• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Request: Gingham Shirt Match

JBG89

Reaction score
I've developed a liking for gingham shirts as seen below, however i find most of my ties are patterned and do not work quite well with the shirts I have.

Could you guys please provide me with some suggestions into what may fit well with these patterns and colors?

Thanks! .:happy:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say a solid navy tie would go well with just about all those shirts. A royal blue gingham shirt paired with a navy knit tie is one of my favorite shirt/tie combos.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
navy or burgundy solid.

Darker ties preferably.

msart84

Reaction score
I think club ties work great with gingham. If one of the colors in the icon on the tie can match the color of the shirt, perfect!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As noted above, solid ties such as a solid navy tie go well with gingham shirts.

Ties with small patterns on them also go well with gingham shirts. For example, a navy tie with small white, pink, or red pindots will go well with almost any gingham shirt.

Printed silk ties with small patterns (sometimes referred to as "neat" or "neats" with regard to the printed silk patterns) also go very well with gingham shirts as the printed pattern on the tie gives it some visual interest and can help to compliment the colour of the shirt, without being large/obvious enough to clash with the checked pattern of the shirt.

As an example, have a look at ties from brands such as Drakes, Marinella, Holliday and Brown or Panta to see some great printed silks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads