• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed decoded Edward Green writing on older shoe to determine size

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of older EG for Peal/Brooks Brothers that I am trying to sell in the B&S. I need to figure out what size they are. Here are the pics of the writing, whic is very faint. I think the first picture says: "14442" and the second picture says: "478 1153" Can you tell me what size they are??? They measure 12 3/8" X 4 1/4"

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you measuring on the exterior? Usually measurements are very unrelaible but 4 1/4" is too narrow on the exterior to be a 12.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, these are exterior measurements. Here is my reasoning. There is a code "478 1153" on the shoes. I can only assume that the 478 is the last??? The 11 is the UK size and the 53 is the width of the toe and the width of the heel. Anyone familiar with any of this?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no reason to conjecture any of that. They are just numbers. Could be a completely unrelated catalog ID number.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a pair marked this way and learned how to read the code from forum member well-kept. The first numbers in the second line are the size. They are a 11.5, but like most vintage EG/Peals they run small. If it were my auction I would list them as a size 11-11.5.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Yeah, these are exterior measurements. Here is my reasoning. There is a code "478 1153" on the shoes. I can only assume that the 478 is the last??? The 11 is the UK size and the 53 is the width of the toe and the width of the heel. Anyone familiar with any of this?

The 115 indicates 11.5, eleven and a half. The 3 is "D" width. They are 11.5D. The 478 is the model number. Great shoes, by the way.

well-kept

Reaction score
A. Harris and I were posting at exactly the same moment. What are the odds?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 1/4 is ridiculously narrow for an 11.5D. Do the shoes look looooong to you?

well-kept

Reaction score
Well, technically they're a "3" width. But in the EG Peal range the widths are marked numerically and I've seen 2, 3, 4, so, it's your call. As Mr. Harris said, these tend to run small.

P.S. Out of curiosity I took off and measured one of the Edward Green Banburys I am wearing this evening. They are maked 11/11.5 E. The width? 4 and 1/4 inches.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I am not questioning either of your knowledge, but are you sure these are a 'D' width? Doesn't a generous measurement of 4 1/4" seem pretty narrow for a 'D' width?

No. I've measured a goodly number of EG's in sizes 11-13 at 4 1/8 - 4.25" outsole width.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads