• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed for cocktail party suit - Prada, Tom Ford, Isaia, Gucci, Dolce Gabbana et

kabeer_g

Reaction score
All,

I am looking for some help. I have my wedding in Nov and I need a 2 button suit for my cocktail party. I have tried many suits (Zegna, Armani, Prada, Hugo Boss etc) and only one I have liked so far is Prada. I am 6 feet, 160 lbs and generally fit in 38R/ 40R. I like my suits to be very well fitted and feel have the body to carry it.

I am wondering what else to try. I have heard Zegna milano suits are fairly fitted. Also heard Isaia has a line that's fitted. Heard Tom Ford suits are very well fitted too.

I live in DC and have both Saks and Neiman Marcus here. So ideally something that's available at those stores.

Appreciate your inputs

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Try them all and go with what you like and what fits the best!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much you want to spend but some of those lines off the rack lines at department stores are pretty expensive, bordering on the cost of a MTM or even bespoke suit.

I don't know what his turnaround time on a bespoke product is, but Field English Custom Tailors in Georgetown is very well regarded and I believe his price for a bespoke suit is approximately $3000, not too much more than the $2000+ you would pay for some of the brands you mentioned.

His house style is fairly center of the road, or Row as it were. A moderately firm shoulder (not hard nor soft) and a well tailored waist.

malat

Reaction score
I picked up a suit for a similar occasion. It is a Z Zegna navy suit with 10% mohair. It is quite a fun, fitted party suit, and I love the subtle sheen of the mohair. Found it at Bloomingdales.

Macallan

Reaction score
Pal Zileri (ideally Sartoriale), Belvest

Originally Posted by kabeer_g
I have tried many suits (Zegna, Armani, Prada, Hugo Boss etc) and only one I have liked so far is Prada.

I do like Prada suits and have done for a many years, they may be made by Zegna.

kabeer_g

Reaction score
I did visit Field English. However their turnaround time is almost 8 weeks. Whereas I need something in 2-3 weeks.

In terms of budget, I can go as much as $3500. This weekend I am planning to visit Nordstrom and try Tom Ford. I probably will try one of Zegna's slim fit suits again.

Any other ideas?

kabeer_g

Reaction score
As I am reading the threads, Ralph Lauren Black Label and Dior are two other brands that seem to be popping up for slim fit suits. I will see if I can find any of those at Neiman or Saks. I will also try the Polo store in Georgetown.

kabeer_g

Reaction score
Another thing I would love to get an opinion on is fabric pattern and color. I need a suit for my cokctail party and don't care for it to be multipurpose. My style is contemporary but understated. I have generally not been fan of pinstripes. So I am considering a midnight blue (with stripes that are more like weaves - same midnight blue just woven in different direction) or solid charcoal gray. If I were to go with custom suit, are there any other suggestions you guys have.

hermes man

Reaction score
have u tried giorgio armani black label?

prada suits are pretty cool maybe u should just go with prada..

kabeer_g

Reaction score
I have not yet tried Giorgio Armani black label. I am going to stores tomorrow and will see if they have Armani black label.

I was looking at Pal Zileri's website and they had some really good looking suits with stripes. So that made me wonder about stripes and that's why I was asking question on colors and patterns.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This occasion would be perfect to rock a black & white paisley jacket, black formal pants, Prince Alberts, shirt & bow tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads