• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Please...need recommendations on work attire

teampunjabi

Reaction score
Looking to construct some work ensembles. Just started full-time in Jan. and looking to purchase some new shirts, slacks, shoes, socks. The most important being the first 3. I have an athletic build at 5'8 160lbs and looking for a nice slim fit with my shirts and pants. Recommendations? I was thinking Incotex for some black pants. I hear those are slim-fit. I found some for 199 on Gilt-Man, good price?

Shirts I see a lot of choices on Gilt man however I always act too late and miss out. What are some brands and their fits that I should look out for? Also if there are stores that I should go visit please name them. Thanks in advance!

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
location? what size do you normally wear?

I wouldn't drop $200 on Gilt just yet........shop around and get a feel for the price range you're willing to spend on.

teampunjabi

Reaction score
Budget: I am a fan of quality and fit. If I have to pay the extra $ for a nice fit I will do so. Now I dont want to pay $250 for one dress shirt. But if you have different options for different price points I would like to hear as much as you are willing to tell.

I normally wear a small for a snug fit on normal shirts and a medium if the brand is very slim sometimes.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teampunjabi
Budget: I am a fan of quality and fit. If I have to pay the extra $ for a nice fit I will do so. Now I dont want to pay $250 for one dress shirt. But if you have different options for different price points I would like to hear as much as you are willing to tell.

I normally wear a small for a snug fit on normal shirts and a medium if the brand is very slim sometimes.

Did you omit jackets intentionally? I suppose it's possible to wear just a dress shirt and slacks, but it never looks right to me. Makes me think Mormon every time I see it.

teampunjabi

Reaction score
Sorry havent posted much...

I work in the accounting industry and we are business casual. So no suit or tie needed.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not sure about your budget so here's a few to check...
- Brooks Brothers slim (check 1818 line instead of 346) or if u can afford the Black Fleece line, the better
- Charles Thywritt or TM Lewin

For my dress shoe...what do you guys think about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Edmonds-Me...#ht_796wt_1139

call AE shoebank right away for seconds...ongoing sale right now with extra 20% off...go buy 1 black cap toe (eg Park Ave) and 1 brown (eg Strand)

Sorry havent posted much...

I work in the accounting industry and we are business casual. So no suit or tie needed.

develop your style first and go slow..check out the WAYWRN section...dress better than your peers w/o being a tool...shine your shoes and iron your shirts/pants....AND focus on career growth..
smile.gif

Good Luck

teampunjabi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
not sure about your budget so here's a few to check...
- Brooks Brothers slim (check 1818 line instead of 346) or if u can afford the Black Fleece line, the better
- Charles Thywritt or TM Lewin

call AE shoebank right away for seconds...ongoing sale right now with extra 20% off...go buy 1 black cap toe (eg Park Ave) and 1 brown (eg Strand)

develop your style first and go slow..check out the WAYWRN section...dress better than your peers w/o being a tool...shine your shoes and iron your shirts/pants....AND focus on career growth..
smile.gif

Good Luck

Thanks for that kind sir! One question...by shoe bank you mean my closest store?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

teampunjabi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
read this to find shoe bank contact info http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=223327

..."seconds" are basically item with minor blemishes or been discontinued, not refurbished...

Thanks for the advice buddy, I went ahead and ordered the Park Avenue in black from the shoe bank, sucks they have a store in Texas, so I get charged tax. But I like the shirt suggestions you had what about pants?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice buddy, I went ahead and ordered the Park Avenue in black from the shoe bank, sucks they have a store in Texas, so I get charged tax. But I like the shirt suggestions you had what about pants?

...tough call bro..your style...Houston weather? cotton, linen perhaps...JCrew chino's...Incotex/Mabitex brands gets plenty of love here...see the WAYWRN and SW&D section and look for certain items/brands that will fir your style, budget , and needs..

I called the Wisconsin location the guy said they have a black Park Avenue for me in 9.5 which works. But he said he has no more brown strands.

He suggested a fifth avenue

What about that in walnut? Thoughts?

PA in Walnut is for me an anomaly..not my cup of tea...FA in DrkBrwn is ok, but is too close to PA except for perforated cap toe...for casual wear, how about MacNeil in walnut grain? but i wouldn;t wear this with suit...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads