• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! need info on luxury shoemaker called ALEXANDER w/ nice pics - check it out

velvel87

Reaction score
I recently found two pairs of shoes made in Italy by "ALEXANDER" founded in 1910. There is very limited information online about this shoe maker and all of it is written in Italian. What I do know is based off of the few Italian web articles I found that said ALEXANDER is a luxury shoe maker that makes hand-made shoes and is currently owned by 3A Antonini Group.

The shoes are beautiful and appear to be of the highest quality, but I was hoping someone else had more info.

I am attaching a bunch of pictures of the two pairs I picked up. One is a black oxford in a size 9 (but I think it's actually a size 10 US) and the other is the same shoe in dark brown in a size 7.5 (which I think is actually a size 8.5 US).

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

BLACK SHOE

BROWN SHOES

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What exactly is exciting you about these gunboat style shoes?

velvel87

Reaction score
Thanks. I like'em. I think they're classy and they feel like high quality. Ever see the name before?

velvel87

Reaction score
just found out the full name is Alexander Nicolette and they also produce shoes for borrelli.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where did you buy them?

-LR

demian19003

Reaction score
Hello

I realize this is an old post, but I have used StyleForum for research often, thought this would be useful.

I have lived in Italy for many years, and one can do very well here due to the many "unknown" artisans about.

Anyone who is genuinely a connoisseur and passionate about style has their own tailor, shoemaker, etc..
No you cannot find them on the internet..

And as a funny off note, everyone is usually VERY secretive as to who their tailor is!
Even a close friend will not tell me who he uses!

I have an outstanding gentleman, as example, who does amazing work for my suits, and his wife makes my shirts..
I have a lovely Italian grandmother who is a seamstress who does all of my alterations...for very little cost.

I simply bring her some flowers once in a while.

Although Italy can be frustrating as they hate change, it is a special place for these reasons.
One of the the last places which exist that has this charm of our grandparents.
Yes, of course there is a lot of chinese crap, and hacks taking advantage of the "Made in Italy" status, just as in the UK...but that's another story.

At any rate, to Alexander shoes...otherwise known as Alexander Nicolette.

Yes, little can be found online, but they are good quality shoes. They use full grain leather (From those I have seen), and all are goodyear welt. They make shoes for Borrelli and others..

Styles can be bland however, especially for an Italian shoe. But recent offerings show promise and they seem to be getting out there more.

The same manner and size of operation as Edward Green (whom Ive visited and recalled upon visiting Alexander while in Verona. )

Edward Green uses finer leather however, and generally no comparison otherwise.
And this, in my humble opinion, is why upper tier English shoes are superior to Italian.
Surprise to some, but it is true.

I met one of the people in management at Alexander in Verona, and he said candidly and sincerely, they prefer to fill orders, not sell shoes.

Now, give this statement some thought..

This said a lot to me..They felt to have a genuine artisan heart while I was there. Call me sentimental.

Anyway, they sell very reasonably as they are not widely known. What you find online for sale are generally seconds, or flawed models for/from outlets, so be advised.

Not going to make silly comparisons, but they are worth owning. You did well for a first purchase.
My immediate feeling upon handling them, Ferragamo Tramezza..FWIW

Anyway, thought this may be helpful.

Kind regards

PS: And what the gunboat comparison intends (above) I have no idea?!

Last edited:

velvel87

Reaction score

Hello

I realize this is an old post, but I have used StyleForum for research often, thought this would be useful.

I have lived in Italy for many years, and one can do very well here due to the many "unknown" artisans about.

Anyone who is genuinely a connoisseur and passionate about style has their own tailor, shoemaker, etc..
No you cannot find them on the internet..

And as a funny off note, everyone is usually VERY secretive as to who their tailor is!
Even a close friend will not tell me who he uses!

I have an outstanding gentleman, as example, who does amazing work for my suits, and his wife makes my shirts..
I have a  lovely Italian grandmother who is a seamstress who does all of my alterations...for very little cost.

I simply bring her some flowers once in a while.

Although Italy can be frustrating as they hate change, it is a special place for these reasons.
One of the the last places which exist that has this charm of our grandparents.
Yes, of course there is a lot of chinese crap, and hacks taking advantage of the "Made in Italy" status, just as in the UK...but that's another story.

At any rate,  to Alexander shoes...otherwise known as Alexander Nicolette.

Yes, little can be found online, but they are good quality shoes. They use full grain leather (From those I have seen), and all are goodyear welt. They make shoes for Borrelli and others..

Styles can be bland however, especially for an Italian shoe. But recent offerings show promise and they seem to be getting out there more.

The same manner and size of operation as Edward Green (whom Ive visited and recalled upon visiting Alexander while in Verona. )

Edward Green uses finer leather however, and generally no comparison otherwise.
And this, in my humble opinion, is why upper tier English shoes are superior to Italian.
Surprise to some, but it is true.

I met one of the people in management at Alexander in Verona, and he said candidly and sincerely, they prefer to fill orders, not sell shoes.

Now, give this statement some thought..

This said a lot to me..They felt to have a genuine artisan heart while I was there. Call me sentimental.

Anyway, they sell very reasonably as they are not widely known. What you find online for sale are generally seconds, or flawed models for/from outlets, so be advised.

Not going to make silly comparisons, but they are worth owning. You did well for a first purchase.
My immediate feeling upon handling them, Ferragamo Tramezza..FWIW

Anyway, thought this may be helpful.

Kind regards

PS: And what the gunboat comparison intends (above) I have no idea?!

Thanks!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads