• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP! very urgent.

Jkhan82

Reaction score
First and foremost, Happy New Year!

I've decided to redo my wardrobe as I have recently started a new job as a designer at a fashion company. I want to start from scratch. I have worked from home for the past few years, mostly in Pj's and my closet doesn't seem well kept. I'm 28yrs old and live in NYC. I've always really been into fashion but my lack of social activities and funds kept me from really investing in a good wardrobe. Most my clothes for the past few years have just been Express and Club Monaco, the shirts don't seem to hold up well, even with the care I put into taking care of them. My shoes have always been Aldo since I rarely wear dress shoes; My 2yr old pairs look brand new; but I still want a pair of good/higher quality shoes. I do own two suits from Hugo Boss ( Black and Grey), that I love and are a great fit on me. Aside from that, I want everything new, from jeans to shirts.

Now, here is my question. If you were building your wardrobe from scratch, What items would you get? What would be the essentials? and what would be the little details that would finish a look? How many number of shirts should I aim to get to last me the week? And outfit's for the night out? What brands for shirts? Jeans? polo's?

I know this is a lot to ask at one time, and I've grabbed the details book and esquire books as well to help me out. But it would be nice to see what everyone's experiences have been. My job doesn't have a dress code, but looking good at your job will definitely be a plus.

thank you in advance.

Amir

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jkhan82

I have recently started a new job as a designer at a fashion company

Now, here is my question. If you were building your wardrobe from scratch, What items would you get? What would be the essentials? and what would be the little details that would finish a look? How many number of shirts should I aim to get to last me the week? And outfit's for the night out? What brands for shirts? Jeans? polo's?

Am I the only one who think a fashion designer should be able to dress themselves?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is this urgent?

You will end up getting better results by taking your time to build a wardrobe.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Am I the only one who think a fashion designer should be able to dress themselves?

I missed that! Good point! A fashion designer that wears Aldo and Hugo Boss?

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
I'm not a fashion designer. I'm a graphic designer. I do promotional work, such as ad's, websites and other marketing material. It just happens to be a fashion company, and I feel so out of the loop.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 white shirts
3 blue shirts
2-3 patterned shirts
3-4 slacks, blue, gray, earth tone, some patterned
1-2 sc to match slacks
1-2 suits blue, charcoal
1 pair nice brown shoes
1 matcing belt
10 pairs undies, undershirts and socks

brand is up to you, dont buy crap, maybe prl, bb or higher end if you can afford it

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Why is this urgent?

You will end up getting better results by taking your time to build a wardrobe.

Well it's sort of urgent, because I'm meeting people for the first time, and everyone is dressed really proper and well put together. I'm working with what I have so far.

I know it'll take time to build a great wardrobe, and I'm willing to invest the time to do the research.

I'm headed over to the Allen Edmond during lunch to see some pairs of shoes; I hear they're a good investment.

I just need some direction, on what brands to check out and what brands to avoid. etc.

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
3 white shirts
3 blue shirts
2-3 patterned shirts
1-2 sc to match slacks
1-2 suits blue, charcoal
1 pair nice brown shoes
1 matcing belt

brand is up to you, dont buy crap, maybe prl, bb or higher end if you can afford it

Thanks for the list!

As for brands, crap is what I'm scared of. Next door to me as Paul Smith, I was checking out the shirts and they seem a bit loud, they had some shirts I did like but they cost like $300-$400. I looked around this forum to see what people were saying about the quality or if it was worth it, and people didn't like the quality. So now even popular brands have me a bit on edge.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
3 white shirts
3 blue shirts
2-3 patterned shirts
1-2 sc to match slacks
1-2 suits blue, charcoal
1 pair nice brown shoes
1 matcing belt

perfect list. If you cant afford all this at once, cut the list a bit. 1 white shirt, 1 blue, 1 pattern, grey slacks and earth tones slacks, and a navy sportcoat. and new shoes. please god new shoes. AE Park aves seem to be pretty much the go to first shoe.

id advise watching the B&S here....incredible deals.

flambard

Reaction score
Always wear a tie. This will become a great habit and help you stand out. As an accessory they are inexpensive to purchase (you can browse the thrift shops) and upkeep the ones you favor. The colors and designs span the universe, but be careful there. You will eventually 'find' your style. A tie worn with a casual outfit will always and instantly elevate you above others who are dressed 'casually'.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flambard
Always wear a tie. This will become a great habit and help you stand out. As an accessory they are inexpensive to purchase (you can browse the thrift shops) and upkeep the ones you favor. The colors and designs span the universe, but be careful there. You will eventually 'find' your style. A tie worn with a casual outfit will always and instantly elevate you above others who are dressed 'casually'.

i cant believe i left this out
5-7 ties to match the slacks/sc/suits

viator

Reaction score
Given he's working at a fashion company in a creative department, maybe this is a situation where he should see how others dress before he goes all-out on SF-approved gear.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
Given he's working at a fashion company in a creative department, maybe this is a situation where he should see how others dress before he goes all-out on SF-approved gear.
It's true. He may be best off buying a skinny black suit, a skinny black tie, and a white or solid color (gray?) skinny collar shirt from Urban Outfitters or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads