• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP: Trousers pilling and wearing through

platybank

Reaction score
So I recently had a MTM suit made by Patrick Johnson of P. Johnson Tailors (formerly Suit Shop), in Sydney.

The suit I ordered was cut from Loro Piana Super 120s wool in navy. At the time I was asking about the quality grades of the wool and he said that he would not advise anything higher than 120s because it would be too fragile for a young guy such as myself. He said that the suit was fully canvassed and lined with silk, as were the trousers to the knee. I ended up paying AU$1675 for the suit with two pairs of trousers and received it in early December.

Now to be fair, the suit looks great (I think so anyway). The jacket fits like a glove and the little things like the operational buttons, the initials on the lining and the trouser "fasteners" (no belt loops) do excite me.

But...

The crotches on both pairs of trousers have been pilling almost from the beginning. I used a razor to shave off the pilling after getting both pairs dry cleaned for the first time. Now, about two weeks later, the pilling is starting to get bad again. This evening I took my trousers off and noticed that a hole is developing in the crotch. It devastates me that these trousers are falling apart after about two months both because I paid so much for them and because I really like them.

I know that it is probably difficult to tell, but could one of you very knowledgeable people (
worship.gif
) please give me some advice as to what I should do. I don't know whether it is my fault and I should seek to have them repaired or if I have been ripped off, in which case heads should roll.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. I have attached a photo where you can see my finger through the crotch of the trousers.

EDIT: After some considerable input from the members of this forum I believe that the wear on my suit is due to wearing it too often, in what has been a very humid summer. To the credit of P Johnson, and despite the fact that they are probably well aware of my brash comments in this post, they took my trousers almost immediately and repaired them for me in a matter of days. I do plan on buying another suit from P Johnson in the very near future. I feel that, and I am sure there are many other opinions, for the price of P Johnson's suits there is no equivalent in Sydney.

Last edited by a moderator:

tone76

Reaction score
If the fabric is a bit delicate and you do a lot of walking, the crotch will often go. I've had the crotch go on Super 100s trousers before. That said, that was after 12 months or so of reasonably heavy use (2-3 times per week). I would have thought that Super 120s would last a little longer than a few weeks, but then again I don't know how often you wear the trousers and how far you walk in them.

Go back to P. Johnson and enquire about getting it repaired, and then enquire about getting a silk saddle installed. The silk saddle will protect the trousers from wear and tear - these days, I get a silk saddle installed at the same time I get my trousers hemmed.

Let us know how you get on.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Head back and have a chat to PJ, I'm sure he will be more than willingly to help you out.
Did this happen on one of both pairs of the trousers? Or both but more extensive to one?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does "recently" mean? Two weeks, two months, two years?

Makes a big difference if you state facts not generalities.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
What does "recently" mean? Two weeks, two months, two years? Makes a big difference if you state facts not generalities.
He did
Originally Posted by platybank
It devastates me that these trousers are falling apart after about two months.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, how heavy are you in the thighs? Footy player thick or runner/athletic? This can make a huge difference in the crotch, but still hard to tell without too much context as to how often they are worn.

Also probably well premature to post this before speaking with Patrick again to see what he will do.... just saying.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
As somebody who is planning to buy through PJ in the next month or so, I am quite interested in this thread.
lurker[1].gif

How often do you wear the suit? More then once a week? Have you ever had issues like this happen before?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, head back to Patrick and see what he says and do.

Abit early to start a thread using the words rip-off.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like after a month you had them both cleaned?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
He did

Yes indeed he buried in the excess of words.

However the fact that he claims only to have had it since "early December" makes me even less incined to accept what is said unless the tailor is known as some form of shyster which appears not to be the case from other posts.

Less than 8 weeks for TWO pairs of trousers to pill to that extent is amazing, dry cleaning the so soon is perverse. Even if they have been worn for twelve hours a day each since then one would not expect this. So either the tailor has supplied poor material or the OP is not revealing all the facts..

Something is amiss in all this.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That looks like **** material IMO. Take it back and speak to the tailor.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People really need to think twice (or more) before using words 'ripped off', 'cheated', etc.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not just super numbers but also the type of weave makes a difference in this issue. I have pants I have worn a handfull of times that are starting to do this. Nappier wools do this more. Also, if the trousers are more fitted in the thighs it makes this much worse and like others of said how much your thighs rub together when walking.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very curious to see the whole suit.

I think the OP has a right to be flummoxed by the situation.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Higher supers are not necessarily fragile. Super fine wool is often used to make very fine, soft cloth which can be fragile, but it can also be used to make sturdy cloth. See here for more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads