• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Brooks Bros. suit

Fly1296

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a dark navy windowpane plaid (if that makes any sense...please correct my rookie mistakes) SB two button suit by Brooks Brothers. My previous two purchases were pretty easy to figure out in terms of quality but I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to peg this new suit. It's clearly a quality suit but beyond the basic indicators common to any good suit I don't know what to look for on this one. Any help would be much appreciated.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB has a range of quality. What line is it from - 1818, Golden Fleece, etc.?

Fly1296

Reaction score
That's just it...I don't know how to tell. The label just says Brooks Brothers; no line name anywhere. It's of higher quality than any OTR suit I've seen around here, but it has to be considered that Dillard's and Jos. A. Bank are the highest-end menswear retailers in town. Some of the details I've noticed are: the lapel button hole is only partly open, not enough for a boutonniere, compared to the Cremieux and Lauren suits that have a fully open button hole; and only 2 inside pockets, where the other two have a 3rd small pocket below the main one on the left side. But, compared to the other two the fabric appears to be higher quality.

Alex C

Reaction score
IIRC, Brooksease and Brookscool don't list the lines on the tags while 1818/Golden Fleece always do.

If that's accurate, expect it to be above the other OTR Mall brands you've seen, but it's likely entirely fused so below the craftsmanship levels in the other BB lines and many of the other lines people are here gravitate to.

Still, as a first suit the lower BB lines are often a great buy.

Fly1296

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex C
IIRC, Brooksease and Brookscool don't list the lines on the tags while 1818/Golden Fleece always do.

If that's accurate, expect it to be above the other OTR Mall brands you've seen, but it's likely entirely fused so below the craftsmanship levels in the other BB lines and many of the other lines people are here gravitate to.

Still, as a first suit the lower BB lines are often a great buy.

The jacket drapes very nicely and the pants fit great with no alterations. I also like the fabric a great deal.

The lines to which people on here gravitate are not available to me here in Tulsa. Neither does my budget allow for them. I certainly don't doubt that higher quality is out there, but I either work with whats available or do without. Even wearing a mid-level BB suit will see me better dressed than 99.9% of the men in this city.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fly1296
Yesterday I picked up a dark navy windowpane plaid (if that makes any sense...please correct my rookie mistakes) SB two button suit by Brooks Brothers. My previous two purchases were pretty easy to figure out in terms of quality but I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to peg this new suit. It's clearly a quality suit but beyond the basic indicators common to any good suit I don't know what to look for on this one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you buy it at an outlet?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well honestly for $7.50 you shouldn't worry about quality. Spend some money to get it tailored and be happy with your $100 Brooks Brother suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads