• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Tailor ruined my suit

Lindrian

Reaction score
Hello,

I visited a reputable tailor in my town to shorten my sleeves about 1.5-2cm. This was supposed to be a standard procedure, but ended up in disaster.

The tailor moved the buttons up, and removed the faux button roles. The problem is there is a clear mark from the faux button holes, and the fabric looks torn/damaged.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this, or is it game over?

Thanks in advance.

dBA68P7.jpg

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a refund from the tailor for the price of the garment (unless he told you in advance what he was going to do).

What brand suit was it?

Lindrian

Reaction score
Get a refund from the tailor for the price of the garment (unless he told you in advance what he was going to do).

What brand suit was it?
This is a suit from Caruso, it cost me around 1150 usd.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's painful. It's not unwearable, but the tailor cheapened it considerably. I would be really pissed.

Did you talk to the tailor yet?

Edit: Maybe he can move the buttons back up, and create real button holes over the damaged area?

If you need the sleeves shortened, have another tailor shorten it from the sleevehead (granted, this is an expensive alteration if done by a competent tailor).

Lindrian

Reaction score
That's painful. It's not unwearable, but the tailor cheapened it considerably. I would be really pissed.

Did you talk to the tailor yet?

Edit: Maybe he can move the buttons back up, and create real button holes over the damaged area?

If you need the sleeves shortened, have another tailor shorten it from the sleevehead (granted, this is an expensive alteration if done by a competent tailor).
Yes, very painful. I was in shock when I saw it.

I've sent the tailor a message about it, and I am waiting for their reply.
I am trying to keep it in writing to ensure there is adequate proof, if it needs to be taken to small claims court.

There are two potential ways this can be fixed:

1) Leave the sleeve as is, as it is shortened, and try to move the buttons around so that real buttons holes can be created to cover most of the damaged area, and leave it "invisible". This will likely bring the buttons closer to the sleeve end (and not the ideal position I want them in), but can be acceptable.

2) Return the buttons to their original position, create new button holes, and let the sleeve out again. Then the sleeve can be shortened by a real tailor at the shoulder, but is as you said, tricky. Another problem here is the edge (at the end of the sleeve) created by the tailor as she pressed it, as it might not be able to get out of the fabric again.

None the less, I want my money back (which btw was close to 80 USD), and see if someone else can fix it.

SeaDweller

Reaction score
Yes, very painful. I was in shock when I saw it.

I've sent the tailor a message about it, and I am waiting for their reply.
I am trying to keep it in writing to ensure there is adequate proof, if it needs to be taken to small claims court.

There are two potential ways this can be fixed:

1) Leave the sleeve as is, as it is shortened, and try to move the buttons around so that real buttons holes can be created to cover most of the damaged area, and leave it "invisible". This will likely bring the buttons closer to the sleeve end (and not the ideal position I want them in), but can be acceptable.

2) Return the buttons to their original position, create new button holes, and let the sleeve out again. Then the sleeve can be shortened by a real tailor at the shoulder, but is as you said, tricky. Another problem here is the edge (at the end of the sleeve) created by the tailor as she pressed it, as it might not be able to get out of the fabric again.

None the less, I want my money back (which btw was close to 80 USD), and see if someone else can fix it.

Hell no would I just take $80 for the work he did. He should pay for the jacket itself (probably won't) or create new ones. In fact, I would have not even left the store with it like that. Did you not inspect it before leaving?

Lindrian

Reaction score
Hell no would I just take $80 for the work he did. He should pay for the jacket itself (probably won't) or create new ones. In fact, I would have not even left the store with it like that. Did you not inspect it before leaving?
Not well enough.

Ive had this tailor do work before, so I trusted them. I jus checked the sleeve length quickly and left as I was in a hurry.

I could not have imagined something like this would have happened though, not in my wildest dreams.

Lesson learnt.

SeaDweller

Reaction score
Not well enough.

Ive had this tailor do work before, so I trusted them. I jus checked the sleeve length quickly and left as I was in a hurry.

I could not have imagined something like this would have happened though, not in my wildest dreams.

Lesson learnt.

Assuming you have a good rapport with him, I'd see what he could do to rectify it. That's just wrong.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Demand he replaces the suit at his cost. That cannot be deemed to be the work of a reputable tailor. Is he subbing such work out?

Lindrian

Reaction score
Look for posts on the fit of the 915 last. There are some in this thread (including by me), and plenty on Styleforum and other sites as well.

Assuming you have a good rapport with him, I'd see what he could do to rectify it. That's just wrong.

Demand he replaces the suit at his cost. That cannot be deemed to be the work of a reputable tailor. Is he subbing such work out?

I don't think so, but maybe.

I have asked for her to pay me back for the suit, now we wait to see what she says.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another example which says to me that she is nothing more than a charlatan who should be forced to reimburse you for the full cost of the suit, is these sham button holes. She has not troubled to replace the sham button holes which is a disgrace.

Lindrian

Reaction score
I've spoken with the manufacturer and the place of purchase. They want me to send it to them before doing anything else, so they can assess the damage. I guess this is good, for the sake of proof.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only mistake this person made was either not knowing or not telling you that removing the faux buttonholes would leave a blemish on the cloth or even both. This would occur regardless of the tailor doing the work. This does not show any deficiency in the tailor's work. Removing the original stitching probably took as long as shortening the sleeves. It's not easy and is tedious to do. These machine made faux buttonhole stitches are so tight and spaced so close together they bruise the weave of the cloth. It is more obvious on such a hard worsted cloth. Whenever I've had to deal with this I would explain, before starting the work, that removing the stitching will leave a mark on the cloth. This is what the person could/should have done. There are occasions that no mark is left but it is rare. Buttonholes, real or faux can be made to cover the spots and you have the choice of leaving the sleeve as is or return to original length and shorten from the top. The latter requires a skilled tailor who knows how to recut the sleeve and hang the sleeves properly.

Lindrian

Reaction score
The only mistake this person made was either not knowing or not telling you that removing the faux buttonholes would leave a blemish on the cloth or even both. This would occur regardless of the tailor doing the work. This does not show any deficiency in the tailor's work. Removing the original stitching probably took as long as shortening the sleeves. It's not easy and is tedious to do. These machine made faux buttonhole stitches are so tight and spaced so close together they bruise the weave of the cloth. It is more obvious on such a hard worsted cloth. Whenever I've had to deal with this I would explain, before starting the work, that removing the stitching will leave a mark on the cloth. This is what the person could/should have done. There are occasions that no mark is left but it is rare. Buttonholes, real or faux can be made to cover the spots and you have the choice of leaving the sleeve as is or return to original length and shorten from the top. The latter requires a skilled tailor who knows how to recut the sleeve and hang the sleeves properly.
Thanks for the reply.

I was never informed of this. All I wanted was to shorten my sleeve. If it is from the shoulder or from the bottom, it doesn't matter to me, as long as the garment is not damaged. I don't know if shortening from the shoulder is easier or harder with a neapolitan shoulder, like the one I have.

As for the cloth itself, the issue is that it looks snagged (micro tears?). As if I caught on something sharp and got a small rip/damage.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
exactly my point, this person should have known and told you up front or maybe they don't do this type of work often and weren't aware it would happen. The marks in the cloth are caused from the machine stitches done to create the faux buttonholes and not from removing the stitches. Removing the stitches merely expose the damage. Shortening sleeves from the top is very difficult and time consuming

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads