1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help picking out a suit.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cmrocks, Oct 9, 2006.

1. minya

minya Senior member

I can't wait to see what you have in store, GS... from the looks of it it seems like this is *exactly* what I want in a suit

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Sincerely a well made fused suit can last for years so this shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you're a slim guy, looking like a doofus for 40yrs because your undestructible Brioni doesn't fit you well isn't a good option anyway.

totally. "Fused" is the dirty word on the MC forum, and obviously is not as good as floating canvas, but it gets villified too quickly and easily. I'd rather have a nice fitting/styled suit that is fused over a high quality full canvassed corporate uniform.

3. mendel

mendel Senior member

I wish there was a forum somewhere in between "Men's Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" in terms of attitude. I feel like the Men's Clothing section can be very off putting to those wishing to graduate from fanboy denim and hoodies but not dress like their fathers.

Just spend some time reading nothing but AAAC. Men's Clothing will satisfy your wish when you get back!

4. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

Just spend some time reading nothing but AAAC. Men's Clothing will satisfy your wish when you get back!

haha. true true. you never know what you have until it's gone. i should speak of the more positive experiences i have in Men's Clothing than the negative.

that said, i recently lost an auction for this suit. it still hurts. what worse is, i looked at the bid history of the winner and this no doubt has a Gang of Four button (or even worse, Bloc Party) on the lapel right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Though I'm new here, I too am eagerly awaiting Thick As Thieves (Jam song?). I really dig Get Smart's suits that he posts in the MC section. He really sets the bar high. My 2 suits right now are crap (and not just by forum standards), and I really need to update them with something that's slimmer fitting, with narrow lapels, shorter jackets, ticket pockets, flat front fitted slacks, blah blah, Paul Weller seal of approval, yada yada ... but I'm too afraid to spend the coin to get one bespoke!

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Though I'm new here, I too am eagerly awaiting Thick As Thieves (Jam song?). ...something that's slimmer fitting, with narrow lapels, shorter jackets, ticket pockets, flat front fitted slacks, blah blah, Paul Weller seal of approval, yada yada ...

haha yep, that's where the name comes from. Figure it's innocuous enough not to be obvious unless you were into that sort of scene.

your description of what you want is exactly what I'm making...narrow lapel, slim fitting, shorter jacket, ticket pocket, flat front lower rise trouser....I'm sure Mr Weller would approve.

and it's full floating canvas so you have that too.

7. Bandwagonesque

haha yep, that's where the name comes from. Figure it's innocuous enough not to be obvious unless you were into that sort of scene.

your description of what you want is exactly what I'm making...narrow lapel, slim fitting, shorter jacket, ticket pocket, flat front lower rise trouser....I'm sure Mr Weller would approve.

and it's full floating canvas so you have that too.

Great song from my favourite Jam album.

Peaked or notch lapel? Not a huge fan of the peak. I've always wondered if it's possible for a tailor to cut off a peak, if the notch left behind isn't too big. Might not be a bright idea...

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

since there a bit of interest, here are a couple teaser pics that are going into the website gallery...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Great song from my favourite Jam album.

Peaked or notch lapel? Not a huge fan of the peak. I've always wondered if it's possible for a tailor to cut off a peak, if the notch left behind isn't too big. Might not be a bright idea...

they're peak, but if you want notched I can easily accomodate that since each piece is made individually so a slim notch lapel is no prob

* and right now they're single button but am working on a high stance 3 button version as well

10. Bandwagonesque

they're peak, but if you want notched I can easily accomodate that since each piece is made individually so a slim notch lapel is no prob

* and right now they're single button but am working on a high stance 3 button version as well

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I really like the look of those... though I would probably add a second button on my own (personal tastes). One button is just a little too fashion forward for me (even if one uses just one button).

11. minimal

minimal Senior member

If you're in NYC, stop by Seize Sur Vingt (www.16sur20.com). They have what you want.

12. Jared

Jared Senior member

This topic is great! Some relevant additions from MC:
    (* Is Abboud a mistake?) Does anyone know if the following labels have lines that meet the criteria (fashionable at a good price)?
    • Armani
    • Canali
    • Pal Zileri
    • Strellson
    • Isaia
    • Jones New York
    And what lines are the right ones for CK and DK?

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I just noticed the part about "thick as thieves", you'll have another customer when you start this, not that I need a suit or anything but they look badass.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Don't forget about Sacque suits too:

http://www.sacquesuit.com/

--Andre

That's right, who got one? I rememver the feedback was very good.

16. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

I wish there was a forum somewhere in between "Men's Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" in terms of attitude. I feel like the Men's Clothing section can be very off putting to those wishing to graduate from fanboy denim and hoodies but not dress like their fathers.

Hence, many men get sloppy by their mid-twenties, with some of them still wearing soiled or ill-fitting clothes from their school days.

To get back on topic, from that list of brands, Canali likely meets Jared's definition of "fashionable at a good price," if the right size is available at a discount retailer.

17. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

Hence, many men get sloppy by their mid-twenties, with some of them still wearing soiled or ill-fitting clothes from their school days.

To get back on topic, from that list of brands, Canali likely meets Jared's definition of "fashionable at a good price," if the right size is available at a discount retailer.

while well constructed, i've never known canali to be slim or a good price.