• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Where to by the wife some quality jewelry online?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beyond the Usual Tiffany and CO, any where else?

I am thinking princess cut peridot ear rings in a white metal.

Tiffany doesnt have these, so any help is appreciated.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Beyond the Usual Tiffany and CO, any where else?

I am thinking princess cut peridot ear rings in a white metal.

Tiffany doesnt have these, so any help is appreciated.

I know a couple of people that were extremely pleased with Blue Nile

Here's their website

It helps if you know something about jewelry, but Blue Nile has a good reputation and their prices are very good. Tiffany is very, very high priced and you a paying a big premium for the Tiffany name.

TUspiv

Reaction score
Just make sure you tell her you went to Jared's....

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought diamond studs for my wife last year from Blue Nile and they offer good quality for the price. As long as you know you're not getting H&A / premium cut grades, which is fine for earrings, go for it. I'd also recommend www.exceldiamonds.com if you're looking for truly high end diamonds (they have extensive info on their inhouse offerings).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I know a couple of people that were extremely pleased with Blue Nile

Here's their website

It helps if you know something about jewelry, but Blue Nile has a good reputation and their prices are very good. Tiffany is very, very high priced and you a paying a big premium for the Tiffany name.

+1

We actually bought my wife's engagement/wedding ring set off Blue Nile. First you pick the setting(s). Then you pick your diamonds. For the diamonds, you pick the cut, size, color, and clarity to match your budget. Each setting diamond is chosen independently and the baguettes for each band (channel cut bands) came as a group. So it is not quite bespoke, think MTM. The pricing was incredible, we saved about 6k vs. retail and then on top of that, unless you live in Washington state, no sales tax, which can be another huge savings. Then the last thing, they send you a visual inspection of each diamond and an insurance appraisal to get your rider.

Hoff, are you saying their diamonds are second rate? I am not a diamond expert, are not all diamonds of the same cut, color, and clarity fungible?

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on bluenile.com Everyone I know that has used it has loved it.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Hoff, are you saying their diamonds are second rate? I am not a diamond expert, are not all diamonds of the same cut, color, and clarity fungible?

The color, clarity, and carat weight are fairly objective measurements, right? You can use a color chart to compare colors, count the inclusions to note clarity, and weigh it to determine carat weight. So in those three measurements, you can objectively determine which diamond is "better" -- but what matters is the sparkle and fire that the diamond sets off in the light. That is almost totally determined by the cut and skill of the cutter. There are formulae that try and put an objective spin on cut, but the best of the best are determined with light readings to see what they throw back.

So with Blue Nile, you are getting a good price on the color, clarity, and weight of your choice. The cut is the unknown. They also rate the cut of their stones and you can certainly trust their ratings... but there is a "level above" the type of diamonds they sell. Like going to Corthay for MTM instead of ordering OTR Crockett & Jones... the C&J is miles above what most people are wearing, but there is room for improvement. Check out ExcelDiamonds and look at ther Excel Certified round cuts to see the light meter readings I'm talking about -- those are the things I'd look for if I were buying an important solitaire for a ring... when buying earrings, Blue Nile level is more than acceptable.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
The color, clarity, and carat weight are fairly objective measurements, right? You can use a color chart to compare colors, count the inclusions to note clarity, and weigh it to determine carat weight. So in those three measurements, you can objectively determine which diamond is "better" -- but what matters is the sparkle and fire that the diamond sets off in the light. That is almost totally determined by the cut and skill of the cutter. There are formulae that try and put an objective spin on cut, but the best of the best are determined with light readings to see what they throw back.

So with Blue Nile, you are getting a good price on the color, clarity, and weight of your choice. The cut is the unknown. They also rate the cut of their stones and you can certainly trust their ratings... but there is a "level above" the type of diamonds they sell. Like going to Corthay for MTM instead of ordering OTR Crockett & Jones... the C&J is miles above what most people are wearing, but there is room for improvement. Check out ExcelDiamonds and look at ther Excel Certified round cuts to see the light meter readings I'm talking about -- those are the things I'd look for if I were buying an important solitaire for a ring... when buying earrings, Blue Nile level is more than acceptable.

Interesting. I also thought "cut" was "cut" and is fungible too. Guess you learn something every day. All her rocks sparkle quite nicely IMO and she has had multiple comments on the rings, so I guess we're just MTM type people, not bespoke
smile.gif
In fact, for our five year, I intend to go back to Blue Nile for a matching platinum necklace with three matching rocks.

I was actually happy to get her to allow me to buy her a decent ring, she was always against the near monoply market so refused to participate. God I love that woman!
laugh.gif

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to disparage any Blue Nile shoppers as they certainly have good prices on really nice stones -- I've ordered from them a few times. My wife loves her earrings from last year and rarely takes them out. They obviously outsparkle 99% of the comparable things other women are wearing from mall stores.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blue Nile also has a "Signature" collection for diamonds, which is pretty much the top of what you can buy on the market.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I know a couple of people that were extremely pleased with Blue Nile Here's their website It helps if you know something about jewelry, but Blue Nile has a good reputation and their prices are very good. Tiffany is very, very high priced and you a paying a big premium for the Tiffany name.
Has anyone here bought pearls from Blue Nile?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't want to disparage any Blue Nile shoppers as they certainly have good prices on really nice stones -- I've ordered from them a few times. My wife loves her earrings from last year and rarely takes them out. They obviously outsparkle 99% of the comparable things other women are wearing from mall stores.

No worries Hoff, I was not feeling disparged and even if I was, the wife is happy which makes for a happy me. As far as I know, the reason they sparkle so nicely might even be that they are "Signature". I looked at the pictures but know few details about her rings, not even the cut and color, only that I cringed when I got the CC bill
smile.gif

Now that I know about Signature though, I'll make sure to use those in a few years for our 5th wedding anniversary when I surprise her with that necklace.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Their business model is very interesting.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So with Blue Nile, you are getting a good price on the color, clarity, and weight of your choice. The cut is the unknown. They also rate the cut of their stones and you can certainly trust their ratings... but there is a "level above" the type of diamonds they sell.

Allow me a small correction...
smile.gif

Blue Nile specifies GIA or AGS cut rating so it not "Unknown". They don't rate the cut of their stones (except Signature Ideal which are always AGSL "ideal") they just show the ratings of two largest most respected industry rating labaratories: GIA and AGSL.

Blue Nile sells diamonds GIA top cut grade of "excellent" (highest GIA grade) and AGS "ideal" (more demanding than GIA excellent, fewer than 3% of round cut diamonds) as well as "super premium" grade called Blue Nile Signature Ideal.

A lot of other large online retailers have their own super-duper premium cuts but they are not recognized as industry standard the way GIA or AGSL ratings are. Blue Nile calls their premium cuts "Signature Ideal"; other retailers have "Hearts-&-Arrows", "A-Cut-Above", Excel Diamonds has "SuperBcert". etc.

Most of these proprietary standards claim that they can select better diamonds from a group of AGSL "Ideal" diamonds based on perfect symmetry, appeance under certain scopes (Firescope, Ideal-Scope,etc) or fitting into mathematical formulas (HCA). IGA and AGSL do not believe these proprietary "super premiums" offer diamonds that are more attractive to the human eye. I remain sceptical as well, especially since these "super premiums" carry a substantial price premium.

One tidbit: GIA's 70,000 observation survey concluded that diamonds with 'optical symmetry' were not necessarily preferred by its participants in 'blind testing'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads