• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help tropical climate question

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
Hi guys love this group. So here is an opportunity for all of you to help a guy out in Guam. I am a transplant from the mainland, Just started my 7th year. Anyway, I was unable to go to the mainland this summer but am going to have to buy dress trousers via the internet. Here is the burning question, What is the difference been Microfiber and Gabardine. I really need a thin weight since it is always HOT/humid here.

Thanks for any help you can give. BTW, I am a librarian by profession. I must wear trousers that are more "formal" than dockers.

Bob in Guam

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think microfiber is just a made-up name for fine-weave man-made fabric. Tommy Bahama makes microfiber-fabric slacks (actually made of some variety of polyester I assume) that are supremely comfortable. Like pajamas. Yet, they look good enough to wear to the office, or play a round of golf.

Gabardine is fabric weave style I believe. I think it usually refers to a lightweight wool fabric weave.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, microfiber is just a label for synthetics. I have purchased a few pairs of microfiber slacks (various brands), and all have died a fast death. The material pilled up very easily, and wouldn't hold a crease. No experience with Tommy Bahama, so perhaps kabert can comment on the durability as well as the look. Gabardine refers to a tight fabric weave--it can be cotton, wool or even synthetic. I'll leave it to someone with more fabric expertise than I, but I'd describe it as a tight twill, with a smooth surface and a fine diagonal line.

If you have easy access to a good dry cleaners (I think some tropical areas are tough in that regard) I'd go with a lightweight wool rather than microfiber. If you'll need to launder them at home, you are basically stuck with either microfiber or cotton in terms of dress slacks--linen won't fit your environment, will it?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps more important than fabric, focus on the weight of the cloth. Tropical trousers are typically 8 oz. and may be as low as 7oz.

You can get 8 oz. gabardine, and you can get 10 oz. You would not enjoy the heavier trousers on Guam.

Will

quill

Reaction score
kabert is essentially correct. This definition of microfiber is given at http://www.fabriclink.com/Dictionary.html: The name given to ultra-fine manufactured fibers and the name given to the technology of developing these fibers. Fibers made using microfiber technology, produce fibers which weigh less than 1.0 denier. The fabrics made from these extra-fine fibers provide a superior hand, a gentle drape, and incredible softness. Comparatively, microfibers are two times finer than silk, three times finer than cotton, eight times finer than wool, and one hundred times finer than a human hair. Currently, there are four types of microfibers being produced. These include acrylic microfibers, nylon microfibers, polyester microfibers, and rayon microfibers. Gabardine is a tightly woven twill weave, either at a 45 or 63 degree angle. It uses finer yarns (often 62s yarns, which are somewhat similar to a Super 100s-grade wool) to create a very finely ridged diagonal weave. It typically has incredible drape and "flow" to its movement, and the ridges tend to deflect light so that the fabric appears to have a dull luster. They're very dressy in look and feel (if made well), and don't go well with less dressy fabrics or furnishings. I haven't worn any microfiber stuff (not that I'm aware of, anyway), but I LOVE a good pair of Gabs; they're very comfortable and light.

regularjoe

Reaction score
I would think that linen, cotton or blended pants would do well in Guam.

quill

Reaction score
I would think that linen, cotton or blended pants would do well in Guam.
Aah. You hit on it, regularjoe, and good idea. Watchingdetails2002, there is a linen from Belgium called "tissue linen" which is REALLY light (4.95 ounces or so), very airy weave, and very cool. HowEVER: don't wear black underwear with white tissue linen pants, if you get my meaning. That's how gosammer these pants can be. But you can't beat them for airiness. Now let's not forget that some Bedouins in the Sahara wear wool even in summer, due to its ability to wick moisture away and breathe. Sahara. Can't get much hotter than that. (well okay, I can think of certain ladies who are hotter than that, but by then I'd have shed ANY fabric I was wearing
biggrin.gif
).

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
Hey thanks for your help. I have tried wool but way to hot. So I now know a little bit more of what to look for and maybe see what happens. I have a pair of linen pants but felt like I needed a variety other than dockers. Bob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads