• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Please! Interview Suit for <36 in NYC!

shelton

Reaction score
Hi, I need help on where to shop for a suit in NYC. I have interviews lined up but nothing to wear. I have previously tried shopping for a suit in my home town but all the places I went had a almost not existent selection for sizes 38 and under.

I have a true 35.5 in chest and 28.5 waist and I am 5'11 which means its hard to find stuff that doesn't look like I am swimming in my dads suit or something.

My price range is under $800

I am interviewing for entry-level positions at small indie record labels, AR, music licensing firms, etc. I really don't think I even need a suit but no one was any help with that when I asked.

If I do not find something I really like I will probably just buy a quick fix budget suit to get me through some interviews. What are some good stores to check out? How about United Colors of Benneton or H&amp;M?

jc138

Reaction score
Might be worth checking out Phil's 1908:

989 3rd Ave
New York, NY
(212) 230-1908

(Across from B-Dales.)

His suits fit the price range and they have a nice slim styling. I cannot vouch for the quality though, I have yet to pick one up from him.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barneys has a very wide size range. You might try them.

Also, Century 21 downtown has an unpredictable range of stuff. If they have something in your rare size, it might be severely marked down.

EDIT: H&amp;M is better for casual jackets. I would avoid getting an inteview suit from them. Benneton is a little better.

Hello from Williamsburg!

vanderbilt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shelton
Hi, I need help on where to shop for a suit in NYC. I have interviews lined up but nothing to wear. I have previously tried shopping for a suit in my home town but all the places I went had a almost not existent selection for sizes 38 and under.

My advice would be to visit Brooks Brothers at 346 Madison Ave. You can easily get a basic suit for <$800, and since it is their flagship store, they ought to have your size. While it may not be the most stylish in the world, a Brooks suit is almost always appropriate, and will be a suit that'll last so that you can wear it to weddings, future interviews, etc.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Given what you are applying for, I'd stay away from the stodgier stores. Zara, Benetton, J Crew and Banana Republic are the places I'd look if I wear you. Since it sounds like you would only be using it for interviews (would you wear a suit at an indie label daily?) I'd get two $300 suits or cheaper rather than one for $800. $800 is a lot of money for one suit if it will not be used and if the interview process goes longer than expected, you don't want to show up in the same suit all the time.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Call Freeman's Sporting Club or whatever the heck it's called. They have suits tailored by Martin Greenfield (same guy who does Brooks top of the line) but to their designs. You may be able to snag something on sale within your price range.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers, 4th floor, sale suits. Large size 36 selection in conservative styles.

Bill Brasky

Reaction score
DO NOT wear a suit to a record label. My cousin has worked for a few record labels over the past 10 years in NYC and once relayed a story to me about his first interview out of school. He wore as suit and after the interview the guy pulled him aside and gave a quick word of advice to never wear a suit to a record label interview...

The guys that post here mostly work in conservative fields like banking or law; they can't in their wildest dream imagine a situation where a suit is an inapporpriate business garment. Record label execs have a romantic vision of themselves as counterculture; dress the part.

Here is what you should do: go buy a pair of pair of very good fitting jeans from Barney's or APC. If you're going for an indie rock label look the part, if hip-hop, act accordingly. Spend around $200. Buy a well fitting, stylish blazer... NOT Brooks Brothers. Again go to Barney's or even Bloomingdales for this if on a budget. You should be able to get something well fitting at Bloomingdales for around $500. Wear a buttoned shirt with the blazer, no tie. You could wear a t-shirt as well. Get this anywhere, just make sure it is fashionable.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky
DO NOT wear a suit to a record label. My cousin has worked for a few record labels over the past 10 years in NYC and once relayed a story to me about his first interview out of school. He wore as suit and after the interview the guy pulled him aside and gave a quick word of advice to never wear a suit to a record label interview...
A Thick As Thieves suit might work if any suit would. Get Smart should know, shouldn't he?
smile.gif

Bill Brasky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
A Thick As Thieves suit might work if any suit would. Get Smart should know, shouldn't he?
smile.gif

Yes, of course. But it takes a lot of panache to pull off an edgy suit and not look like a poser. The accompaning shirt, tie, and shoes must be perfect... it's just too hard for an amature and you'd certainly not want to risk it on an interview day.

shelton

Reaction score
I figured the suit was overkill. No more interviews though, got a job and some black jeans which is all I'll probably need anyways. Thanks for the help everyone.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shelton
I figured the suit was overkill. No more interviews though, got a job and some black jeans which is all I'll probably need anyways. Thanks for the help everyone.

Congrats!

rimshot.gif
- Is this appropriate context?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads