• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help pick between these two shoes

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Ok,

On a recent thread I asked what I needed next. I've summed it up to TWO shoes:

The Allen Edmonds Strand in Dk Brown
http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...RAND&rpro=6105

The Ralph Lauren Darlton
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...812818_1812819

Now there is a huge price difference. But I may be willing to wait for the Darlton to go on sale. Of course that would risk my size going out of stock and the shoe still being at least $350. That and I already have wingtip shoes. But they are Cordovan and they are made by C&J.

I went to the AE store in Midtown NY and tried the Strands, and they were NICE. They looked good and were comfortable from the start. And since they're not wingtip, it would offer some variety. But they're not on sale and only likely to go up (based on some research) They're $279 now and I may just pay full retail.

So that's my situation. Any Help would be nice.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with AE,RL is expensive and you won't be able to get them under $400.

Jthaeler

Reaction score
Es are solid for the price. In order to get the RLs that cheap you are going to have to wait a while.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I've contacted an aquantance who works at the RL Mansion over at Madison to see if I can get a discount. He was sick today, but I should hear back from him tomorrow.

If the Darlton were reduced by 30% would it be a good deal?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are both great shoes. But despite their apparent similarities, they're actually quite different. The Darlton is chunky and substantial and casual--it's a great shoe with moleskins or the like, or even with jeans. It has a big double sole, a storm welt, it's cordovan and it's a blucher. The Strand is a semi brogue. It's calf, it's single-soled, no storm welt, etc. These differences add up. I don't wear my Darltons with suits--I would wear the Strands thus. Just keep all that in mind.

The obvious answer, given all that, is to buy both.
devil.gif

I think you'll have a hard time tracking down the Darltons under $400, and even that's a crap shoot. Keep that in mind too.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with AE. They are more versatile being oxfords.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacksdad
those polo's look "orthopedic".

If by that you mean "totally awesome," then yes, definitely.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
If by that you mean "totally awesome," then yes, definitely.

A fine piece of horse ass indeed. But how is C&Js restoration? In the long haul Im also looking for the better caterer

ykurtz

Reaction score
If you get the AE's you'll probably feel Stranded if the Darlton's ever go on sale. It's obvious you want the latter. Why not exercise some constraint and either save up or wait until your size is available at a more reasonable price? Delayed gratification builds character, albeit you may have less of everything you want right now.

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
Start out with the Strand. Work your way up to a very expensive show gradually.
The days and weeks will pass soon enough.

Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
Ok,

On a recent thread I asked what I needed next. I've summed it up to TWO shoes:

The Allen Edmonds Strand in Dk Brown
http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...RAND&rpro=6105

The Ralph Lauren Darlton
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...812818_1812819

Now there is a huge price difference. But I may be willing to wait for the Darlton to go on sale. Of course that would risk my size going out of stock and the shoe still being at least $350. That and I already have wingtip shoes. But they are Cordovan and they are made by C&J.

I went to the AE store in Midtown NY and tried the Strands, and they were NICE. They looked good and were comfortable from the start. And since they're not wingtip, it would offer some variety. But they're not on sale and only likely to go up (based on some research) They're $279 now and I may just pay full retail.

So that's my situation. Any Help would be nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads