• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help purchasing a suit: $1k-2k

ElDee26

Reaction score
Hello all. Brand new to this forum, so if I posted this in the wrong place I apologize.

I've been looking online, but it's tough to really see the quality of a suit through my computer screen. I was wondering if anyone would recommend me the best suits/ stores to find a black suit for around $1,000-2,000.

I know to a lot of people "quality" refers to how a suit fits. I'm 5'8, 150lbs (skinny). I live in the Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area, so if anyone knows a good place to go suit shopping around here, please drop a name!

I love the suits Tony Soprano wears, which are mostly Brioni if I'm correct, and unfortunately that's out of my price range (for now). But if there are any suits out there that are similar to the quality/ style of his suits, that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your replies!

weissmenswear

Reaction score
Unless you already have navy and grey suits in your wardrobe, I’d stay away from black suits. Black is best reserved for tuxedos only, and any place you might consider a black suit (namely, funerals) you’ll find that a nice charcoal will be just as acceptable and 1000x more versatile in any other everyday setting (work, date night, etc.).

If you’re really new to this, start at Spier and Mackay (web only, sponsor here) or Suitsupply. Both offer an exceptionally well made product and represent a tremendous value. You can put some of that money to a second suit and a great pair of Goodyear welted shoes to match. After these kinds of ready to wear brands, you’re honestly going to step up significantly more in cost to go either high-end MTM or bespoke, and it’s all diminishing returns from there unless you have a very strange body shape (which it sounds you don’t).

Moose22

Reaction score
I can't agree more on charcoal vs. black.

Black and non formal makes you look like you're Elwood Blues, or a waiter, or that you're trying to pull off the early 60s mod look. Black is best for very formal and after dark.

Lots of "black" suit looks are charcoal, or dark grey. I just did a web search for Tony Soprano Suits and only one is black, the rest are dark grey (one mid grey) charcoal, or pinstriped. The black suits in John Wick are all dark grey or charcoal. In the daytime, dark greys just work better, and nobody will ever think you're not formal.

Choose what you want, but I do think this is something to consider.

I get mine from Mytailor, a made to measure place that's a little higher end since I can go in and see the tailors. Spier and Mackay was mentioned, and they have a good rep. As do other made to measure places. If you go to Suit Supply and get good measurements you'll probably do a lot better than off the rack (OTR), though in Miami I'm sure someone might be able to recommend a good menswear store or a good local tailor to make OTR fit you properly. Fit is far and away the most important thing to make a suit look good and be comfortable.

weissmenswear

Reaction score
I can't agree more on charcoal vs. black.

Black and non formal makes you look like you're Elwood Blues, or a waiter, or that you're trying to pull off the early 60s mod look. Black is best for very formal and after dark.

Lots of "black" suit looks are charcoal, or dark grey. I just did a web search for Tony Soprano Suits and only one is black, the rest are dark grey (one mid grey) charcoal, or pinstriped. The black suits in John Wick are all dark grey or charcoal. In the daytime, dark greys just work better, and nobody will ever think you're not formal.

Choose what you want, but I do think this is something to consider.

I get mine from Mytailor, a made to measure place that's a little higher end since I can go in and see the tailors. Spier and Mackay was mentioned, and they have a good rep. As do other made to measure places. If you go to Suit Supply and get good measurements you'll probably do a lot better than off the rack (OTR), though in Miami I'm sure someone might be able to recommend a good menswear store or a good local tailor to make OTR fit you properly. Fit is far and away the most important thing to make a suit look good and be comfortable.
I’ll also vouch for MyTailor (Joe and Divij Hemrajani). I use them for all my shirts and I just started a sport coat with them in September. You could get a great suit from them for the price range you quoted, but if you’re still early in your menswear journey, leverage them for recommendations on fabric, style and finishing. There’s a real tendency/temptation for guys to go overboard with custom suiting when you’re just starting out and you’ll accidentally make something that’s not in any way versatile and you’ll regret it very quickly. We’ve all done it...and maybe it’s just an inevitable part of the journey, but we’ll try to pass as much wisdom on as possible!

Moose22

Reaction score
Can't agree enough. About buying something too over the top, of course, but also about Joe and Divij.

In my case, I can visit them at their HQ. But for the OP they do travel fitting, too, where the tailor will bring the sample books and do the measuring. I don't know if they have anything coming up in South Florida, but it's worth checking out. They have an almost unlimited selection under $2k.

Divij really helped me with my choices the first time in and I ended up with a navy suit in a Loro Piana fabric that I would hold up to any Brioni for quality and fit at maybe a quarter the cost. It's the sort of suit I'll wear for years that will work for anything I'd ever want a suit for, business or social. The coat is amazing, and somehow flattering to my less than ideal body shape. They knew how to steer me toward the best style and fit, and made the tweaks necessary to make it fit perfectly. Just saw Joe for a Charcoal suit 6 weeks ago, and he did my sportcoat last year.

I had a local tailor who is good, but he just sells OTR and adjusts it and he doesn't have a selection in larger sizes. So he'll try to talk you into whatever he has in stock and it's take it or leave it. The price difference is not much to get one custom.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been looking online, but it's tough to really see the quality of a suit through my computer screen. I was wondering if anyone would recommend me the best suits/ stores to find a black suit for around $1,000-2,000.
Since you are new here and don't know much about suits, I second going to suitsupply - they have two locations in the Miami area. Their prices range from $400 - $1000+ so they are well within your price point. They have a wide range of designs from more conservative to fashion forward which should help with your meeting the "Tony Soprano in Brioni" look you're after. IF you want bigger brand names you could try cruising through the main shopping boulevards in Miami or Bal Harbour and see if you find something you like.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.