• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP! Problem with Kiwi wax polish cracking on shoes

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I use Kiwi wax polish to polish my plain toe double monks. After a few wearings, the wax I guess dried up and it cracked and flaked and is coming off and it really doesnt look good. I decided to strip the old polish off using saddle soap and after reapplied a few thin coats of kiwi. After 1 day of wear, it cracked again and is flaking. This hasnt ever happened to any of my other shoes. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I was thinking Saphir but I need some input on what to buy and how to do it (conditioner, renovateur, cream etc).

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG01205-20120325-0039.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please post a decent photo of the KIWI polish you used

Last edited:

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, as I posted a few minutes ago, first call would be to take them to your local shoe repair shop and let them fix them up for you. If that's not reasonable, or you prefer to tackle it yourself, this method posted here would be the ticket:

http://riderboot.com/2012/03/24/shell-cordovan-clean-up/

Just skip the mixing of Renovateur and cream that we do on shell cordovan, and go right to wax. I'm sure that'll fix them right up.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a pro at this, but I'm guessing the wax polish was maybe not fully removed? Take my suggestion with a grain of salt but maybe try Lexol cleaner, then use Reno, and shoe cream (let the cream sit overnight each time) for a couple of coats. I would let that settle for a bit then later use paste/wax polish.

Just a thought.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think dsmivtr is on the right track - although I'd not bother to strip them - I'd just work off the excess wax as follows:

Renovatuer. Apply by rubbing in thoroughly - wait 3 minutes - buff thoroughly with a brush. Do this twice - 24 hours apart. You should see a fair amount of black pigment coming off on the application rag.

The reno will moisturize, the rubbing during the application process will help redistribute and lift off some of the wax, and the buffing will also help redistribute the product.

If, after wearing, the flaking continues repeat the process above.

I suspect you have a combination of dry shoes combined with too much wax. This process should fix both issues.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, as I posted a few minutes ago, first call would be to take them to your local shoe repair shop and let them fix them up for you. If that's not reasonable, or you prefer to tackle it yourself, this method posted here would be the ticket:
http://riderboot.com/2012/03/24/shell-cordovan-clean-up/
Just skip the mixing of Renovateur and cream that we do on shell cordovan, and go right to wax. I'm sure that'll fix them right up.

I think dsmivtr is on the right track - although I'd not bother to strip them - I'd just work off the excess wax as follows:
Renovatuer. Apply by rubbing in thoroughly - wait 3 minutes - buff thoroughly with a brush. Do this twice - 24 hours apart. You should see a fair amount of black pigment coming off on the application rag.
The reno will moisturize, the rubbing during the application process will help redistribute and lift off some of the wax, and the buffing will also help redistribute the product.
If, after wearing, the flaking continues repeat the process above.
I suspect you have a combination of dry shoes combined with too much wax. This process should fix both issues.

I do think there is benefit is working through the wax and also wearing the shoes. When I tackle some home project, I try to wear the shoes often hoping that the flexing, warmth of the use, and exposure to the environment would help... or at least a placebo effect :embar:.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not take them out to get shined and have them work their magic?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads