• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help pick my wedding attire

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timing: early Spring, upstate NY Location: crazy beautiful, old Victorian building with tons of original detail. huge vaulted ceilings, stained glass, just very classic and a stunning 1860's building. Ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception all in the same building (3 separate rooms, each unique), unless it happens to be unseasonably warm then the ceremony will be in the garden outside. Ceremony will probably start 5 ish, followed immediately by cocktails and party. I think we have decided that we don't want to require guests to wear black tie, and I would prefer to not make my wedding party (likely only 2 guys) rent a specific tuxedo since they already own one. and I'm not even positive I want to wear a tux/dinner jacket - however I am sure I want to wear something fun and festive. I'm not really concerned about wearing my outfit for business as well, though that could always be a plus. mostly, I just don't want to wear something that could be mistaken for a business suit. and if my outfit could match with the Victorian surroundings, that would be awesome. anyways, any ideas? should I only be looking at dinner jackets/tuxedo's? or something like:
prince-charles-wedding-of-laura-parker-bowles-and-harry-lopes-fFNe3Q.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don't want to make it a black tie thing, don't. For less formal, a DB blazer, perhaps. But dark navy or grey suit and white shirt, with a wedding tie (or royal blue, if you want something less classic) will be hard to regret. Single or double breasted.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say definitely go for a Victorian look-it will match the setting, and how many more times will you get that opportunity? Since the ceremony is before 5 you can technically get away with a morning suit...though I find them a bit incongruous for the evening portion of the wedding. Why not white tie and tails?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I say definitely go for a Victorian look-it will match the setting, and how many more times will you get that opportunity? Since the ceremony is before 5 you can technically get away with a morning suit...though I find them a bit incongruous for the evening portion of the wedding. Why not white tie and tails?

+1 I like your idea you don't want to go more casual that no good, bu just changing up the attire liek this can make a big difference.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
+1 I like your idea you don't want to go more casual that no good, bu just changing up the attire liek this can make a big difference.

Plus if you are in White Tie its no big deal if the rest of the party is in Black Tie, according to Manton.

IronRock

Reaction score
Although Prince Charlie is wearing a Morning Coat I wouldn't be too contrained by the 'Morning' part of it. The 'rules' state that after 6pm you should be changing into white tie or a dinner jacket, now you know the rules, tear 'em up.

Morning dress looks very cool both in this grey look and in the more trad Black coat, cashmere stipe trouser and grey or colured waistcoat. Everyone goes for a tux, push the boat out, go for morning coat and everyone else will look fine in a suit or morning coat if they have one.

It is not unusual in the UK to find some wedding guests wearing morning coat and others wearing suits, but frankly do what you (future wife!) wants, although I reckon if you do go for it the black coat option will look better in the evening.

Good luck!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Originally Posted by Kajak
Plus if you are in White Tie its no big deal if the rest of the party is in Black Tie, according to Manton.
I would think that if I am wearing white tie and tails, that I would look fairly silly unless the majority of guests are wearing (at a minimum) black tie?
Originally Posted by IronRock
Although Prince Charlie is wearing a Morning Coat I wouldn't be too contrained by the 'Morning' part of it. The 'rules' state that after 6pm you should be changing into white tie or a dinner jacket, now you know the rules, tear 'em up. Morning dress looks very cool both in this grey look and in the more trad Black coat, cashmere stipe trouser and grey or colured waistcoat. Everyone goes for a tux, push the boat out, go for morning coat and everyone else will look fine in a suit or morning coat if they have one. It is not unusual in the UK to find some wedding guests wearing morning coat and others wearing suits, but frankly do what you (future wife!) wants, although I reckon if you do go for it the black coat option will look better in the evening. Good luck!
I'm pretty sure noone attending this wedding currently owns a morning coat, nor would anyone buy one for the wedding. I would prefer to not make my guests make any special purchases. so, you think something like this "more trad Black (morning) coat, cashmere stipe trouser and grey or colured waistcoat." would not look to odd amongst 175 other people wearing traditional suits? ie:
sl372851.jpg
where would I go looking for something like this, besides this forum
smile.gif
?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would look odd, and you might need to order some of the components from the UK.

GiorgioHilfiger

Reaction score
I did wear morning dress to my wedding, guests wore suits etc as usual. When the event starts at morning, the Rules do not require to change attire midevent and morning dress is appropriate.

These days do not offer many chances to wear morning dress - a gentleman has to take all of them
smile.gif

Attachment 46243

I put it together from ebay, with the buff linen vest from Pakeman Catto & Carter and a shirt from Tailorstore..

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I would think that if I am wearing white tie and tails, that I would look fairly silly unless the majority of guests are wearing (at a minimum) black tie?

Not at all. If you showed up to a birthday party at a high-end steakhouse wearing white tie and tails with the other guys in suits, you would be a laughingstock. But at a wedding, not one would question it at all. Just like your fiancee would probably not want to show up at an event where every other woman is wearing a cocktail dress while she is wearing a long, flowing white lace gown.

On that note-

What is your bride-to-be wearing? The answer to that will give you an use some serious cues as to what would be the best fit for you.

JFisher

Reaction score
I also need help picking wedding attire:

Particulars:
Early March Formal wedding in Florida. Ceremony around 4, Reception around 6.

My fiance likes the idea of White dinner jackets, and I am inclined to agree, particularly since it can be anywhere between 25 and 85 that time of year. But I've heard that the white dinner jacket thing is more a summer time thing, and also a before 5 PM thing. Also, I'm in the unenvious position of having to be extremely budget conscious as most of my groomsmen are not financially well off, so rentals are mandatory.

So my questions are the following:
1) can I pull off the white dinner jacket in March?
2) is this the sort of thing that can be rented?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dinner jackets in general are after 6 (or after dark, whichever is earlier). Rental shops should have them.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Manton's excellent speech covers all of the bases.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not know how many times I have to say this. Do not try to do something interesting. Do not try to stand out. Wear a totally generic tux! Let your wife pick it out!

Trust me, you do not want to do anything, no matter how insignificant, to take away from Her Special Day. You definitely don't want to do anything that will detract attention from her pretty pretty princess wedding dress.

For serious!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads