• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** Help, Prom on Wednesday ***

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
what's your budget like? How often will you be wearing it? If you are only 15, you are likely to grow out anything that you buy now. So you may want to hire your suit instead. But since its only a couple of days away, I'm not sure if you have enough time to shop around.

Also, don't just concentrate on shirts/tie/suit, a pair of good shoes is vital.

Good luck and have fun.

7M33R

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madaboutshirt
what's your budget like? How often will you be wearing it? If you are only 15, you are likely to grow out anything that you buy now. So you may want to hire your suit instead. But since its only a couple of days away, I'm not sure if you have enough time to shop around.

Also, don't just concentrate on shirts/tie/suit, a pair of good shoes is vital.

Good luck and have fun.

I have some good black shoes.

Well, my dad said that a £300-£350 suit is ok, but I said I don't want to waste money like that, since I am still growing.

And besides, I'll only wear it for weddings and this prom.

7M33R

Reaction score
Ok, I've researched into the difference between a Tux and suit, and now I realize I need a Tuxedo.

Ok, can you get charcoal Tuxedos?

7M33R

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 7M33R
Ok, I've researched into the difference between a Tux and suit, and now I realize I need a Tuxedo.

At least I think that I need a Tux for proms and weddings.

blush.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A tuxedo is acceptable in black, or midnight blue. A charcoal tuxedo is just wrong.

aKula

Reaction score
I'd get a suit for versatility. Tuxedos are not traditionally worn at weddings in the UK. Please forget the idea of wearing a black shirt they look horrible. Shirts generally look better in lighter colours (white, blue, pink or with tasteful patterns).

7M33R

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
A tuxedo is acceptable in black, or midnight blue. A charcoal tuxedo is just wrong.

Yeah I just researched that. Ok, so if I go for tuxedo I get black, if I go for suit, I don't, right?

And then with the tux, white shirt, black tie, I'm thinking white tie could look pretty nice.

If I go suit, Charcoal suit, white shirt, black tie?

Oh, and I have this shirt... http://www.guideclothing.co.uk/ (The black and white one, it's among the first shirts to pop up)

It's an option, but of course what suit do you think would look good with it?

7M33R

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aKula
I'd get a suit for versatility. Tuxedos are not traditionally worn at weddings in the UK. Please forget the idea of wearing a black shirt they look horrible. Shirts generally look better in lighter colours (white, blue, pink or with tasteful patterns).
What do you think of the black and white patterned shirt I have, does it provide enough contrast for me to get away with it? Ok, suit it is then. Here is the shirt:
guideg.jpg

7M33R

Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided on charcoal suit, black tie and white shirt.

Should look good. Anyone disagree?

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided on charcoal suit, black tie and white shirt. Should look good. Anyone disagree?
It sounds fine, but why not go with some more color? Is your prom requiring you to dress very formally? I remember at my prom guys were wearing suits with colored shirts. One guy sitting at my table wore a green suit. Unfortunately I was talked into buying a black suit, which I wore with a blue shirt and gold colored tie
confused.gif
. The problem with black suits is there are few occasions that call for a black suit. A navy or gray would be more versatile. Plus, I wouldn't expect to grow too much in the next few years. You look about 17, am I right? A suit should last you a few years.

deanayer

Reaction score

We have a winner - shine all hell out of your shoes, get everything altered to fit. If the shoes are going to be bought new then wear them for a day or half a day before hand to break them in.

aKula

Reaction score
Sounds like you're on the right track. I personally wouldn't wear a solid black long tie though. Firstly it is rather boring and secondly it screams tuxedo replacement. Due to this it looks like the wearer is trying too hard to fit in, but due to the highly uniform nature of a tuxedo it ends up looking completely incongruent. So white dots on a black tie or something similar is better than a solid black.

Having said that I can see skinny solid black ties being pulled off in the right context and the right choice of clothes, though it'd be a very trendy look and difficult to pull off.

As for the shirt you posted above, it seems a little too casual for me to be worn with a suit and particularly with a tie.

I don't want to worry you too much. The important thing is to wear clothes you like and then enjoy yourself.

Finally I'd recommend a pocket square for your breast pocket as a final touch.

7M33R

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
It sounds fine, but why not go with some more color? Is your prom requiring you to dress very formally? I remember at my prom guys were wearing suits with colored shirts. One guy sitting at my table wore a green suit. Unfortunately I was talked into buying a black suit, which I wore with a blue shirt and gold colored tie
confused.gif
. The problem with black suits is there are few occasions that call for a black suit. A navy or gray would be more versatile. Plus, I wouldn't expect to grow too much in the next few years. You look about 17, am I right? A suit should last you a few years.

I'm 15, so I should still be growing, right? Thanks for your help guys, maybe of I can I'll upload pics of what I've bought.

wilhelm

Reaction score

Perfect.

If your budget is £350, spend half of it on a decent pair of shoes. Something like this, perhaps:

2162shoemakayr.jpg

(That one is from Loake, and costs £120.)

Then buy a cheap suit and get it tailored to fit you better. That will make the difference between this:

00007f.jpg

.. and this:

00008f.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads