• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help on C&J and EG English shoes

111ImNumber1

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of getting a pair of C&J but I am a bit confused. I don't really know which of the collects they offer is regarded as the best in terms of quality and durability! Is it the Handgrade or the Sell Cordovan or none of those?!

I am also considering getting a pair of EG, the finest English shoes, but it is unavailable in my local area. I was trying to get in touch directly with the company, but unfortunately I couldn't. I even couldn't find online stores that sell EG. Do you know by any chance a way to get a copy of their catalogue and price list?

I would appreciate your assistance very much.
smile.gif

Thank you in advance,

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J's handgrade line is higher than the benchgrade line. I'm afraid that I don't know anything about their shell cordovan shoes, so I am not sure whether they are at the handgrade or benchgrade level.

With regard to Edward Green, I tried to contact the company using their website and had no response from them at all. However, when I used the "contact" e-mail address also listed on their website, I received a response within one or two days. Have you tried the e-mail address?

Very few places sell Edward Green on the internet, as far as I am aware - their shoes are not as easily available as those by C&J, for example. However, there are a few places around that do internet orders on some models, such as Leather Soul, and Leffot in NY might do internet orders, too. The Edward Green website also lists stores that sell Edward Green, so you could check to see if there happens to be one near you.

111ImNumber1

Reaction score
EG do not have any email address displayed on their website! What's the email address you you got? I will probably ask them to send my a copy of their catalogue and, hopefully, I can arrange with them to buy a pair of shoes. According to http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/collections.html , C&J's shell cordovan shoes are not of the handgrade line. Sell cordovan shoes are better quality than calf-- correct me if please if I am wrong. So, I thought sell cordovans are the finest C&J offers. I got confused because in this forum I almost found a consensus that C&J's handgrade is the best of all C&J shoes without saying anything about their sell cordovans!

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J Shell shoes are same construction as benchgrade - you're just paying the premium for the material (correct me if I'm wrong).

111ImNumber1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
C&J Shell shoes are same construction as benchgrade - you're just paying the premium for the material (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd be very surprised if this is correct! My take on this is why wouldn't C&J make their handgrade shoes in sell cordovan?! If my assumption is correct and that sell cordovan shoes are better than calk shoes, C&J should use the finest material they have, i.e. shell cordovan, for the best shoes they make. It makes a lot more sense this way, IMO.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 111ImNumber1
I'd be very surprised if this is correct! My take on this is why wouldn't C&J make their handgrade shoes in sell cordovan?! If my assumption is correct and that sell cordovan shoes are better than calk shoes, C&J should use the finest material they have, i.e. shell cordovan, for the best shoes they make. It makes a lot more sense this way, IMO.

I can't see any difference at all from my shell C&Js to Benchgrade with regards to construction.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of English makers do not think of cordovan as the finest material for making stylish shoes but more as a material for sturdy all weather shoes. There is every possibility that the C&J cordovan are to their benchgrade standard.

111ImNumber1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
A lot of English makers do not think of cordovan as the finest material for making stylish shoes but more as a material for sturdy all weather shoes. There is every possibility that the C&J cordovan are to their benchgrade standard.

On top of that, C&J's cordovans are more expensive than their handgrade line if this is to make a difference at all !!

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On top of that, C&J's cordovans are more expensive than their handgrade line if this is to make a difference at all !!
C&J Cordovan are made to benchgrade standards. You're paying the extra for the shell.

111ImNumber1

Reaction score
C&J Cordovan are made to handgrade standards. You're paying the extra for the shell.

I just looked at the C&J catalogue and figured out that all the "styles" of the shoes that are made of cordovan are of the benchgrade line. Each pair of cordovan is also offered in calf but there is a significant drop of $$! However, in the catalogue the cordovan collection is separated from the benchgrade line. I don't know if this would mean that they are differently made!

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the C&J catalogue and figured out that all the "styles" of the shoes that are made of cordovan are of the benchgrade line. Each pair of cordovan is also offered in calf but there is a significant drop of $$! However, in the catalogue the cordovan collection is separated from the benchgrade line. I don't know if this would mean that they are differently made!

They're not differently made. They're seperated because they are Shell.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no difference in construction between the benchgrade and shell cordovan construction of the same models. The only difference that causes the increase in price is the material. Also, to get back your original question, there is no difference in durability, IME, between C&J Benchgrade, Handgrade, and Edward Green. I've found that the most extensive list of currently avaiable Edward Greens is Sky Valet.

111ImNumber1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
There is no difference in construction between the benchgrade and shell cordovan construction of the same models. The only difference that causes the increase in price is the material.

Also, to get back your original question, there is no difference in durability, IME, between C&J Benchgrade, Handgrade, and Edward Green.

I've found that the most extensive list of currently avaiable Edward Greens is Sky Valet.

I have learned a lesson that I never buy any UK stuff from the US. I was in New York City the other day and bought a pair of C&J from Barneys. After a while I found them at http://www.pediwear.co.uk/ for way much cheaper price. If I had bought it from this online store, I would have saved around $170+

111ImNumber1

Reaction score
I have learned a lesson that I never buy any UK stuff from the US. I was in New York City the other day and bought a pair of C&J from Barneys. After a while I found them at http://www.pediwear.co.uk/ for way much cheaper price. If I had bought it from this online store, I would have saved around $170+

To be exact I'd have saved $255.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't see any difference at all from my shell C&Js to Benchgrade with regards to construction.

C&J Cordovan are made to handgrade standards. You're paying the extra for the shell.

confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads