• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help My Stepdad Avoid Mens Wearhouse

Hummingbird

Reaction score
This weekend my stepdad expressed that he really needs a suit (after going last weekend to his mother's funeral and being the only person there not in one...), and that he was thinking of going to Men's Wearhouse to get one. I quickly recoiled and told him that he shouldn't do that due to the low quality of the suits. Now then, he is 69 years old, and while he makes a decent living the mortage on my parents house and his battle with prostate cancer have severely limited his funds. Accordingly, I'm going to try and find him something for Christmas and do my good deed (even though I too have severely limited funds).

So that's the background - here's my question. What would be a good suit option for him? I'm thinking tweed would be the way to go, even though he would primarily wear the suit to weddings, funerals, and the like. He loves wranglers, cowboy hats, and that certain aesthetic - accordingly I'm thinking he'd look awkward in an all black suit or heaven forbid - pinstripes.

What are brands I should look at for him? I was thinking RL Black Label on Ebay, or maybe Brooks Brothers, but I have no idea what would look good on a youthful elderly person such as he. Price is paramount, but I want him to look good....

Opinions, advice?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, tell him that the mens warehouse went out of business. Ebay is always an option. If you do not find anything, go for Brooks Brothers or even HartMarx.

Doc4

Reaction score
Recruit his assistance for your plan.

Talk to him about your Xmas plan, and get his feedback on what sort of suit he'd like. Probably a darker grey would work for both weddings and funerals ... just more colour in the shirt/tie for weddings, of course. Perhaps you can even "co-operate financially" on this, so as to afford a more decent suit.

SlamMan

Reaction score
What's the budget?

Hummingbird

Reaction score
I'd hope to keep the budget under 350-400. This would be a collaboration buy as someone suggested. Better yet would be in the 250 range. Used is more than acceptable. Thanks for the Hart suggestion, as I'd never heard of them!

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HartMarx is Hart, Schaffner and Marx who make some solid suit options for not a lot of money. They can be found at department stores like Dillards. You can find them for your price range at Filene's Basement or Nordstrom Rack.

You will not find a tweed suit in your price range mainly because no one really makes tweed suits for off the peg sale (Ralph Lauren being the occasional exception). A tweed suit is only comfortable on very cold days anyway.

If this will be the man's only suit a solid color would be the best bet. It can be navy, gray or even brown. A subtle pattern like herringbone is also worth considering.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, have him measured by a tailor or seamstress. Knowing the right size will make your search that much easier.

Where are you located? FB, Nordstrom Rack, Neiman Marcus Last Call, Saks Off 5th, the nicer Marshalls/TJMaxx will probably have something in your price range.

I second the HSM suggestion. Other probably suitable makes, usually available at discount retailers, are Polo Blue Label, Hickey Freeman, Burberry, Hugo Boss, and if you're lucky, Corneliani/Canali.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
All good suggestions. I am in Austin, TX - so there aren't as many options as in say, NYC. I am also considering the blazer with nice pair of trousers option as well since he owns none of the above!

subourbonite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hummingbird
All good suggestions. I am in Austin, TX - so there aren't as many options as in say, NYC. I am also considering the blazer with nice pair of trousers option as well since he owns none of the above!

Well, I'm a noob, but my thoughts are:

1) The blazer/trousers might get more wear, since it doesn't sound like he's currently a formal dresser, so he's probably more likely to wear these than a full suit unless it's absolutely necessary. This brings me to

2) When you need a suit, you need a suit. There are some occasions that a blazer & trousers isn't appropriate for, (e.g. funerals).

So, blazer + trousers more versatile, but not always a stand-in for a suit.

heard546

Reaction score
Try Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th Ave, and Nieman Marcus Last Call. You may be able to find a suit to fit your budget. Also, try Dillards outlet if there is one near you. You can find polo, and some other brands there mentioned in this forum.
-tony

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hummingbird
You may or may not already know this, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you didn't. There are a Saks Off 5th and a Neiman Marcus Last Call at the outlet in San Marcos. Not sure about Nordstrom Rack; I would guess there's one either in or around Austin.

Here's another option. Harold's has a store in the Arboretum. The company declared bankruptcy in November and has all of their merchandise 40% off (most of their suits retailed at $495 and $595). Some of their mens stores carry/carried suits and some do/did not; and I believe some stores have already closed (not sure if the one in Austin is one of them). I'd call before making a trip. Their suits are of decent quality and fit. At 40% off retail, they would certainly be a good value.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
First, tell him that the mens warehouse went out of business. Ebay is always an option. If you do not find anything, go for Brooks Brothers or even HartMarx.

What are you talking about? NYSE:MW closed at 9.83 today. They're very much in business.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
What are you talking about? NYSE:MW closed at 9.83 today. They're very much in business.

I said it so that he can distract his father from going to the mens warehouse!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by subourbonite
Well, I'm a noob, but my thoughts are:

1) The blazer/trousers might get more wear, since it doesn't sound like he's currently a formal dresser, so he's probably more likely to wear these than a full suit unless it's absolutely necessary. This brings me to

2) When you need a suit, you need a suit. There are some occasions that a blazer & trousers isn't appropriate for, (e.g. funerals).

So, blazer + trousers more versatile, but not always a stand-in for a suit.

In my part of the country, a blazer and odd trousers are quite common at funeral attire. Although I would agree that such an ensemble is not properly first-choice for such a somber occasion, it is a lot better than much of the attire I have seen worn to funerals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads