Help: R.M. Williams Boots: How me pick a Last/Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

Edit: Help me pick a last. My bad

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...ECD6850AE70656

I really like the refined yet semi rugged dress boots by them. I'm looking for a nose and last like my Zegna ankle boots. So what do you like?

I'm going to wear these with jeans.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Soph

2. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Speaking as an Australian here, RM's aren't a refined look. They are above all a functional item, albeit trying for some sort of cultural jujutsu to badge themselves as a lifestyle brand.

For us mostly city-dwelling Aussies, there's a popular romance about the countryside, and there are always businessmen who try to affect an RM's with a suit look. It's pretty tragic. With jeans, you look like a farmer (especially with brown RM's...). There's no right way to do it.

If I were you, I'd go for some chukkas by an English maker, or maybe some Italian zip-sided boots. Gucci make some that are hot as shit, and won't cost a great deal more than RM's if you get them on sale.

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Speaking as an Australian here, RM's aren't a refined look. They are above all a functional item, albeit trying for some sort of cultural jujutsu to badge themselves as a lifestyle brand.
    Well, that starting point and marketing approach seems to have worked out quite well for Levi's... I like them. My boss wears them with pinstripe business suits, and I think they work well. (Admittedly, this is Europe, and few people know what they are)

4. timekeeping

timekeeping Well-Known Member

The craftsmen RM William boot in Kangeroo skin is interesting. Chiesel toe and the dressiest of them all. They are also indestructible but can't really be polished to a high shine.

They are everywhere in Australia. People do wear them with suits and that look has worn pretty thin here.

It could be an interesting addition to the shoe collection of someone in Europe/US.

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last are the Veal calf.
    I think they would be perfect with jeans, and I'm in USA, I've never seen nor heard of RM Williams in my life until someone said my Zegna ankle boots looked like them.

Our Top of the Line Dress boot.
    Luxury French veal calf leather, leather lined.
    Sewn welt leather soles with flat heels
    Individual protective moleskin boot bag for each boot .
    Chisel square toes.
    Chestnut (dark brown) and Black leather.
    Mens 6-12 (US7-13)

6. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I shall say, that last pair are quite attractive, in the darker shade. RM's generally don't hold a shine, and are pretty tough leather, but they seem to be the exception. Please please please wear them with bootcut denim, though...tapered jeans bunching at the ankle is a horror best avoided. [​IMG]

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm considering a pair of the black Comfort Craftsman as winter boots to wear not only with jeans (I prefer bootcut jeans), but also with odd jackets and trousers: http://www.bootsonline.com.au/default1.htm Should I rethink my plans and instead go for something from C&J, perhaps?

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG]

Thinman, I think these in the high end veal are just amazing for jeans/casual wear.
    $270 and Chestnut color should be the ticket to boot paradise.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

[​IMG]

Thinman, I think these in the high end veal are just amazing for jeans/casual wear.
    $270 and Chestnut color should be the ticket to boot paradise.

I agree that I like the high-end veal better, but I need rubber soles for wear on ice, salt, and an occasional several inches of snow. If they look really sharp, I might even be able to walk through beer and pretzels in them.[​IMG] I generally also like brown better, but I already own a pair of deep brown chelsea boots (my one pair of boots), so I'm thinking of black for my next pair.

10. MBB

MBB New Member

As an Aussie who has lived in the country and in the city (now living in Canberra, the best of both worlds), I rekon you should go for it. I have three pairs of RM's - a pair of chestnut Jophur Turnout's (my favourites), a pair of brown suede Craftsmen and a pair of black Craftsmen. You will find that after a while, they mold to your foot and become extremely comfortable.

You can get a high shine on them, but it takes a couple of months. They look great with moleskins, bootcout jeans or anything you want. They may not the answer for everyone, but they sell very well in Aus. I have been told by many a female that they like the look of a man in shiny RM's.

You can get a better price on the entire RM WIlliams range of boots at www.nungar.com.au. That's where I got my pair of suede Craftsmen from.

Cheers....

Edit: Help me pick a last. My bad

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...ECD6850AE70656

I really like the refined yet semi rugged dress boots by them. I'm looking for a nose and last like my Zegna ankle boots. So what do you like?

I'm going to wear these with jeans.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Soph