• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help on buying wedding suit in la

wlaazn

Reaction score
I'm looking for a suit for wedding of my own. A few questions:

1. Does it have to be black? How about dark navy? What style? 2 buttons or 3 buttons?

2. My budget is probably less than $500. I went to Macy's in Beverley Center. The brands they carry are Hugo Boss, Calvin Klain, and Kennetch Cole. These brands don't have good reputation on the forum. Any suggesions about where to get under my budget? Any sales going on? Nordstrom carries Hickey Freeman, however, sales is no avail.

Appreciate for any input. Thanks in advance.

Catch-22

Reaction score
First off, I think either a black or midnight blue suit would be very acceptable for a wedding.  I'd skip navy however, since It may be too businessey (not a word I know).  Although if this is your only suit, I suggest getting something that you can wear on various occasions.  If you're set on navy, you can probably spruce up the attire with the right shirt tie combo (i.e. skip the white shirt/red tie combo to avoid looking like John Kerry)

2 or 3 button is really more your preference.  3 buttons are a bit more in fashion right now, but that also means that you may get a better deal on a 2 button that has survived the 2nd/3rd round of markdowns.

In terms of where to find a suit under $500, I'm positive you can find something acceptable in an outlet store or on eBay.

While many on this forum aren't big hugo boss fans, you could probably do well at a hugo boss outlet.  I was at one recently where they had a bunch of 2btn black suits for under $400.

eBay is another option, although the issue there is fit.  If you haven't bought many suits before, you may end up with something that doesn't fit quite right.  With that in mind, I recommend reading A Harris' wonderful "how to measure for ebay" posts. Also, although this maybe a bit "shady" you can always go to a store to find a designer who's suit you like and note the size that fits you most appropriately and later bargain shop online or on eBay....noting that many designers have various lines/models that fit differently from another.

You also may want to look at Canali; a brand which you can usually get for hugo boss prices that many on the board would agree to be far superior in terms of quality.

There are also several other posts about the same topic (suits for a wedding) which you may want to search for on the forum

Hope this helps,

wlaazn

Reaction score
Catch, thanks for the reply.

LA fellows, can you guys help me what stores I should look around and where they are?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good places to find a discount suit of pretty good quality in L.A.

Loehmann's on La Cienaga just south of the Beverly Center. Lots of Donna Karan, Boss, etc... but occasionally, much higher end stuff

Really, you should go to the Cabazon Premium Outlets in Palm Springs. Well worth the drive. The Barneys outlet is one of the few with stuff from the stores, and you can easily pick up and Emporio Armani suit for about $400 this time of year.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good places to find a discount suit of pretty good quality in L.A.  

Loehmann's on La Cienaga just south of the Beverly Center.  Lots of Donna Karan, Boss, etc...  but occasionally, much higher end stuff

Really, you should go to the Cabazon Premium Outlets in Palm Springs.  Well worth the drive.  The Barneys outlet is one of the few with stuff from the stores, and you can easily pick up and Emporio Armani suit for about $400 this time of year.
Agreed on Cabazon. If you have time for the drive it is your best bet.

Shop with care at that Loehmann's. They often have mistaken sizing on the price tags and hangers, so you need to examine the suits to avoid missing one in your size that is labeled as being many sizes off. I've been there when they have nothing but low end stuff (DKNY, CK Calvin Klein) but I've also seen racks of Corneliani (great suit). They usually have a wide selection of decent ties at good prices as well.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my wife got a card in the mail saying that Loehmann's has new merchandise for men and women, so I'd head there first.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a lot of this depend on the circumstances of the wedding, church, garden, whatever?

I've had three weddings, so I can speak from the voice of experience. For my first wedding, as I recall (it was over 34 years ago), I wore a charcoal suit. Second wedding, a rented morning suit. Third wedding, a Nordstrom's navy suit that I still have and wear with a degree of frequency. Different clegy for each wedding--Presbyterian, Traditional Anglican, Lutheran--but I was always married according to the rite of the Book of Common Prayer.

My advice: If you are going to be wearing a business suit for the wedding (a sensible and tasteful choice, in my opinion), get any dark suit that fits you well and is within your budgetary constraints. Macy's or Nordstom's would probably be good choices for the price range you specify, but get something you can get plenty of mileage from afterwards.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a suit for wedding of my own. A few questions:

1. Does it have to be black? How about dark navy? What style? 2 buttons or 3 buttons?

2. My budget is probably less than $500. I went to Macy's in Beverley Center. The brands they carry are Hugo Boss, Calvin Klain, and Kennetch Cole. These brands don't have good reputation on the forum. Any suggesions about where to get under my budget? Any sales going on? Nordstrom carries Hickey Freeman, however, sales is no avail.

Appreciate for any input. Thanks in advance.
it's your wedding. you can wear whatever color you like. i would prefer light grey if the wedding is in the warmer months. probably black if it's in the colder months.

i would go with one button, but it's up to you.

when is the wedding? there may be sales between now and then.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some advice for your wedding suit, as I just got married:

(1) Go with black or dark dark grey/charcoal -- navy is too "business" suit like and I think a wedding should be more stylish than that and dark colors look infinitely better in your wedding pictures IMO than lighter colors (even though I like a medium or lighter grey suit in a great fabric). There is nothing more elegant than a black and white picture with the bride in white and the groom in a sharp black suit.

(2) Splurge a little. In the end, the minimum you will be spending on your suit would be $300. You've already said your budget is $500. Bump is up to $700 or so and your selection of really top level suits instantly increases 10 times. It is hard to find a canvassed suit for $500 in black in your size. It is pretty easy to find for $700.

Start looking now, and remember that most places will be running sales again in February. Outlets will be your most fruitful grounds. Keep a look out for Corneliani especially, since these are often found. I also second the Ebay suggestion. I know there is a seller by the name of eclass227 (or something like that) that sells regular label Zegna suits in all sizes for $600. Not the greatest deal, but not horrible.

TheWorldsFinest

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am the best source bar none in Los Angeles.  I sell under the eBay ID: TheWorldsFinest.

No one can touch my level, quantity, and pricing of my goods.  Many customers have told me not only in Los Angeles, but in the entire world.

Ian Daniels
Owner
TheWorldsFinest

PS - I missed the part about $500 in my 1st reading but I still may have a thing or 2 for him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads