• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help! Suit sleeve problems

HRomanus

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:

Simplex

Reaction score
I think the best option is to add a button at the bottom. Another option is to have your tailor take a small section of that fabric from somewhere and cover the button hole, then move the button down.

AriG

Reaction score
Eeh just leave it. Chances are you're gonna be unhappy after an attempt to fix it. I mean when you comissionend lenghtening of the sleeve you could have anticipated this, no? It's not the tailor's fault.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would donate that jacket/suit. I couldn't really wear it.

AriG

Reaction score
Or, if you're not filthy rich, shorten it back and sell it. Since you had it for a year without caring about the sleeve length, can't be too bad.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Or, if you're not filthy rich, shorten it back and sell it. Since you had it for a year without wearing once, can't be too bad.

:teach:

AriG

Reaction score
Now you quoted me too quickly it looks awkward. He says he hasn't had it tailored until recently, so maybe he's worn it but then realized he wasn't happy with the sleeve length. Anyway, there's a few options for you now. Good luck.

HRomanus

Reaction score
Eeh just leave it. Chances are you're gonna be unhappy after an attempt to fix it. I mean when you comissionend lenghtening of the sleeve you could have anticipated this, no? It's not the tailor's fault.
I had never had the issue with prior jackets, but I didn't even think about the functional button-holes being different. As soon as I picked it up I realized the issue. For my budget, it was too expensive to just move on from and replace. It was intended to serve as my go-to suit for law school (which I'm starting this fall), particularly interviews. I have never worn it - I knew I needed to lengthen the sleeves.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%