• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help - TOWNCRAFT WINGTIPS oxford

creampiggy

Reaction score
Just got this pair of TOWNCRAFT Brown WINGTIPS oxford from eBay. Looks nice to me, but I know nothing about this brand, not to mention the model.

If anyone can give me some information, I will me more than thankful!

159935453_o.jpg

159935444_o.jpg

159935457_o.jpg

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a thought....Do you normally ask for help after buying something? I dont quite follow.....the shoe is yours now, tell us more about it.

Regards.

creampiggy

Reaction score
Since I like the style and it's extremely cheap, didn't care asking. Now they are mine, and I want to more about it. If someone know the characters of the leather, it will also help when I do shoe care.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Towncraft is a J. C. Penney house brand. Depending on the age of the shoe it may have been made by Florsheim or , if it is of more recent vintage, made in India by the same factories contracted to make the current line of Florsheims. In either case they are probably not up to the Imperial line standards, although they have welted construction and the leather appears to be fair.

Edit: They look like they could use a little leather conditioner!

creampiggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
I believe Towncraft is a J. C. Penney house brand. Depending on the age of the shoe it may have been made by Florsheim or , if it is of more recent vintage, made in India by the same factories contracted to make the current line of Florsheims. In either case they are probably not up to the Imperial line standards, although they have welted construction and the leather appears to be fair.

Edit: They look like they could use a little leather conditioner!

Thanks for your great information! Speaking of Florsheim, I also won a pair of Florsheim long wingtips from the same seller. But it seems there were so many variations of the same model in the history. Anyone can tell the age and model from the pictures? Thanks in advance!

150164276_o.jpg

150164283_o.jpg

150164295_o.jpg

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Look fairly recent, within the past 15 years. Not the Kenmoor but something else.......where o where is Teacher?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by creampiggy
Thanks for your great information! Speaking of Florsheim, I also won a pair of Florsheim long wingtips from the same seller. But it seems there were so many variations of the same model in the history. Anyone can tell the age and model from the pictures? Thanks in advance!

I like these Florsheim, were these pictures taken before you wore them? The leather in the second pair seems to be nicer than the first pair.

Regards.

creampiggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
I like these Florsheim, were these pictures taken before you wore them? The leather in the second pair seems to be nicer than the first pair.

Regards.

The pictures are from the seller. I haven't received them yet.

How is the second pair (Florsheim) compared to their Imperial line? If at the same price, is the following Imperial wingtip as good as the above pair? What's the right price for them?

111805216_o.jpg

111805221_o.jpg

111805229_o.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
that last one looked really really worn.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the appeal... Are these being used in a professional setting or casually?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last pair looks like sharkskin to me, ha what a find!

Assuming no cracking of the the uppers then Resole, Reheel, Reline the Footbed, Shoe Cream, Polish. That'll run what about $100-$150 for them to do it right. Shoes would probably retail new for $1,000+ today.

The uppers and inner linings actually look good pretty damn good considering the amount of wear those must have seen. Someone definately cared about the third pair.

creampiggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
Last pair looks like sharkskin to me, ha what a find!

Assuming no cracking of the the uppers then Resole, Reheel, Reline the Footbed, Shoe Cream, Polish. That'll run what about $100-$150 for them to do it right. Shoes would probably retail new for $1,000+ today.

The uppers and inner linings actually look good pretty damn good considering the amount of wear those must have seen. Someone definately cared about the third pair.

...... It's incredible! You are sooo knowledgeable!

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Wow....those certainly do look like sharkskin. If you've not yet purchased them and the price is fair (say 50 bucks), by all means do. Sharkskin in a shoe, by the way, is really from the hide of a shark as opposed to sharkskin in a suit, which is just a tightly woven shiny wool. Good luck on buying these.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sevicable Sharkskin for $9.99 is a steal. Congrats.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair exactly like the first ones posted, and the leather is like cardboard. I think I wore them once.

Still have them though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads