• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a good basic wardrobe for the office

Stirre

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm gonna start working at one of the big 4 accounting firms in a few months and I need some advice.

I'm a student right now and I don't have that many business outfits at the moment.
So I'm planning to buy some clothes the next months to build up a good basic wardrobe for my job.

This is my plane:

3 suits - 1 navy, 1 charcoal, 1 mid grey.

3 shoes - 1 black oxfords, 1 dark brown oxfords, 1 black derby.

10 shirts - 3 white (where of 1 with french cuff), 2 light blue, 2 light blue striped, 1 light blue checkered, 1 light purple, white and black checkered.

4 ties - navy with white dots, burgundy with white dots, brown, grey wool.

What do you think about this?
All advice and comments are welcome!

lalaland

Reaction score
i think you are great at counting and categorizing things so you should be a great accountant.

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Suits sound good. Stay solid for the first 3, but think about texture. Maybe a herringbone or something for the fabric.

Trade out the black derbies for a medium brown or burgundy semi-brogue.

Trade out the last 2 shirts for a few more ties. Maybe a grenadine or two.

What's your budget for this list, out of curiosity? It may be better to up the quality, and do half the shirts, just the first 2 pairs of shoes and keep the ties the same as your list to free up several hundred to add to the quality of the suits and shoes.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You've got the right idea. But nitpicking:

-I'd eschew the purple shirt.
- your patterned to solid shirt ratio is high for my taste - get more light blue solids in different shades and weaves in lieu of the black and white checkered shirt and one of the stripes
-There's also no particular reason for having one french cuff shirt. I'd just keep it all barrels.
-Lay off the wool tie until you get a few more silks, including grenadine solid as suggested.

Finally, and most importantly:

DO NOT ACQUIRE THIS ALL AT ONCE. Spend a while figuring out one suit to buy. Doesn't really matter which one you start with. Get it tailored and wear it a couple of times with a new shirt. If you like it, then go to the same maker or store or whatever for the other two.

Stirre

Reaction score
Actually, I haven't think about any budget yet.

But I have a pair of black derby right now, and I think I'm gonna buy the oxfords at crockett & jones.
You may be right about the shirts. I like Eton, but I only have 2 right now (white & light blue), so probably I stay with eton or something similiar.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where are you located? I'd suggest getting made-to-measure shirts - you can do this online but it might take a couple of iterations before they get it right. Or if you're in NYC you could go to CEGO. Brooks Brothers has a MTM program too I think. Once you've tried the difference between a MTM shirt and an off the rack shirt, I think you'll be happy with the decision.

Stirre

Reaction score
I'm located in scandinavia...
You are probably right about the MTM shirts unbelragazzo. Of course it will be more expensive for me, but perhaps I should start with only 5-6 shirts and go for quality instead. But can you really have just 5-6 shirts when worn shirt to work every day?

Maegnus

Reaction score
Looks like a solid plan with some sound advice to boot. I'd also swap out the black derbys for something like an oxblood brogue. And definitely don't rush this process. Don't buy anything you aren't absolutely stoked on.

What weights are you thinking for the suits? All worsted wool for all-season? That would certainly maximize your bang for your buck. If you live somewhere colder maybe make the charcoal a flannel?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm located in scandinavia...
You are probably right about the MTM shirts unbelragazzo. Of course it will be more expensive for me, but perhaps I should start with only 5-6 shirts and go for quality instead. But can you really have just 5-6 shirts when worn shirt to work every day?

Sure - I really only have 5 that I wear on a regular basis. Especially if you wear undershirts, you can wear a dress shirt a couple of times before laundering without problems. And you can add more gradually. If you go the online MTM route, for instance MyTailor or ModernTailor, I think you can get shirts for less than $100, which isn't too bad. Shipping might be more for you though, not sure how that works for Scandinavia.

Last edited:

Stirre

Reaction score

Looks like a solid plan with some sound advice to boot. I'd also swap out the black derbys for something like an oxblood brogue. And definitely don't rush this process. Don't buy anything you aren't absolutely stoked on.

What weights are you thinking for the suits? All worsted wool for all-season? That would certainly maximize your bang for your buck. If you live somewhere colder maybe make the charcoal a flannel?

The problem is that I don't like brogues....but I'm still a young man and I will probably like it some day that so many other grown up things here in life, like beer, single malt and coffe.:)

Worsted wool for all season, yes. That was my plan.
Do you think brown oxfords is good choice for my "second shoes" after the black oxfords? I personally like dark brown oxfords a lot, but I've been told from "experts" that a dark brown brogue will be a better choice. But I don't agree...

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The problem is that I don't like brogues....but I'm still a young man and I will probably like it some day that so many other grown up things here in life, like beer, single malt and coffe.:)
Worsted wool for all season, yes. That was my plan.
Do you think brown oxfords is good choice for my "second shoes" after the black oxfords? I personally like dark brown oxfords a lot, but I've been told from "experts" that a dark brown brogue will be a better choice. But I don't agree...

In cases like this, let your own preferences guide you. There's certainly nothing wrong with brown oxfords. If you like them, go with them.

Stirre

Reaction score
Thank you for comments, I really appreciate it.

Stirre

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm gonna trust you and go with solid colors.

This should be a good start I think:
2 white
2 light blue
1 light blue striped

Then add 1 more of each after a while when I know what I like and what I need.

Stirre

Reaction score

Suits sound good. Stay solid for the first 3, but think about texture. Maybe a herringbone or something for the fabric.

Maybe navy and mid grey as solid and the dark grey as herringbone for example?

I really like the herringbone pattern, gives more life to the suit. But it's not as formal as a solid, right?
I still need at least one or two solid suits...?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads