• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help!! Winterball Attire !!!

griffinate99

Reaction score
Alright i have a dilemma

My friends said dat ur not allowed to wear jeans to a semi casual school party....well its a winterball.

I also have a date and shes going to wear a black dress. Shes says its not really black but thats the most seen color

My plan was to wear black loose fit ecko jeans, white button up shirt by polo, and a black striped tie, and nike black and white dunks

I'm trying to see if this is appropriate to a school semi formal dance party???
confused.gif

any help would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

stick

Reaction score
Do it. Be the rebel. But on the other hand, a Google Image search reveals what people actually wear to winter formals.

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
there are people who dress like that, tbh this place is prolly not the best place to ask :p sf semi-casual, is far different from school semi-casual.
you'll still see people in jeans, hoodies and stuff. winterball in my school was a formal but homecoming was semi-formal. if you feel comfortable wearing that stuff, go ahead, ask ur date first.
ideally tho to a semi-formal, a button up shirt, slacks, and dress shoes, tie optional. at least it was for me 2 years ago. ask your date tho! if she's fine wit it, then go ahead. your supposed to have a good time not be worryin

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well my school balls were black tie (or some suits) but it sounds like you can be a little more casual.

I think if jeans are not allowed your trainers (that's what the Nikes are?) are probably also going to be forbidden. Maybe you could keep the shirt and tie and invest in a pair of non-denim trousers and some polish able leather shoes? If you do invest in some new clothes get them as simple and classical as possible, although conservative can be dull it means you will be able to haul them out in a few years time for interviews etc. and you can always liven them up with more fashionable accessories.

If you really want to wear trainers with smarter clothes they need to be something like converses which are slimmer, the size of most trainers make them look a little funny with anything smarter than jeans.

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
if you have been clubbing, u could wear something like that. these are really lax on what you wear, and it's dark, so no one is gonna give u ****.

griffinate99

Reaction score
thnx guys

yeah well it is a dance party......
devil.gif

so u can call it clubbing

hmmm converses arent a bad idea actually

huy

Reaction score
Winterball is not a casual school dance. The word ball gives you an indication that it is more formal and requires at least slacks, dress shirt, tie and dress shoes.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, something from personal experience, if you are clubbing or generally dancing somewhere hot all night in a white shirt with no jacket or anything it can get ugly, just a thought.

griffinate99

Reaction score
ohhhhh.....dat is true but its only for four hours so i wouldnt be bothered with dat and i'll prbably be taking a sean jean jacket dats black

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you come to the conclusion that a polo shirt, jeans and sneakers was appropriate for a semi formal event. Just because its semi formal does not meen its casual.

griffinate99

Reaction score
and huy its also semi-formal so its just called a winterball but i'll check up on dat u might be ryte

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
huy wat is da problum wit da spelin an gramer wit dis thred

ware wat da f*k u wan

griffinate99

Reaction score
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

thnx got it but still dats kind going overboard for school dance party i mean were going to have dj's and stuff......dats wat confuses me cuz its a nightmare trying to dance in dress shoes and the school didnt really specify anything so....

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can dance in dress shoes, you just need to make sure that leather soles are scratched up before you do, otherwise I admit it can lead to some unintended and spectacular moves, it does make moonwalking easier though.

Find out what you are supposed to wear - ask a guy from the year above your or something, you need to know the dress code otherwise you risk looking like a fool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads