• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help on formal wear for an interview

ajay090090

Reaction score
Hi,

Found this great forum recently while searching for ideal formal dress for an important interview.
If anyone can give suggestion, it will really be helpful.
I do not want to wear a business suit. Only shirt, tie and trouser will be more than enough for me. But i do not know the color combination. I am thinking of wearing a sky blue shirt with a formal trouser and black shoes. but confused over tie color. I think 100% silk will be good but of which color.

All fashion gurus!
Could u help in sorting out my problems

Thanks
Alexander

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ummm, if this interview is really important you will want to wear a full suit (unless they specifically said it wont be neccessary). However, I'll go ahead and answer the question. With dark pants and a sky blue shirt, tie color is a very open subject. I think a solid or conservatively patterned red or navy tie would work real well. You could do yellow, green, purple, etc as well

ajay090090

Reaction score
There is nothing mentioned on a dress code for an interview but being in IT industry i have forgotten what a formal wear is like. But i know one thing that suit will be an overkill for me.
So want to play safe with sky blue shirt and dark pants. and thinking of wearing a light coloured vertically striped tie...
Will that do?

Thanks Again
Alexander

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really shouldn't wear a tie without a jacket. Either wear a suit and tie or an open-collar shirt. Anything in between is a mismatch.

And if you do wear a tie, don't wear one with vertical stripes. Diagonal, yes. Horizontal or vertical, no.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
You really shouldn't wear a tie without a jacket. Either wear a suit and tie or an open-collar shirt. Anything in between is a mismatch.

And if you do wear a tie, don't wear one with vertical stripes. Diagonal, yes. Horizontal or vertical, no.

Heh, Im wearing a tie now without a Jacket. I dont think its that bad. Personally though where I work is pretty lax about dressing and I wear a tie 2-3 times a week just to mix things up.

Anyway for ajay, since you truly beleive going for a suit would be overkill, I will take your word for it. So, with the tie I think you should be ok.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328

If you choose not to wear a suit, you should at least wear a coat and tie. No tie without the coat and diagonal stripes, rather than vertical or horizontal. A vertical striped shirt is OK with a diagonally striped tie if the stripes have different scales. Ideally, the tie picks up a color in the shirt and preferably the jacket as well.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe one of these could work better

workshirt-geek.jpg
tux-polo2.jpg
workshirt-hacker.jpg

or the standard shirt with this "binary" tie ( The binary encoded text says "Ties Suck" )
ties-suck.jpg

much more on http://www.thinkgeek.com/

some other ties

AL300463L.jpg
RM151207L.jpg
RM143030L.jpg
more on http://www.wildties.com

trogdor

Reaction score

ajay090090

Reaction score
No It is not for IT job interview but for a B School
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I should have mentioned this in my first post itself.
I know B School is highly conservative place and one should be in suit for an interview. But, I searched extensively for this school and people generally dress based on weather conditions. and very few come in suit. So, i am taking their words and opting for shirt, trouser and a tie. And am confident that most of the people will be like me in the interview. Now, can u suggest me proper dressing which doesn't include suit....

hughjoen

Reaction score
B School? Business School? for job or to get in?
Anyways, Wear a jacket! Please. Don't go to an interview w/o a jacket. Tie and shirt just look incomplete. Not a good first impression. If you want to be less formal just wear a navy jacket and khaki pants and a tie.

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajay090090
No It is not for IT job interview but for a B School
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
I should have mentioned this in my first post itself. I know B School is highly conservative place and one should be in suit for an interview. But, I searched extensively for this school and people generally dress based on weather conditions. and very few come in suit. So, i am taking their words and opting for shirt, trouser and a tie. And am confident that most of the people will be like me in the interview. Now, can u suggest me proper dressing which doesn't include suit....

Did your research tell you what they wear to class, or to the interview? I do not know of, or have ever heard of, a business school that does not expect you to show up to the interview in anything other than a conservative business suit.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly encourage you to wear a suit. I am an electronic engineer, and have worked on IT branches in banks and the telecom industry, true the IT guys are more "casual".

But when I started as a young IT engineer on a bank I was soon promoted because of my skills as the assistant of the Central Project Manager, a high ranking manager in the bank...

He teached me how to dress and behave as he told me, "You should allways project a profesional image of yourself, the people judge you out of how are you dressed and behave and will take your technical advice based on it...."

He was right and as you know 80% of the communication is not verbal, your external image and your body language are more important for most people of what you say.... Sad but true...

So I allways dressed professionally and this together with my strong technical skills guaranteed a succesful career, first on the technical and now in the business fields...

I am much more respected because of my profesional skills than for my clothes today off course... but maybe I got the oportunities to show my skills and win, because my profesional external image.

So wear a full suit and a good tie.... if you are young, pick a modern cut suit, if not stick to a good quality conservative one. And wear it not only for the interview, make it part of your profesional image every day.

Best luck with your interview....

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
for probably what was the most important interview of my life - it changed the direction of my life. I didn't wear a suit because I didn't have/couldn't afford one. Instead I wore shirt/tie/black trousers with a 'tank top' a V-neck sleeveless jumper in black and in my hands held an old black blazer/jacket that no longer fit me.

But I do agree, that if the interview is important to you, unless it is stated to be casual/otherwise, then I would definitely wear a suit.

new obsession

Reaction score
B School interview = suit no question.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
B School interview = suit no question.
boxed for truth.

Originally Posted by trogdor
Here's mine; you can never go wrong with a navy pindot tie. It's sharp, but not flashy, conservative without being boring.
i agree. i went with one from press (though mine has white dots, not light blue...i can't find it on the website anymore).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads