• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help on what combo to go with for nice dinner/night out in nyc

ZacharyA

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for taking a look.
I have a dinner coming up and I cant decide what to wear with a dark blue blazer (modern fitted cut), probably white shirt and black tie, black oxfords. I have white pants, dark forest green chords or can go pick up some red pants. The whites look good but with only having black shoes with me I'm not 100% on how those contrast with the blue blazer? The green chord's look best imho but is this ok?

I'm also open to tie ideas if you think something other than black would work better or a different shirt.

Thanks for any input!

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd probably do mid grey flannel trousers, a light blue shirt, and a colorful tie (i like orange wool in such a situation). I'd also wear brown or burgundy shoes.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do a navy blue blazer with a black tie. With navy blue you can anyting but black. I like a green tie with navy blue blazer. You can do white or grey pants with brown shoes.White shirt and a standout PS that flows with whatever you choose to wear and you are good to go.

I am also going to NY for a day of shopping and a dinner/night out myself
I plan on wearing the following:

Sportscoat: Forest Green
Trousers: Grey
Tie:Black/Grey
Shoes: Black or Brown (debating..could use suggestion)
PS:Maroon

Where do you plan on going to eat? I need some ideas

gambit50

Reaction score
What is it with the black ties?
And brown shoes with it? Yowza.

Mr. Eng, you really need to tighten up the ask for dinner. "Where should I eat in NYC?" is a very lazy question.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I've never been to NYC, but I assume the proper dress varies by location.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would skip brown shoes for a night out. I love brown shoes, but black is better at night.

I also disagree about the navy with the black tie - I think this can look very good, especially at night with a white shirt.

The pants are the issue. I wouldn't do corduroy in the spring/summer. I also wouldn't do red pants, but I really am not sure if they are "wrong." White pants to me would be summer only.

I would do gray (or black, though I may get criticized for this) pants. Get something with a differing texture, possibly something with mohair in it for some shine.

Take a look at this thread for more ideas: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309735/black-tie-casual

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 37 16.8%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Carmina

Votes: 33 15.0%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 36 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 72 32.7%