• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help this shirt find some proper pants

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guten Tag

This is my first real post, so I apologize if I seem a bit forward or clueless. I stumbled upon this little hideout just a few hours ago while searching for a new pair of shoes, and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to stick around. I must confess that I feel a bit out of place since I am a sartorial amateur who has only recently cast off my baggy jeans and poor fitting polos. I would like to someday graduate to the higher ranks of polish and sophistication, but in order to get there I'm afraid I need a bit of assistance. Starting now.

Behold this shirt, or at least a portion thereof:

2302004896_2d718b025e.jpg

(Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetourist/2302004896/ sorry for the poor cameraphone pic"”the shirt is purplish in person.)

Now, my question for you kind souls: What color/pattern pant would you suggest for the above pictured garment? All my closet has to offer in at the moment is a pair of gray striped cotton pants. I don't really think they are suitable. I'm willing to purchase whatever color or style is suggested.

Also: In general, what is some good advice for color/pattern matching. Pretend I am blind and have never worn clothing before, which really isn't so far from the truth.

edwin

Reaction score
somewhat dressier solid black trousers

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's been on here for five seconds and already someone who's been on here for eight seconds has recommended black pants. Is this a record?
smile.gif

You have two choices:

1) Pair the shirt with dark gray / charcoal pants (25%)
2) Give the shirt to the same person you gave the striped gray pants to, and start over. (75%)

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
LOL @ letmebefell -- choice two sounds best to me.

@ OP = gray as suggested above or khaki might work. Perhaps some kind of jeans but I don't know much about them. Back when I wore them they only came in one shade of blue.

Cheers, Jim.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
BTW, either here or at Ask Andy's Manton posted two very good articles about color and pattern matching.

Also, the conventional wisdom is when first starting out, use one fancy (stripes, checks, whatever) and and two plains - after more experience you can reverse this.

Cheers, Jim.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@letmebefell

I'll start over. Eventually. But for the moment I have to work with what I have. It fits me reasonably well, and it is going to be worn in a much darker and less discerning environment than here.

Thanks for the tip JimInSoCalif.

presence

Reaction score
light to medium green flat fronted trousers

jr141jr

Reaction score
if you are from new york city , try to visit la rukico tailors they have a wide range of fabrics. hope you will find your choice .
their website is www.tailor.com

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jr141jr
if you are from new york city , try to visit la rukico tailors they have a wide range of fabrics. hope you will find your choice .
their website is www.tailor.com

spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads