• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help on Engagement Rings

wellsuited

Reaction score
Hi, I know this is not exactly relevant, but the forum is one of the few places I can trust on advice as important as this.

I am looking for a unique engagement ring, and am contemplating a Art Deco Ring. I have scout the web, but I am not too sure about the mechants online.

If anyone could advise me any reliable source online or otherwise, it would help me a lot. thanks.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i am not too sure about art deco, but this gentleman named Dan Anderson has helped me alot on my purchase of an engagement ring 3 years ago.
he has select styles of GIA certified diamonds all purchased from Israel as he makes a trip out there about twice a year. he also can get you a wedding band and the band for the engagement diamond as well for a very competitive price.
his website is www.gemologicalservices.com, but his site (if it is still up) does not have the current models of diamonds and sizes he may have on hand.

he sold engagement rings to me, my brother, several friends and pastors of my last attended church in Glendale. very honest and straightshooting. i dont remember his phone number, but his site may have it of course. he does have a very thick new england accent and a very nice person to talk to.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go see or call my diamond broker. His name is Moe Elm and he is in LA. My wife is thrilled with her engagement and wedding rings. very competitive pricing. Tell him David Cade, the lawyer from GM in Detroit, sent you.

Moe Elm
Inter Diamond, Inc.
650 S. Hill Street
Booth E-5 or office 727
Los Angeles, CA 90014
213/308-6495
[email protected]

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wellsuited
Hi, I know this is not exactly relevant, but the forum is one of the few places I can trust on advice as important as this.

I am looking for a unique engagement ring, and am contemplating a Art Deco Ring. I have scout the web, but I am not too sure about the mechants online.

I can't help you with the diamond part, but as for the setting: I just purchased a 1920's setting at a local jeweler. For starters, finding just the right setting takes some luck. But look for jewelers who do work with estate jewelry, because that's where you'll find what you want. Ask for Edwardian, Art Deco, and Art Nouveau. The styles all bleed into one another, so you may find an Edwardian, for example, that fits the bill perfectly.

In my very little experience, buying something new is far far far more expensive. As an example, the ring I bought is platinum and has detailed filigree work all around it with inset tiny diamonds and sapphires. A very similar brand new filigreed platinum ring, without any side stones, in another shop nearby would have cost me approx. 5 times as much (both setting only). Your estate jewelry dealer may also have older diamonds too that might be cheaper--mine did.

I say educate yourself on-line about the diamond etc, and buy locally. Others have had good experiences (the threads where I asked were lost in the crash) and I am sure will share them, but I, like you maybe, am dubious of buying something to large on the internet.

Good luck,
bob

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wellsuited

If anyone could advise me any reliable source online or otherwise, it would help me a lot. thanks.

A friend of mine bought his wife's ring from an e-bay merchant, an antique, estate sale type piece. He is a pretty smart guy, and made sure he protected himself in terms of being able to check out the merchandise and have it appraised before full payment was transferred, how he did it, I have no idea. I provide the information only by way of letting you know that it can be done.

Also, here in NY, I have my own "Diamond Guy" but recently I bought my wife some diamond earrings and decided to try bluenile.com. I was very impressed with their recommendations, their customer service, and their product. I will definitely buy from them again. FWIW

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out wedding ring originals in NYC? I have never used them, but they always had some interesting settings in their window, and they specialize in antique settings.

wellsuited

Reaction score
Thanks all! The only problem is that I am in Singapore, so going to the US is a hassle, though I might be able to pop by London end of year. But that is cutting it a little too close for me. : )

I think the best way is for me to source a local designer who can do art decor/jungenstill type of jewellery... Would be tough in Asia though...

Also I am looking for sapphire rings as something more unique. Will update all if I find something special.

sajohnson05

Reaction score
Where I got my ring was from engagementringsdirect.com. The owners name is Mark and a super nice guy to deal with and he will help you through the whole process and will find you exactly what you want. He use to work for the GIA. Hope this helps you find a great ring.

Seth

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, here's my advice to you-- when I bought my wife's engagement ring, I was still in the military and we get a great deal on diamond rings.

First, get on the tiffanys web site and make a note of their diamond standards for clarity, cut, and color. when you shop for a diamond, ensure you hit these minimal standards from the vendor of your choice, to get a good deal.

I think tiffanys' web site has an informative link on it about diamonds for your reference, as well.

good luck!

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Art Deco, eh... not a bad choice if that's your girlfriends thing. I'd recommend looking up estate vintage pre-owned pieces. Engagement rings have followed a pretty classic path, so finding a winner by going this route shouldn't be too hard. If you have the time, and it seems like you do, start researching dealers and styles on and off line.

Sorry I can't help beyond that... but even if you don't do it, checking out estate jewelers is a great way to find inspiration.

valejo

Reaction score
I ended up buying a diamond and ring from www.bluenile.com. The prices are pretty good, but the transparency regarding quality and customer service are outstanding.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, way to resurrect a thread. I hope the OP's made a decision by now.

At any rate, diamond nerds will tell you that cut quality is the single most important factor, followed by color, then clarity. After months and months of research, I tend to agree.

The amount of light reflected back to the eye, depends entirely on cut--barring the presence of really awful inclusions. On the other hand, color grades between D and F can be nearly impossible to discern with the naked eye, and a cut grade VS or above should show no inclusions unless magnified. Thus, the sweet spot, for a round brilliant, is a F color, VS1 clarity, excellent cut diamond, in the largest carat size you can afford. If you hit a terminal carat size (maybe you don't want to go too big), and you have extra cash, max out color, then clarity.

Checkout pricescope.com.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on above.

I would add anything from 1.5 carats to 3.5 is ideal size, anything larger or smaller will be either too flashy or not big enough.
Yesterday I noticed a friend of mine has an 8 carat diamond engagement right, it is so big it doesnt look real, and is garish. Of course bravo if you can afford an 8 carat diamond, but really that is far too big.
I would buy the diamond and have a setting made.
Make sure you have the wedding band made at the same time, I didnt and I had to take back the engagement ring later, she was pissed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
+1 on above.

I would add anything from 1.5 carats to 3.5 is ideal size, anything larger or smaller will be either too flashy or not big enough.

I dunno, 3.5 carats seems pretty huge to me! Maybe I'm just not floating in the right circles
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dislike large engagement rings, and I agree that 3.5 carats looks huge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads