• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help with a classical mix cd

chrysalid

Reaction score
for the girlfirend, and also for me. i don't know much about classical.

i'm looking for stuff that's melancholic and delicate without being too depressing and dirgey. i prefer fairly spare piano compositions, but i am open to just about anything. so far i've got:

Yann Tiersen - comtine d'un autre et. from the amelie soundtrack, i love this piece of music, any more like this would be great.

Michael Nyman - the heart asks pleasure first. from the piano soundtrack, a touch overwrought (just like the sodding film) but very nice none the less.

Bethoven - moonlight sonata. predictable i know, but i love it.

Mozart - Piano Concert no.5. i find the amount of work mozart has done fairly daunting, and though i like this piece i can't help but think that there is a better one out there.

James Newton Howard - The Gravel Road. from the village soundtrack. really nice piece with piano and strings.

Alexandre Desplat - Griets Theme. from the girl with a pearl earing soundtrack. i'm not sure about this one, may be a bit dirgey, if it makes it on it will certainly be a bit of a "filler".

Bach - Air on a G string. my favourite piece of non piano music. lovely rich baroque whilst at the same time being restrained. i feel i need more bach, but like mozart i find his body of work daunting and so could do with a bit of advice.

Arvo Part - Spiegel im Spiegel. i think this **** is beautiful, though it may be a little too sparse for the girlfriend, it's going on the cd though.

i think that's about it, if any classical music buffs out there could give me some advice and suggestions i would be eternaly grateful
musicboohoo[1].gif

after this i'm doing a jazz one, and probably an 80s pop one, so expect more desperate requests for help.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi crysalid . . .

I love the music you've described. The more melancholy, the better. Beethoven's string quartets, are at the far edge of the world. You may want to consider that collection.

BOCCHERINI Quintet in E Minor, is haunting, almost unendurably beautiful to hear, and seductive. I think you and your ladyfriend, will love it.

MOZART Quartet in G Minor for Piano and Strings, K. 478 AND, Quintet in E Flat for Piano and Winds, K. 452 . . . may also suit your needs. Many others, of course.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Love the inclusion of Moonlight, although you might also consider his Sonata #7 - I think the second movement has the mood you're looking for, and the other three movements leaven the melancholy. If you can find the Horowitz version, that's the one to go for, otherwise there is Pollini, or Schnabel (old recording).

There's also a Chopin waltz that comes to mind on the same Horowitz disc that also does the trick - Waltz Op. 34 No.2 in A minor. This one is the most articulate, but others may be as good.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put in some early/middle period Scriabin (the poeme Op. 32 #1 for example)--my friend facetiously refers to it as "russian hot-tub music".
teacha.gif

koji

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Some verdi, handel and wagner would be good choices I think.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chopin definitely as was mentioned before. Debussy perhaps. i'd also try a couple more Mozart concertos starting with #20.

for something a little more modern but right on the spot in terms of your description, Erik Satie's "Gymnopedies".

-Jeff

Reflection

Reaction score
I'd suggest Chopin - Fantasie Improptu
inlove.gif
and The Raindrop Prelude.
And Bach - Aria Sulla Quarta Corda.
Maybe some Wagner too... Ride of the Valkyries perhaps.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rachmaninov - Variations on a theme of Paganini

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the great thing about Bach and Mozart is that most of their pieces may be played with various instruments. For example, I have three different instrument combos for Bach's concerto in E (at least I think that's the name). And, I have a whole cd of Mozart quartets played with wind instruments in place of the lead violins.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have a double cd with Brahms trios on it. Superb!

And another cd with all Schumann oboe romances. Excellent!

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd movement of Emperor concerto...

Beethoven spring sonata, Franck violin sonata....

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barber, Ballade and Nocturne from John Browning's recording of the complete Barber piano music.

Hell, throw in the Barber violin concerto (Slatkin on EMI) as fitting the bill too.

Chopin, Nocturnes (my favorite is Rubenstein on RCA)

Gerard Souzay singing Faure on London cd:
http://www.amazon.com/Gerard-Souzay-...e=UTF8&s=music

Elly Ameling, Songs for Gretchen and Ellen (Phillips)

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
2nd movement of Emperor concerto...

Beethoven spring sonata, Franck violin sonata....

I have the Franck with Richter (bought it for the Brahms):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5&category=306

I once scored a treasure trove of Russian LPs from someone who loved Russian violinists, so I've got a ton of them, including some rarities

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads