• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP! Noob needs help with coats!!

fashionnoob

Reaction score
hi everyone i've been lurking for a while and really appreciate this site. i'm 25 and recently moved to DC from Florida. i haven't really had to own a coat since i was a teenager so i'm completely out of the loop here on what's fashionable, etc.

i'm assuming i'll need a few different coats up here-one for freezing weather, another for rain, etc. i've seen some beige raincoats that look pretty good and i've read here that "pea coats" are good as well. i don't want to come across as a "dandy" by any means, but i'll need some coats that are at least fashionable and a step above wearing north face jackets and parkas everyday. i'm fairly tall (6' 2") with an athletic build; not sure if that makes a difference.

any advice much appreciated. it's getting cold up here already!!!!!

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! I was in a similar situation 3 years ago when I, at 25, moved to D.C. from central Texas. You'll want a warm overcoat and a rainjacket. If you are like me and wear a suit or sport jacket everyday you can get a nice overcoat from a variety of places. If you like cashmere, Filene's basement on Conn. has cashmere overcoats for about $400. You can find a wool blend one for quite less but I say spring for cashmere because it gets cold up here and cashmere will last forever. As far as a raincoat, I have a standard tan trench coat. Depending on what you want you can get the traditional large cut one to fit over a suit or shop around for a slim fit type jacket. I compromised and found a too small Allegri that fits great with no jacket under.

horton

Reaction score
if you're looking for something casual and clean (not to cover suits or sports coat) I suggest Schneiders

fashionnoob

Reaction score
thanks jack that's a huge help! i'll check out filene's this weekend.

do you have any suggestions for a more casual coat/jacket to wear with jeans and t-shirts?

abc123

Reaction score
Welcome to DC, and yes, the weather was a bit nasty here today. For business, I'd recommend a grey/charcoal topcoat and a traditional tan raincoat. For weekends, you cant go wrong with a peacoat or car coat, so long as its not black (inho).

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
Welcome to DC, and yes, the weather was a bit nasty here today. For business, I'd recommend a grey/charcoal topcoat and a traditional tan raincoat. For weekends, you cant go wrong with a peacoat or car coat, so long as its not black (inho).

thanks abc. is a topcoat the same thing as what texas_jack mentioned earlier (cashmere overcoat) ? is j.crew a decent brand for a peacoat?

abc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionnoob
thanks abc. is a topcoat the same thing as what texas_jack mentioned earlier (cashmere overcoat) ? is j.crew a decent brand for a peacoat?

Yeah, I'm sure were referring to the same thing. J Crew is fine, but I wouldn't pay full price. Their sales are really good, and if you can wait a little while, you can get it for less than half retail. A lot of people think theyre not the best quality, which is true compared to high end brands, but for the sale price, youre getting good value. I know someone who has one from there, and its two years old, still going strong and looking good. I would put more money towards a nice topcoat and not worry about getting the highest quality casual coat at first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads