• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed for C&J 348 last

mg428

Reaction score
I am considering buying C&J Lowndes. I don't have experience with 348 last so I require your help.

Unfortunately I don't have any pair of C&J labeled shoes. All C&J shoes I have are rebadged ones for the U.S. market.

I wear US 10D in RL Benton (equivalent of C&J Belgrave). The RL box says 9.5UK/10US, though I don't know whether I can rely on this because there a couple of posts I saw which says that one should get UK9E of Belgrave if he normally wears US 10D.

The Benton fits great (snug but not tight in terms of width and perfect in terms of length) but the instep does not fit perfectly as the laces do not come together when tied. However, I know that half size bigger of the Benton would not be my fit.

As far as I know 348 last fits a tad tighter. Considering this fact and the effects of the straps of the double monk Lowndes on the overall comfort and fit in terms of instep, which U.K. size would you recommend?

Tnx!

MG

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being a true 9D, I can tell you 100% accurately that it really comes down to how wide your foot is. If you are a true D(US) then buy exactly 1 full size down from your US. Its my conclusion that people who are only going a 1/2 size down in this last have a slightly wider foot, and are going down only 1/2 a size to accomodate this.

mg428

Reaction score
Steven,

Do you own C&J shoes (not rebadged) in 337 last ? If so, are they also one full sized downed from your regular US size?

BWB

Reaction score
In the Us, I am a 11.5D. On the 337 last, I am a 10.5E.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Being a true 9D, I can tell you 100% accurately that it really comes down to how wide your foot is. If you are a true D(US) then buy exactly 1 full size down from your US. Its my conclusion that people who are only going a 1/2 size down in this last have a slightly wider foot, and are going down only 1/2 a size to accomodate this.

This is pretty accurate.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Steven,

Do you own C&J shoes (not rebadged) in 337 last ? If so, are they also one full sized downed from your regular US size?

I own the 337 savile and are also 1 full size down.

mg428

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your comments.

I understand people who wears regular US D width wears the same size for 337 last and 348 last.

At this point, my only obstacle for pulling the trigger is the issue of whether I would wear UK 9E or UK 9.5E on 337 last, which stems from the conflict between the statements of some forumites (who say that a regular US 10D corresponds to UK 9E) and what the RL Benton's box says (which state the size as US 10D/UK 9.

On one hand I of course rely on the statements of the forumites, on the other hand the manufacturer says something else.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a US 10D on the RL Benton, then you are a UK 9.5E.

That means you should go for the UK 8.5 on the Lowndes.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did quote the response from Mr. Huqstable re C&J sizing conversion. I have the PRL Benton in US9D. While the box may indicate that it is equivalent to a UK8.5, Mr. Huqstable states that a PRL Benton in US9D = C&J Belgrave UK8E. I'll take his word over packaging info any day.

I consider the 337 and 348 to be low volume lasts overall. If the op has problems fitting the 337 because of a high instep, the 348 might not be a good idea, even in a double monk.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

No, if you are a US10D in the PRL Benton, you are likely a UK9E in the 337 and 348. Again, the 348 is probably not a great idea considering your fit issues. lee, go over what you wrote ^, it makes no sense.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did you mean UK 9.5? I've never heard of anyone sizing down 1.5 from their US size. It's either half or full. I go full on C&J, and I have around 10 pairs on a half dozen different lasts.

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I did quote the response from Mr. Huqstable re C&J sizing conversion. I have the PRL Benton in US9D. While the box may indicate that it is equivalent to a UK8.5, Mr. Huqstable states that a PRL Benton in US9D = C&J Belgrave UK8E. I'll take his word over packaging info any day.

I agree. I own the Benton in US 7.5D. My correct C&J size is UK 6.5E, including on the 348.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased the UK made, rebadged C&J RL Benton, sight unseen at US 9D. It's just a tiny bit loose, so I'm thinking I'm a better US 8.5D fit.

I purchased my pair of C&J Lowndes from the Turnbull&Asser store in NYC. Got fitted by the chief sales lady herself (forgot her name) and came home with the UK 7.5E.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased the UK made, rebadged C&J RL Benton, sight unseen at US 9D. It's just a tiny bit loose, so I'm thinking I'm a better US 8.5D fit.

I purchased my pair of C&J Lowndes from the Turnbull&Asser store in NYC. Got fitted by the chief sales lady herself (forgot her name) and came home with the UK 7.5E.

Assuming that you'd indeed be a better fit in a US8.5D PRL Benton and you have a Lowndes in UK7.5 which fits great, it just goes to confirm that the proper US/UK size conversion for C&J's 337 and 348 is 1 full size.

Whatever people say about C&J's various last shapes, I have to hand it to them: they offer a very consistent fit. My rebadged BB Peal punch caps on the 240 fit equally well in a US9D.

Btw, there are a few rebadged C&J made for New & Lingwood that are currently on sale. They are UK sized and N&L recommend 1 full size conversion.

mg428

Reaction score
Thank you for the comments. I was going to bid for an auction on ebay and changed my mind upon your comments.

To make your foregoing statements 100% certain, I will appreciate if one who owns RL Benton and non-rebadged C&J shoes on 337 last (preferably a balmoral style) confirms that he decreases one full size down for his non-rebadged C&J shoes.

mg428

Reaction score
Anyway, I think I am giving up after reading the last post in the below thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=79882

And I think I am going to bid for the auction because my feet would not bear a tighter fit (in terms of width) and shorther instep (in terms of height) than 337 last. So if I am supposed to be UK 9E for 337, then I may pull the trigger for UK 9.5E.

Any objections? Would such shoes be quite off interms of length??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads