• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed about choosing a new camera

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need help from those who post great vivid photos on the WAYWRN thread.

My old camera died, then I bought an Olympus which took sh**ty photos. Gave it back, then tried my brother's Sony. Even though it is better than Olympus, still it is not good enough. I'm a hopeless photographer, therefore, what I need is a camera that can take really good photos in the automatic mode, especially with the self-timer. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so you just want a point & shoot, then?

Canon is my usual recommendation. If you want something smaller/more compact, look for the Canon "SD" line.. something like the SD1100IS. The Powershot "G" series is better, such as the G7, but it's also going to cost more. Finally there's the "S" series, which is known for its great zoom. Both the G and S models are much larger than the SD line, but if you don't plan on carrying them on you in your pocket or something, it's not a big deal.

mdg137

Reaction score
Canon g10, Panasonic LX3, or Leica D lux 4

I own the Canon and the Leica (the panasonic is essentially the same camera as the Leica..)

There arent any shots on my website from these camera yet, but there will be soon. Both fantastic cameras.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on Canon's G series and the Panasonics with the Leica lens.

butkusrules

Reaction score
I was/ am in your position. I 1st had a canon Elph that died a premature death after a few years because of sand in the telescoping lens. But it took GREAT GREAT pics. Then I bought an Olympus Stylus that was water proof/shock resistant. That thing takes a beating but the pics are meh- just ok. All this while my brothers and dad had purchased like 4 canon elphs and I continue to be impresssed with the quality of pics. So Im buying this as soon as it comes out in a month. It also takes HD video which should be pretty neat if not practical. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=18335

wetnose

Reaction score
Are you taking lots of pictures in low light (e.g. evening dinners, nightclubs, etc) - an older model Fuji F30 is brilliant for those. But otherwise, the Canon SD series is excellent, but they do use custom batteries though...enough for 200+ shots only.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to have an old, big 4MP Canon and it used to take great pictures, even in low light. Now I'm trying my brother's 8MP Sony (DSC-T100) with a Zeiss less and yet the image quality is worse than my old cheap camera. And the 8MP Olympus FE-320 I bought before was the worst camera I have ever tried in my life.

Click on the first link in my signature and you can see the very average photos I can take with the Sony.

thereader

Reaction score
If you want to get a point and shot camera, try to aviod those compact cameras, get a camera with bigger lense, generally bigger length provide better optical quality. Get one with bigger zoom range if you can, longer focal length is always used in portait(>80mm) lt will blur the background and flatten the face.
You cant go wrong with sony canon or nikon, but I would recommend fuji F or S. Fuji has very vivid color many pro portait/wedding photograher use fuji

thereader

Reaction score
The Zeiss and leica lense on cheap sony and panasoinc is no good. Firt they are tiny, its impossible to get good quility at this size, and they are more like "zeiss certified" lense I doubt they are actully designed by Zeiss or leica. The glory days of Zeiss and leica in consumer market is long gone.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
Canon g10, Panasonic LX3, or Leica D lux 4

I own the Canon and the Leica (the panasonic is essentially the same camera as the Leica..)

There arent any shots on my website from these camera yet, but there will be soon. Both fantastic cameras.

good choices, i think the leica d lux 4 is what PG uses for his WAYWN shots and everyone knows how great his photos look. reason enough right there
smile.gif

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thereader
The Zeiss and leica lense on cheap sony and panasoinc is no good. Firt they are tiny, its impossible to get good quility at this size, and they are more like "zeiss certified" lense I doubt they are actully designed by Zeiss or leica. The glory days of Zeiss and leica in consumer market is long gone.
- I challenge you with WAYWRN pics..
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by js4design
good choices, i think the leica d lux 4 is what PG uses for his WAYWN shots and everyone knows how great his photos look. reason enough right there
smile.gif

- actually I use the lowest of the Leica for my WAYWRN (a C-LUX2) as I can't be fuked lugging around a larger camera, I need it to be portable & reliable - just like my wardrobe - every other day I think about getting the new Leica D-LUX4 to replace my D-LUX3, but then realize there is nothing wrong with my current. - to the OP, not all is up to the camera. I have seen really bad pics from fancy ASS cameras as the person did not know how to use (I'm one of them), what is important is lot's of natural light, a steady hand (or use the time function) & the composition. Heck I have taken some great shots with my iPhone!

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as a professional who takes pictures for a living, i can recommend canon P&S cameras if you are looking for a P&S.

even though i use film for actual, serious work, for some types of shoots i personally use/own a nikon dslr system. howevr, when it comes to P&S's canon beats nikon in color reproduction (specifically, the notorious reds that are plague most camera cpu's), color toning, and luminosity controls (granted that you know how to manipulate them in post-production programs, that is).

if you have any other questions i'd be happy to answer them for you, shoot me a PM!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads