• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help!!!! Style Advice

chris_smith11

Reaction score
Hi, I need to redo my wardrobe. I know little about style, I tend to wear a v-neck sweater t shirt thing with jeans, I have bunch of sweaters. You could say im stuck in the preppy look. I hate any neon or really skater streatwear, i have yet to find a hoodie that matches what i like, i find them too trashy. What are cheap alternatives that fit a student budget. Any must have additions?

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay start with a Google search of the following:

AA
Uniqlo
Zara
H&M

Then check out Michael J Krell in the affiliates.

Advice, from one new guy to another: you'll learn more by reading stuff here and there and adopting it than by having your style "tailor-made" by SF in a thread like this one.

Mame

Reaction score
Try casual blazers, they will make you fell different and still dressed up. Just try to jump out of your comfort zone and try everything on in the store, you'll relize you like things you would never of even concidered.

Hoodies can sometimes look a little too casual so try just a normal zip up with out the hood, sometimes you can get some really nice woven ones.

pinoy

Reaction score
My main concern when newcomers post these "i need help with my style" threads is that SFers tend to force newbies to mold to the "SF uniform" which primarily consists of AA tees, raw denim, and some sort of boots or sneakers. While I don't think you can ever really go wrong with such a basic setup, I think it would be a wiser idea to encourage people to find a style they like and work from there.

To the OP:
Style isn't something that others should force upon you; rather, it should come from within. Browse through the forum's WAYWT threads, flip through magazines, check out stores. Until you figure out what style you want to pursue, I'd say many of the more specific recommendations on this thread are useless. Once you figure out what style you are going for, then I'm sure many of the folks here would be more than happy to push you in the right direction and give you advice with regards to brands, fit, etc.

Goblin

Reaction score
A Google search of "AA" will yield only coincidentally useful results.

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinoy
My main concern when newcomers post these "i need help with my style" threads is that SFers tend to force newbies to mold to the "SF uniform" which primarily consists of AA tees, raw denim, and some sort of boots or sneakers.
+1

Besides, the uniform must be earned. Semper Fey!

hi-val

Reaction score
To the OP:

This is akin to coming to a car forum, saying "I drive a beater 89 Celica and I want a newer car. I'm on a student budget. What should I get?" You can see how this leaves anyone who wants to help you with tragically little information. Tell us:

What you have already

How much you're willing to spend per-piece and for your total budget

Where you live geographically

What occasions you want to dress for

How much time you want to spend in the morning getting ready, whether you want to iron clothes

What your understanding of color and matching clothes is

How formal you need your wardrobe to be

How many items you need in your wardrobe

Whether you're a tee shirt, polo or button-up kind of dresser or which you want to be

Whether you want to continue your preppy look or go away from it

Personally, I am getting more into the preppy aesthetic, especially after getting out of university. It's kind of a reaction to the casual look that everyone does. If you're interested in the look, do a search on the forums and then ask some more directed questions in this thread. You've got to help us so we can help you.

selbsttatig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by morph07
also dont forget the shoes... find a nice white shoes! a safe color but very fashionable

You cant go wrong with white

awesome shoes! my favorite will be the Puma shoes.. white shoes is my favorite.. why dont you try it too..

You like them? The white shoes?

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by selbsttatig
You like them? The white shoes?
jseinfeld_375x375.jpg

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
jseinfeld_375x375.jpg

Who aaahhhh these people?

It also helps to pull your pants up to your sternum old man stylee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads