1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HELP! Noob needs help with coats!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fashionnoob, Oct 6, 2006.

1. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Senior Member

hi everyone i've been lurking for a while and really appreciate this site. i'm 25 and recently moved to DC from Florida. i haven't really had to own a coat since i was a teenager so i'm completely out of the loop here on what's fashionable, etc.

i'm assuming i'll need a few different coats up here-one for freezing weather, another for rain, etc. i've seen some beige raincoats that look pretty good and i've read here that "pea coats" are good as well. i don't want to come across as a "dandy" by any means, but i'll need some coats that are at least fashionable and a step above wearing north face jackets and parkas everyday. i'm fairly tall (6' 2") with an athletic build; not sure if that makes a difference.

any advice much appreciated. it's getting cold up here already!!!!!

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

Ha! I was in a similar situation 3 years ago when I, at 25, moved to D.C. from central Texas. You'll want a warm overcoat and a rainjacket. If you are like me and wear a suit or sport jacket everyday you can get a nice overcoat from a variety of places. If you like cashmere, Filene's basement on Conn. has cashmere overcoats for about $400. You can find a wool blend one for quite less but I say spring for cashmere because it gets cold up here and cashmere will last forever. As far as a raincoat, I have a standard tan trench coat. Depending on what you want you can get the traditional large cut one to fit over a suit or shop around for a slim fit type jacket. I compromised and found a too small Allegri that fits great with no jacket under.

3. horton

horton Senior Member

if you're looking for something casual and clean (not to cover suits or sports coat) I suggest Schneiders

4. fashionnoob

thanks jack that's a huge help! i'll check out filene's this weekend.

do you have any suggestions for a more casual coat/jacket to wear with jeans and t-shirts?

5. abc123

abc123 Senior Member

Welcome to DC, and yes, the weather was a bit nasty here today. For business, I'd recommend a grey/charcoal topcoat and a traditional tan raincoat. For weekends, you cant go wrong with a peacoat or car coat, so long as its not black (inho).

6. fashionnoob

Welcome to DC, and yes, the weather was a bit nasty here today. For business, I'd recommend a grey/charcoal topcoat and a traditional tan raincoat. For weekends, you cant go wrong with a peacoat or car coat, so long as its not black (inho).

thanks abc. is a topcoat the same thing as what texas_jack mentioned earlier (cashmere overcoat) ? is j.crew a decent brand for a peacoat?

7. abc123

abc123 Senior Member

thanks abc. is a topcoat the same thing as what texas_jack mentioned earlier (cashmere overcoat) ? is j.crew a decent brand for a peacoat?

Yeah, I'm sure were referring to the same thing. J Crew is fine, but I wouldn't pay full price. Their sales are really good, and if you can wait a little while, you can get it for less than half retail. A lot of people think theyre not the best quality, which is true compared to high end brands, but for the sale price, youre getting good value. I know someone who has one from there, and its two years old, still going strong and looking good. I would put more money towards a nice topcoat and not worry about getting the highest quality casual coat at first.