• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help: removing orange juice stains

gregory

Reaction score
Hello, Can anyone advise me how to remove orange juice stains from a shirt? I noticed the stains only after washing/drying my shirt. Thereafter, I tried washing them again after applying detergent at the relevant spots to no avail. In a quite silly fashion, I also tried to brush the stains with toothpaste. Didn't work either
smile.gif

JohnMS

Reaction score
If you have a set-in stain it could be difficult; however, here are some things that have worked for us. May or may not work for your particular stain.

There are a number of products we've used on our laundry to get out most stains our young children seem to spill on their clothing. Here they are (no particular order, some work better than others, depending on the type of stain:

Zout (a spray). This has worked well on grass and mud.

OxiClean. They have a spray version that we have had better luck with than the kind you mix. I was actually putting Allen Edmonds merlot shoe polish on some shoes one day and accidently spilled an amount the size of a dime on our beige carpet. This spray removed the stain completely.

Fells naptha. A barsoap-looking thing that has worked well when zout hasn't come through.

Any combination of the above. For set stains when it's either throw away the garment or try something, I've used Thorlo with some success.

All this again depending on the fabric and type of stain.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Gregory:

If the stain has been dried it may be impossible since heat often sets a stain.

SUGAR

Any substance containing sugar can stain fabric. (That's mostly everything) like juice, beer, ketchup, soft drinks, wine, coffee, fruit, etc. Sponge immediately with cold water, and wash as quickly as possible.

Make sure the stain is gone before drying.

It's worse when you don't see the stain (such as clear liquids like ginger ale, etc.) When the professional laundry pressing pad touches the substance imbedded in the fibers (it's concentrated enough not be washed out) the sugar heats, and turns brown (usually forever.).

FRUITS and FRUIT JUICES

Sponge the fabric immediately with cold water. Then soak in the laundry. If the stain persists, try white vinegar and some liquid dishwashing soap. If the shirt is white you can try a little hydrogen peroxide and chlorine bleach.

And/or apply a little lemon juice to the stain (not a good idea on silks, or other delicate fabrics).

Let us know if you get the stain out and what worked.

Andy

gregory

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind responses.
smile.gif
I live in a college dorm so I don't have most of the items mentioned above, but I did try handsoap and dishwashing soap without success. So what do you do with stained shirts? Throw them away? Or use them underneath a sweater? For your information, the shirt I stained is the Jantzen shirt I posted online sometime ago. Sadly, I find it therapeutic to peel and eat oranges... so I guess more accidents will happen.

gululv

Reaction score
Bumping a seven year old thread now, I know making new threads is not so popular around here..
I have some stains from fruit on my oatmeal loopwheeler sweater. I tried with shaving foam, as I have had miracle results with that on dried red wine stains, but it didn't work here. What can I do?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gululv
Bumping a seven year old thread now, I know making new threads is not so popular around here..
I have some stains from fruit on my oatmeal loopwheeler sweater. I tried with shaving foam, as I have had miracle results with that on dried red wine stains, but it didn't work here. What can I do?

What kind of fruit? All deference to Mr. Bateman above; cranberry stains are tough to get out.

Loopwheeler is fleece, right? What are the care instructions on the sweater?

Icehawk

Reaction score
Try Fels Naptha - it works on a lot of very tough stains including oil, you can find it at the grocery store and it looks like a bar of soap.

gululv

Reaction score
Fels Naptha - I don't think this product exists in Sweden, where I live. Any other product I could try?

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnMS
If you have a set-in stain it could be difficult; however, here are some things that have worked for us. May or may not work for your particular stain.

There are a number of products we've used on our laundry to get out most stains our young children seem to spill on their clothing. Here they are (no particular order, some work better than others, depending on the type of stain:

Zout (a spray). This has worked well on grass and mud.

OxiClean. They have a spray version that we have had better luck with than the kind you mix. I was actually putting Allen Edmonds merlot shoe polish on some shoes one day and accidently spilled an amount the size of a dime on our beige carpet. This spray removed the stain completely.

Fells naptha. A barsoap-looking thing that has worked well when zout hasn't come through.

Any combination of the above. For set stains when it's either throw away the garment or try something, I've used Thorlo with some success.

All this again depending on the fabric and type of stain.

I'm heading to the store now, my wardrobe is getting ruined because I am a messy eater!

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
I've had quite good luck with Shout Advanced. You may have to use it multiple times though. The only thing I haven't been able to fully get out is blood (smacked a mosquito)
facepalm.gif
on biege, but even that is barely noticeable now. It has worked on juice, dye, and other random things.

Dicky Dicardo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WorkingOnIt
I've had quite good luck with Shout Advanced. You may have to use it multiple times though. The only thing I haven't been able to fully get out is blood (smacked a mosquito)
facepalm.gif
on biege, but even that is barely noticeable now. It has worked on juice, dye, and other random things.

nothing beats hydrogen peroxide for blood

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gululv

Holy thread revival Batman!

cxbehring

Reaction score
Weirdly enough, if it's your blood, spit on it. The enzymes or whatever in your saliva break down your blood (doesn't work so well for other people's). Gently rub the saliva into the fabric to start lifting the stain, then wash asap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads