• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

help on buying suits.

el rojo

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
i dont know why these type of questions are taboo on sF. but i need help selecting a suit. i need it for model united nations in about three weeks, and ebay is really the only place i can get suits, as i live in okinawa japan.

anyways, im what you would call a noob with suits. ive found these three suits that look as if they fit me, but i dont know which to pick. which of these seems more appropriate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

again im sorry as i imagine this post might be annoying to some. but please. any opinion will help. and if you can, a suggestion on shirt, tie, etc. will also help.
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,118
Reaction score
1,113
Nice selections, El Rojo. A couple thoughts for you:

The suits are all tagged the same size, but there's a significant amount of sizing difference in them. One has a 17 inch shoulder, while another has an 18.5 inch shoulder. I'm usually a 38-39R, and I couldn't wear the 17-inch shoulder. Are you sure all the measurements work for you?

Also, are you sure these would get to Japan in time? I've had items take more than three weeks to show up even within the U.S. Seems like you'd be awfully dependent on the goodwill of the seller and the whims of the postal service, timewise.

As far as style, will you need the suit for multiple days? All these are fairly memorable. A more sedate suit, particularly a solid, would make it less obvious you're wearing the same suit. Of your selections, I like the navy pinstripe best for this purpose. (A solid is also good for job interviews, funerals, weddings and the like.)

Beyond that, you might have picked a good time to look for Brioni. EBay has been in a slump for weeks now. That said, the price on these could jump a good bit before all is said and done. (Though it may be the seller has set the opening bid high enough that it will discourage some bidders.)
 

Claudio

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2006
Messages
52
Reaction score
4
All the above sugegstions are very usufull and spot on.

Why are you buying suits online? Are you on a tight budget? I've never been to Japan but i'm sure Okinawa has alot of decent clothing stores which you could shop from. I'd prefer to purchase an 'ordinary' suit from a decent shop (so you can try it on and see fabric & pattern) rathern than spend 200-300$ online and risk not fitting well.


Good luck
 

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
39,510
Reaction score
1,758
Weird, that brown suit fits more like a 38 or even 36. Nice choices though.
 

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
1,528
Reaction score
6
Just be careful with those models. Consider what will look good on your frame. The low stance, strong shoulder look gives me a 80's power suit vibe.
 

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
134
Originally Posted by el rojo
i dont know why these type of questions are taboo on sF. but i need help selecting a suit. i need it for model united nations in about three weeks, and ebay is really the only place i can get suits, as i live in okinawa japan.

anyways, im what you would call a noob with suits. ive found these three suits that look as if they fit me, but i dont know which to pick. which of these seems more appropriate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

again im sorry as i imagine this post might be annoying to some. but please. any opinion will help. and if you can, a suggestion on shirt, tie, etc. will also help.


I wouldn't get any of these suits for model UN. get a solid navy blue, charcoal or dark grey suit, a bunch of white and/or blue shirts, and conservative ties and you'll fit right in. other than that, the suits themself are nice, but not really model UN suits.

if the event is in 3 weeks, i wouldn't ever go the ebay route, because as doc mentioned, getting the suit from the US to okinawa may take up to or over 3 weeks, and alterations could take another 2 or 3 weeks.
 

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
134
Originally Posted by Mike C.
Just be careful with those models. Consider what will look good on your frame. The low stance, strong shoulder look gives me a 80's power suit vibe.

emmanuel classy closet uses a lousy angle for their shots - from above. it makes the gorge and buttoning position look lower than it actually is.
 

Jovan

Banned for Good
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
I agree with Claudio. However, with Brioni you are getting a top tier garment with tons of handwork and excellent construction. Beware though, the jackets may have been pinned in the back to make it look like there's more waist. I've never seen a Brioni even worn by James Bond that has that much waist, let alone most Italian suits. I'd personally buy something decent, convenient, and sedate in your town if possible, such as a two button grey or navy. You can always nab a Brioni off eBay too and see if you want to keep it once it arrives, then return the other suit. (Provided you escape Model UN with no stains!)
 

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
8,739
Reaction score
43
Originally Posted by Jovan
Provided you escape Model UN with no stains!

Yeah, I heard those model UN parties get wild.
 

Jovan

Banned for Good
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Hey, stains come when you least expect them.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by odoreater
Yeah, I heard those model UN parties get wild.


One delegate at a MUN summit in my high school soiled his suit with semen while on stage, courtesy of his strategic partner.
 

el rojo

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
wow. wonderful help. im a superfuture native, and we certainly dont give noobs the same treatment.

anyways, ill try and answer the questions as efficiently as possible.

first of all, im buying online because i dont speak any japanese, and the language barrier may cause problems. i also happen to be addicted to brioni for some reason. it may be the legacy.

secondly, time shouldnt be a problem, because the event is actually about a month and a half away. i just said three weeks so i could have a little cushion for any modifications that need to be made. because im in a military base, it only takes a week at most for things to be shipped. and if i pass on these, no other eligible suits may show up within the three weeks.

lastly, im very sceptical on my measurements. i really dont know how to measure my shoulders, but what i got out of it is about 17 inches or so. because that measurement didnt seem very dependable, i measured a jacket that fit just ok on me and it measured 18.5 iches at the shoulders. i also measured my chest, and got 38 inches. if i add some slack, im pretty sure 40 or 42 iches wont be such a problem.

also a question just came up, and i mineaswell ask. what parts of a suit can be modified? im pretty sure i can find the answer if i search hard enough, but im also pretty sure that you guys have got the parts memorized.
 

el rojo

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by whoopee
One delegate at a MUN summit in my high school soiled his suit with semen while on stage, courtesy of his strategic partner.
wait. what? how the hell does something like that happen.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
The way diplomacy often works; she lent him a hand under the table. Incidentally, the school was in the same general region as yours.

The fit of the shoulders is the priority. Chest and waist can be brought in, and length can be shortened ~1" (or maybe more) without throwing off the balance. Armholes can't really be raised, though they can be eased, so this is another issue to consider.

The second is the most appropriate, in terms of the cloth. I have one that looks like the exact same fabric as the third, and it's not quite MUN material either. That said, few people really care.
 

el rojo

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by whoopee
The way diplomacy often works; she lent him a hand under the table. Incidentally, the school was in the same general region as yours.

The fit of the shoulders is the priority. Chest and waist can be brought in, and length can be shortened ~1" (or maybe more) without throwing off the balance. Armholes can't really be raised, though they can be eased, so this is another issue to consider.

The second is the most appropriate, in terms of the cloth. I have one that looks like the exact same fabric as the third, and it's not quite MUN material either. That said, few people really care.

ooh. i thought he just randomly exploded. well i guess i have to work on my diplomacy skills.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,233
Messages
9,230,841
Members
193,765
Latest member
Nike4Fresh
Top