• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help on buying suits.

el rojo

Reaction score
i dont know why these type of questions are taboo on sF. but i need help selecting a suit. i need it for model united nations in about three weeks, and ebay is really the only place i can get suits, as i live in okinawa japan.

anyways, im what you would call a noob with suits. ive found these three suits that look as if they fit me, but i dont know which to pick. which of these seems more appropriate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

again im sorry as i imagine this post might be annoying to some. but please. any opinion will help. and if you can, a suggestion on shirt, tie, etc. will also help.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice selections, El Rojo. A couple thoughts for you:

The suits are all tagged the same size, but there's a significant amount of sizing difference in them. One has a 17 inch shoulder, while another has an 18.5 inch shoulder. I'm usually a 38-39R, and I couldn't wear the 17-inch shoulder. Are you sure all the measurements work for you?

Also, are you sure these would get to Japan in time? I've had items take more than three weeks to show up even within the U.S. Seems like you'd be awfully dependent on the goodwill of the seller and the whims of the postal service, timewise.

As far as style, will you need the suit for multiple days? All these are fairly memorable. A more sedate suit, particularly a solid, would make it less obvious you're wearing the same suit. Of your selections, I like the navy pinstripe best for this purpose. (A solid is also good for job interviews, funerals, weddings and the like.)

Beyond that, you might have picked a good time to look for Brioni. EBay has been in a slump for weeks now. That said, the price on these could jump a good bit before all is said and done. (Though it may be the seller has set the opening bid high enough that it will discourage some bidders.)

Claudio

Reaction score
All the above sugegstions are very usufull and spot on.

Why are you buying suits online? Are you on a tight budget? I've never been to Japan but i'm sure Okinawa has alot of decent clothing stores which you could shop from. I'd prefer to purchase an 'ordinary' suit from a decent shop (so you can try it on and see fabric & pattern) rathern than spend 200-300$ online and risk not fitting well.

Good luck

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Weird, that brown suit fits more like a 38 or even 36. Nice choices though.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just be careful with those models. Consider what will look good on your frame. The low stance, strong shoulder look gives me a 80's power suit vibe.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el rojo
i dont know why these type of questions are taboo on sF. but i need help selecting a suit. i need it for model united nations in about three weeks, and ebay is really the only place i can get suits, as i live in okinawa japan.

anyways, im what you would call a noob with suits. ive found these three suits that look as if they fit me, but i dont know which to pick. which of these seems more appropriate:

again im sorry as i imagine this post might be annoying to some. but please. any opinion will help. and if you can, a suggestion on shirt, tie, etc. will also help.

I wouldn't get any of these suits for model UN. get a solid navy blue, charcoal or dark grey suit, a bunch of white and/or blue shirts, and conservative ties and you'll fit right in. other than that, the suits themself are nice, but not really model UN suits.

if the event is in 3 weeks, i wouldn't ever go the ebay route, because as doc mentioned, getting the suit from the US to okinawa may take up to or over 3 weeks, and alterations could take another 2 or 3 weeks.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
Just be careful with those models. Consider what will look good on your frame. The low stance, strong shoulder look gives me a 80's power suit vibe.

emmanuel classy closet uses a lousy angle for their shots - from above. it makes the gorge and buttoning position look lower than it actually is.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I agree with Claudio. However, with Brioni you are getting a top tier garment with tons of handwork and excellent construction. Beware though, the jackets may have been pinned in the back to make it look like there's more waist. I've never seen a Brioni even worn by James Bond that has that much waist, let alone most Italian suits. I'd personally buy something decent, convenient, and sedate in your town if possible, such as a two button grey or navy. You can always nab a Brioni off eBay too and see if you want to keep it once it arrives, then return the other suit. (Provided you escape Model UN with no stains!)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Provided you escape Model UN with no stains!

Yeah, I heard those model UN parties get wild.
biggrin.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Hey, stains come when you least expect them.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Yeah, I heard those model UN parties get wild.
biggrin.gif

One delegate at a MUN summit in my high school soiled his suit with ***** while on stage, courtesy of his strategic partner.

el rojo

Reaction score
wow. wonderful help. im a superfuture native, and we certainly dont give noobs the same treatment.

anyways, ill try and answer the questions as efficiently as possible.

first of all, im buying online because i dont speak any japanese, and the language barrier may cause problems. i also happen to be addicted to brioni for some reason. it may be the legacy.

secondly, time shouldnt be a problem, because the event is actually about a month and a half away. i just said three weeks so i could have a little cushion for any modifications that need to be made. because im in a military base, it only takes a week at most for things to be shipped. and if i pass on these, no other eligible suits may show up within the three weeks.

lastly, im very sceptical on my measurements. i really dont know how to measure my shoulders, but what i got out of it is about 17 inches or so. because that measurement didnt seem very dependable, i measured a jacket that fit just ok on me and it measured 18.5 iches at the shoulders. i also measured my chest, and got 38 inches. if i add some slack, im pretty sure 40 or 42 iches wont be such a problem.

also a question just came up, and i mineaswell ask. what parts of a suit can be modified? im pretty sure i can find the answer if i search hard enough, but im also pretty sure that you guys have got the parts memorized.

el rojo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
One delegate at a MUN summit in my high school soiled his suit with ***** while on stage, courtesy of his strategic partner.
wait. what? how the hell does something like that happen.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way diplomacy often works; she lent him a hand under the table. Incidentally, the school was in the same general region as yours.

The fit of the shoulders is the priority. Chest and waist can be brought in, and length can be shortened ~1" (or maybe more) without throwing off the balance. Armholes can't really be raised, though they can be eased, so this is another issue to consider.

The second is the most appropriate, in terms of the cloth. I have one that looks like the exact same fabric as the third, and it's not quite MUN material either. That said, few people really care.

el rojo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
The way diplomacy often works; she lent him a hand under the table. Incidentally, the school was in the same general region as yours.

The fit of the shoulders is the priority. Chest and waist can be brought in, and length can be shortened ~1" (or maybe more) without throwing off the balance. Armholes can't really be raised, though they can be eased, so this is another issue to consider.

The second is the most appropriate, in terms of the cloth. I have one that looks like the exact same fabric as the third, and it's not quite MUN material either. That said, few people really care.

ooh. i thought he just randomly exploded. well i guess i have to work on my diplomacy skills.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads