• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Understanding Dolce & Gabbana Men Shirt Sizing (17/43 & 17.5/43) - Photos Added

pglover19

Reaction score
I am ready to purchase my first Dolce & Gabbana shirt. You can find a photo of the shirt below.

http://www.bluefly.com/Dolce-Gabbana...901/detail.fly

My question is about sizing. I wear a 16 1/2 neck, 36/37 sleeve length. I have a slim build. I am confused on the European shirt sizes. What is the differnce in a 17/43 and 17.5/43? Based on my US size, what would be the correct size in the Dolce & Gabbana shirt? I was told that the D&G shirts fit slim. Please advise.

pglover19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
.5 inch

Is that just a 1/2" increase in the neck size only or a increase in other parts of the shirt (i.e chest, sleeve length, etc.).

In addition, if I wear a 16 1/2 neck, 36-37 sleeve length in a US size, what is the equivalent in the D & G shirts?

pglover19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
Yes, the 17.5" should be bigger and longer in all places than the 17". However, don't walk around in a 17.5" if you're a 16.5" just because the shirt is D&G -- fit is everything.

Could I get away with wearing the 17/43?

Mac

Reaction score
If you plan on wearing it with a tie you could probably get away with a 17", depending on how comfortable a 16.5" fits you.

If you plan to wear it open neck, neck size doesn't matter, just make sure the sleeves are long enough.

SuitedNBooted

Reaction score
When in doubt I sometimes order two adjacent sizes, and send one back (usually for free).

I can't tell you about their mainline shirts, but shirts in the D&G line fit really tight in the chest. I have to size up (from 39 to 40).

pglover19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
If you plan on wearing it with a tie you could probably get away with a 17", depending on how comfortable a 16.5" fits you.

If you plan to wear it open neck, neck size doesn't matter, just make sure the sleeves are long enough.

Yes.. I will be wearing it open neck without a tie. I got the shirt at a great price.. I mean a great price... I currently have the 17 / 43 and the sleeve is long enough.. However, the shirt is a snug fit.. Maybe that is how D&G shirts fit. That is why I am wondering whether the 17.5/44 will fit better. But again, my neck size is 16 1/2. Please advise....

Icehawk

Reaction score
Why not try some on at a retail outlet?

The Bluefly price isn't very good (per usual IME) - I see these shirts come up quite often on the Beyond the Rack site for less so unless this shirt has a magical quality I can't see I would highly recommend patience - try one on at a store at least first before spending $175.

pglover19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
Why not try some on at a retail outlet?

The Bluefly price isn't very good (per usual IME) - I see these shirts come up quite often on the Beyond the Rack site for less so unless this shirt has a magical quality I can't see I would highly recommend patience - try one on at a store at least first before spending $175.

I can get the shirt for 1/4 of the price listed on Bluefly.....

Mac

Reaction score
It doesn't seem snug on you at all. The shoulders look good and if the collar is comfortable then that's a perfect start. The sleeves are long enough and if the body is long enough then I definitely wouldn't go up another size.

However, if it does feel too tight, be aware that it may shrink in the wash. So, wash, iron, wear, wash, iron, wear and then take another picture.

I'm not sure I like the unevenness of the space between the lines near the placket though.
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads