• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Hickey Freeman suit at Nordstrom Rack - First Suit/Job Interview

joe240

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RangerP
What size are you in suits usually?

Your AEs, why don't you like them? Bad fit or just don't like the look? What's your shoe size?

I am usually a 38 R.

The AE's seemed very wide. The last is a little wider for the Dawsons but I think this had more to do with whoever wore them first then returned them to Nordstroms. I'm guessing they should have gotten more than a D width.

I know everyone here is going to freak out, but I have gotten the Dawsons to fit much better using a leather mold/shrink method I learned through years of military issues leather boots and oxfords. It involves soaking in water and use of mink oil. After a correct fit, then a new spit shine.

They fit fine now and look great, and I'm hoping I can use them with the navy blue suit with a white shirt and red tie. Almost everyone has recommended I use brown with the taupe suit, so I was wondering what shoes I should go after since my remaining budget is under $150. I am a size 9.5 (US) shoe in most brands.

hootdocta5

Reaction score
Oh don't be snobby..have you ever actually owned a tommy hilfiger slim fit? They are the most fly item of clothing since bubble jackets, how dare you insult them. Really though, for $250 I don't think you can do much better. Keep in mind I don't wear my suit everyday though.

Originally Posted by jrd617
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif

franz_sanchez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joe240
This is a Hugo Boss Pasolini in my size for $100. Seems like a great price despite it being a Boss, but I was concerned about the color for an interview. It has a greyish/tan/beige look to it.

Also would these Magnanni canelas go with it?

Or what does go with that color as far as shoes? Black?

I know, I'm clueless, but at least I know I'm clueless right?

Help!

I know Hugo Boss suits aren't that great but at $100 that's a really good deal. That $100 Hugo Boss suit would be much better than getting a $200 suit at Macy's. I don't know which model of Allen Edmonds you were showing in your other post but those are good shoes. I think those are one of the nicer styles of Allen Edmonds shoes. Which Macy's were you shopping at? None of our local Macy's carries any higher end shoes such as Allen Edmonds. The most expensive shoes our local Macy's has is Ecco and Cole Haan.

joe240

Reaction score
Originally Posted by franz_sanchez
I know Hugo Boss suits aren't that great but at $100 that's a really good deal. That $100 Hugo Boss suit would be much better than getting a $200 suit at Macy's. I don't know which model of Allen Edmonds you were showing in your other post but those are good shoes. I think those are one of the nicer styles of Allen Edmonds shoes. Which Macy's were you shopping at? None of our local Macy's carries any higher end shoes such as Allen Edmonds. The most expensive shoes our local Macy's has is Ecco and Cole Haan.

Wow, I finally get an attaboy for the price on my Hugo
smile.gif

I got the shoes for $40 at the same place I got the Hugo: Last Chance.

Last Chance is a store in Phoenix, AZ where the stock that is returned, defected, or unsold goes from Nordstroms. I do not know if it goes through the Nordstrom Racks as well, but basically it's the ultimate clearance from Nordstrom. It is very hit or miss and you MUST be extremely careful to check items VERY carefully for defects/mis-sizing/ excessive prior wear. All sales are final.

If i had to guess, the shoes I bought were worn for 2-4 weeks, prior to being returned by previous owner. After shrinking/mink oiling and polishing to a mirror-like finish, they are street ready!

The suit may be a return as well but was not tailored, with tags, and did not seem to be worn.

I think the taupe suit in natural light looks a lot more grey than brown and therefore I should wear black shoes with it. Any insights/objections?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads