• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed - Drink pairings to go with dinner menu (see reply #11)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
I know nothing of such things, but there are many people here who do. Suggest a wine to pair with this - maybe a few good options so that I can see if I can find one of them.

The obvious thing would be a red Burgundy. Hunt around for a village wine from a decent recent year. Expect to pay at least $20-$30.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
30-40 (assuming markup for the fact that this is Canada, after all) is fine. The issue is more one of me not understanding these terms (though I am aware Burgundy is a wine region in France this is about the extent of my knowledge). Wikipedia has informed me that a village wine will be identified by having the name of the village on the label. I suppose I could also just go to a store and ask.

This thread is likely to expand - I will probably need something to pair with at least one appetizer course and a dessert course (doesn't have to be wine, but some sort of beverage), but I do not know what those will be until the people who are making it decide on something. I have a particular plum wine that I would like to use with dessert but it will depend on others' decisions.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't listen to them. Pair it with a Pinot Noir.
devil.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a nice Zinfandel.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Don't listen to them. Pair it with a Pinot Noir.
devil.gif

Horrible recommendation, Spatburgunder would be far superior.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Horrible recommendation, Spatburgunder would be far superior.

I had a really nice bottle of that a few weeks ago. Reminded me of a Burgundy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
since when have you ever had a Burgundy?

actually, the last I recall was some Premier Cru stuff that was gifted to you.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Update: Now have 3 courses to pair drinks with. Please note I have no input on the menu, only for pairing drinks with it. Halp?

Olive tapenade and fresh bruschetta on a toasted crostini
No idea, need suggestions for apertif either with this course or beforehand. Ideas?
Boeuf Bouguignon with roasted fingerling potatoes and asparagus
SF Consensus: Red Burgundy of some sort. Going down to wine store shortly.
Upside-down rum pudding cake with an amber rum glaze
Thinking I'm going to track down a good plum wine - just need to find the particular bottle I'm thinking of. Suggestions still welcome however.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
for the very start, one of my favorites (for sheer ease and yet great reception) is one part blood orange juice and two parts prosecco. Or, alternatively, just a good prosecco will be plenty and welcome with the tapenade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads