• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help newbie judge good tailoring

davemill

Reaction score
Hello, all

Today my wife and I visited a Hong Kong tailor, shopping for a blazer. He showed me a sample, which eventually caused us to leave without ordering anything. Please tell me if my judgement was correct:

• The button holes looked irregular. I understand that hand sewn button holes will not have the perfect regularity of machine sewn, but these looked somewhat sloppy and irregular to my eye.
  • The hand stitching around the edges of the lapels was causing a small amount of dimpling in the fabric. These were final stitches, not temporary ones.
Did I make the right call by leaving? I was wearing a rack-bought blazer, which had perfectly flat stitching along the lapels. And although it did not have button holes on the sleeves (just buttons), it looked better to my eye than the custom blazer with irregular button holes on the sleeves and front.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davemill
Hello, all

Today my wife and I visited a Hong Kong tailor, shopping for a blazer. He showed me a sample, which eventually caused us to leave without ordering anything. Please tell me if my judgement was correct:

• The button holes looked irregular. I understand that hand sewn button holes will not have the perfect regularity of machine sewn, but these looked somewhat sloppy and irregular to my eye.
  • The hand stitching around the edges of the lapels was causing a small amount of dimpling in the fabric. These were final stitches, not temporary ones.
Did I make the right call by leaving? I was wearing a rack-bought blazer, which had perfectly flat stitching along the lapels. And although it did not have button holes on the sleeves (just buttons), it looked better to my eye than the custom blazer with irregular button holes on the sleeves and front.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

yes

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What tailor was it and how much did he want?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many tailors in HK the vast majority of whom are crap or worse. Which one was this?

Try Chan on Nathan, Yao in the Royal Garden Hotel (Kowloon-side on Mody Road) or Y William Yu just down Mody Road.

Juliet

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Juliet Lacoste,

I'm the official spokeswoman for Hiras Fashion Hong Kong. I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. However, i'd like to point out that our company does not have a shop in Hong Kong so it would not have been possible for us to show you the blazer. Perhaps you had accidentally mistaken another tailor for ours.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi,  My name is Juliet Lacoste,

I'm the official spokeswoman for Hiras Fashion Hong Kong.  I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. However, i'd like to point out that our company does not have a shop in Hong Kong so it would not have been possible for us to show you the blazer. Perhaps you had accidentally mistaken another tailor for ours.  

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,  My name is Juliet Lacoste,

I'm the official spokeswoman for Hiras Fashion Hong Kong.  I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. However, i'd like to point out that our company does not have a shop in Hong Kong so it would not have been possible for us to show you the blazer. Perhaps you had accidentally mistaken another tailor for ours.  

I was going to agree with this, but then I realized that Juliet's post is 1 year after the original.

davemill

Reaction score

"Hi,  My name is Juliet Lacoste,

I'm the official spokeswoman for Hiras Fashion Hong Kong."

I was referring to the name, not the location. I met them in a hotel in San Jose, CA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juliet

Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying that.

However our fitters do not carry any sample garments with them. We carry over 3000 sample swatches for suits, and 1000 fabrics for shirts. Frankly our fitters carry over 100 kilograms of fabric samples, and often travel between cities every 2-3 days when on a tour.

The only garments out fitters have to show are their own personal traveling wardrobe.

As a standard our fitters are kitted out with only suits, shirts, ties, dress shoes and accessories. You will never see one of our fitters attending to a client in a blazer, even on a Sunday. Again, as mentioned earlier we do not carry any sample garments with us.

I'd also like to note that our sleeves and the hand stitching are immaculately finished. As the only garments carried are our own salesman's personally worn suits, I am doubtful you would find these in any way imperfect.

We invite you to come and see us again to show your one of our suits (which of course will be our fitter's personal suit) at our next trip to San Jose, or San Francisco. We are in fact back in town in the next weeks to clarify this matter.

We do as well appreciate that you have taken the time and effort to sign up for a styleforum account for the sole purpose of passing your opinion on our products.

joeman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi, I've visited the Hiras shop early this year and fitted out by Ramish. I am wearing one of their suits right now. Fits great, feels great, and I cannot find anything wrong with the finishing. The buttons are real buttons on the sleeve, so they will move, but nothing excessive. Also the hand stitching is a nice touch. I guess the less experienced might take this the wrong way and prefer machine stitching, but I love it.

My experience was perfect, however a friend of mine tried them out, and he had some alterations the first time, so took him a bit longer, the first jacket was too big, but they took care and its perfect now. I saw his suit, and really, the buttons and hand stitching did not stand out in a bad way, and looked fine. I would have noticed. He is happy as well now.

Are you sure you went to Hiras? I don't recall seeing any samples hanging around thinking back.

Pawz

Reaction score
Last edited:

VitaTimH

Reaction score
I'm assuming he got an email notification about a reply to his thread. I would be curious... would you not be?

davemill

Reaction score
Sullivan,

For a guy with exactly one post on the forum, you certainly have a strong opinion about other newbies! I've got you beat by two posts! (three counting this one). I did indeed find out about the reply from an email notification.

To clarify, I signed up for this forum knowing little about custom clothes. I am, as I described myself, a newbie (although I did buy a jacket and shirts from William Sani about 25 years ago. To my taste, they were nice.). I am not a shill.

Juliet,

Your replies have been the most polite rebuttals I think I've ever seen! To clarify, the jacket I was referring to was actually awaiting delivery to a customer later that day. It was just hanging there in the hotel room. I didn't mention the vendor name in my original posting because, as a newbie, I didn't feel qualified to judge what I was seeing. I still don't, and I regret mentioning your company's name in my reply. For all I know, the jacket that I saw hanging there was a work in progress, not yet complete. For all I know, it was an example of flawless tailoring!

I'm tempted to remove my original post entirely, but I can't see a way to do that. So please everyone who reads this, I'm the Thread Starter saying that I never intended to trash talk Hiras, who may be a good custom clothing vendor.

Juliet

Reaction score
davemill -

Thanks for your comment. We are certainly not here to start a fight or pick a fight with anyone. However, I noticed an inconsistency in your first post and your last post, since in your first note you stated that you "visited a Hong Kong tailor, shopping for a blazer. He showed me a sample, which eventually caused us to leave without ordering anything". Then on your last post you mentioned that "To clarify, the jacket I was referring to was actually awaiting delivery to a customer later that day. It was just hanging there in the hotel room".

For the purpose of clarification, I'd like to reiterate that our fitters do not bring with them on their tours just any sample, our fitters show their own personal traveling wardrobe. Secondly, our fitters do not personally hand in or deliver the garments. We have special arrangements for that.

So please, before passing judgement on our products, please make sure your statements are consistent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads