't what's important but rather the fit.

You'll make mistakes when buying suits at first so it would be great if this $100 suit fits...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joe240
Wow, definitely not going to go with black now!

I'll stick with my initial goal of charcoal (or navy).

A family member suggested I just buy a Sport Coat and wear with Khaki or Black slacks?
The jobs I am scheduled to interview for are entry level broker or analyst positions. Would a sport coat (navy, charcoal, etc) be appropriate?

I should mention I'm in Arizona, which is a very business casual environment and have been in wholesale sales for six years and haven't worn a suit since my "dress blues" in the Air Force. Hence , the ignorance... thanks for educating a newbie!

Rule# 18-Never listen to family members or women when it comes to clothes!

reachforit108

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joe240
I'll stick with my initial goal of charcoal (or navy). A family member suggested I just buy a Sport Coat and wear with Khaki or Black slacks? The jobs I am scheduled to interview for are entry level broker or analyst positions. Would a sport coat (navy, charcoal, etc) be appropriate?
Definitely a good idea to go with a navy or charcoal suit. i would not recommend a sportcoat for an interview. I was in a similar situation quite a few years ago when i was interviewing for broker/analyst positions in florida. a conservative suit is the way to go. the main manager at the job i ended up taking commented (after i started working there) that he was impressed with my clothing and took that into consideration when he hired me. a bit ridiculous I know, but that is really what he said. black leather soled captoe balmoral shoes, plain navy or charcoal notch lapel single breasted suit, white shirt, and a conservative tie would be my suggestions. It is better to get a full canvassed suit (HF mainline on sale is a cheaper good option) and welted shoes (allen edmonds park avenue on sale is cheaper good option), but if you are pressed for cash or time or both, then any conservative suit in the aforementioned style/color (canvassed or not) that fits well and any decent black leather-soled lace-up shoes that don't kill you feet can get you by. skip any bold prints/stripes/colors for all clothing/shoes. just my 2 cents but i hope it helps.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the HF suit is from their Ltd. line. Mainline HF suits generally retail for $1400 and up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads