• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed. New Suit from Indochino - What needs to be altered?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By chance does the suit have low arm holes? It might account for the extra fabric. But in general the sleeves look like they were cut too big near the armpit area. Hopefully someone else can comment on the rest, I suspect the jacket might be too short, but my suit knowledge is limited.

baldbrah

Reaction score
from what i understand, high armholes are standard on all IC suits.

i'm not too versed in this area, anyway i can check to see if that's indeed true?

thanks for the help.

from what you guys can see, is it possible for the tailor to salvage this suit and make it look presentable like the picture below (fit wise)?

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score

from what i understand, high armholes are standard on all IC suits.

i'm not too versed in this area, anyway i can check to see if that's indeed true?

thanks for the help.

from what you guys can see, is it possible for the tailor to salvage this suit and make it look presentable like the picture below (fit wise)?

No, I don't think so. I would say the length is about an inch too short. Also, when you compare your jacket with spookers, you'll notice the button stance is lower on his, giving a more slimming affect. Also, the lapel width is narrower on the IC jacket which, to my untrained eye, has the opposite of slimming the torso if not in proportion to the shoulder and chest dimensions. At least that's been something that I've noticed comparing my IC suit to my Benjamin.

bluesman528

Reaction score

anything I can do about the shoulders and arms around the bicep area? seems have some excess fabric there

The jacket is (besides being way too short) too small in the shoulder area, your own shoulders are bulging out at the sides and that creates the weird things that are going on there. Nothing to fix, I think. The fabric looks cheap, too. Avoid Indochino is my best recommendation. It will never look anything like SpooPoker's excellent suit, even if this IC suit fits perfectly.

baldbrah

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I guess i'll throw the idea of coming close to Spoo's jacket fit out the window but for the time being, I'd still like to salvage this suit, got it for a decent price.

So far I have the following alterations to be made:
  • +1" on the jacket lenght
  • Lower button stance 1"
  • Shorten sleeves .5"

also, the left lapel is not staying flat against my chest when buttoned. what can be made to fix this?

Is adding .5" to each shoulder reasonable?

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess i'll throw the idea of coming close to Spoo's jacket fit out the window but for the time being, I'd still like to salvage this suit, got it for a decent price.

So far I have the following alterations to be made:
  • +1" on the jacket lenght
  • Lower button stance 1"
  • Shorten sleeves .5"

also, the left lapel is not staying flat against my chest when buttoned. what can be made to fix this?

Is adding .5" to each shoulder reasonable?

I wouldn't add .5" to each; that's quite a bit and, with IC's notorious unpredictability, you risk it swinging wildly to far in the other direction. Maybe try .5 in total as I've found that it doesn't seem to take much in changes to linear dimensions to make a difference in fit. Did you go with narrow lapels? If so, then go normal. Lowering the button stance by an 1" might be too much. If you lengthen the jacket, then that should bring the button stance down as well, so you shouldn't need to lower it that much further. Best of luck, cross your fingers and let us know how it turns out.

viator

Reaction score
anything I can do about the shoulders and arms around the bicep area? seems have some excess fabric there

The jacket is (besides being way too short) too small in the shoulder area, your own shoulders are bulging out at the sides and that creates the weird things that are going on there. Nothing to fix, I think. The fabric looks cheap, too. Avoid Indochino is my best recommendation. It will never look anything like SpooPoker's excellent suit, even if this IC suit fits perfectly.

Are you sure about the shoulders? From the back photo it almost looks like they might be too small and that the bulging is really just extra fabric. But its hard to say from the photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sborg

Reaction score
Are you sure that's your suit and they didn't mess up the order? It looks ill-fitting.

baldbrah

Reaction score
I wouldn't add .5" to each; that's quite a bit and, with IC's notorious unpredictability, you risk it swinging wildly to far in the other direction. Maybe try .5 in total as I've found that it doesn't seem to take much in changes to linear dimensions to make a difference in fit. Did you go with narrow lapels? If so, then go normal. Lowering the button stance by an 1" might be too much. If you lengthen the jacket, then that should bring the button stance down as well, so you shouldn't need to lower it that much further. Best of luck, cross your fingers and let us know how it turns out.

thanks for the tip. i'll opt for a remake with .5 correction total on the shoulders and no lowering button stance, and adding 1 inch to the length. here's to hoping for the best.

no,these are the normal lapels, not the slim ones.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads