• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed with an ensemble for a friend

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals and all. Friend of mine asked for some help on an ensemble so I figured I would put it to the board here and get popular consensus. Only choose the one you like best unless you like or dislike them all equally. If you have reasons as to why you like either or all or none please feel free to contribute. Â Also please note that only one is an actual tie worn on the shirt, the rest have been manipulated with photoshop so dont comment on the fit or anything else other than the colors. Just think. Â If this guy goes on a date or something with the ensemble chosen, you may hold his future in your hand
smile.gif
Thanks in advance. JJF
ensembleOption2.jpg
ensemble21.jpg
ensembleOption1.jpg
EDIT: Â To add this option mentioned later. Â SImilar to the first (heck they are all similar) but different.
smile.gif
Option3.jpg

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I like all three I would choose between the 1st and 2nd. The 3rd, to me is a bit too predictable or ordinary to make it stand out. I think the 1st would dance and shimmer wonderfully with the light when in motion and it would get my nod. But, keep in mind that I also liked the Ben Silver catalogue look more than you so you may want to take my views with the largest grain of salt possible.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i also like number 3, it's got more texture and depth - looks more 'touchable'. also the color contrast is sharper. which may be a function of the photoshopping. but i like the boldness of the pattern as opposed to the other two.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely 2 - the tweedy pattern matches up best with the substantial texture in the coat. BTW, the shirt (it's hard to see in the picture) should also be a more substantial medium weight cloth as well. Colors match up perfectly.

The tie in option one is nice, and the colors match up well, but the pattern doesn't seem bold enough for the jacket. A think a good rule of thumb is that the tie should "pop" - really be an accent in the ensemble, rather than fade into the background.

As for option three, the colors are just slightly off, which is really distracting. Secondly, I just hate rep ties.

The Dandy

Reaction score
I'd prefer the second choice if the pattern were a more focused houndstooth, as the patterns seem rather blurry to me. However, I think the second option is the best choice of the three.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for #2. In #1, the tie looks too shimmery. In #3, the tie has too much brown - nothing wrong with that by itself, but here it's paired with a brown suit.

alaaro

Reaction score
It's all so drab. I'm not digging any of the options.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input thus far. Â Please keep em coming or at least the votes. Perhaps I should be a little more clear in what I was asking. The issue isnt if you like the suit or shirt combo, but rather which tie would you put with that particular suit/shirt combo. (Not that anyone should buy all three as correctly stated here they are somewhat similar) For those that didnt like the first as it was ... for whatever reason, how about this?
Option3.jpg
Thanks. JJF

TomW

Reaction score
I like option 3 with option 2 a very close second. I like the latest option (4?) as well.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely the last one. None of them are really my style at all, but the last one is at least sort of quirky.

BTW #2 looks exactly like a shirt & tie box set I got from Marshalls for $10 on clearance. Exactly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice is to punch it up with something with either some red or some (lime or light sage) green in it.  I agree with the other posters - the whole deal is in serious need of some pizazz.

*Edited by request - no problem.*

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads