• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help! My Edward Green Shoes Squeak

pledge

Reaction score
Hello all. This is the second pair of RLPL Grants that I have purchased that squeak. I'm pretty sure that the squeak is coming from the corkbed(?) or somewhere inside the shoe; not just the leather stretching. Do you think it has anything to do with my not "breaking the shoes in"? I usually just go ahead and wear them for a full day right out of the box b/c they fit so well. Any thoughts?

pledge

Reaction score
Also, I spilled droplets of coffee on my new shoes today (brown) that have left some discoloration along the vamp (no, I'm not having the best day!). Any idea how I can polish those spots out? Thanks.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost all my shoes squeak. There is squeaking from foot against heel, shank, tongue against quarters, and mystery squeak. I don't like it, but the effort involved in isolating squeaks and eliminating them is too much to make it worth it. Some of these wane with wear. My Grants don't squeak, FWIW.

I don't have any suggestions, just shared pain.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
Hello, M. I'm wearing RLPL Grants today, and guess what...they squeek!

I'm assuming that that will go away as they wear in more.

- B

pledge

Reaction score
Ahh...You gentlemen both make me feel better...So you don't think it has anything to do with not allowing for a "break-in" period? And what to do about the coffee?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of EG/RLPL Barksdale loafers that squeeked at first. Can't say how long it took, but they don't squeek anymore. In fact I am wearing them today and nary a peep.

I have 2 pairs of Grants and I haven't noticed a squeek with them. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I am sure that it will go away over time.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Grants squeak also, which is why I rarely wear them. It annoys the hell out of me.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
My Grants squeak also, which is why I rarely wear them. It annoys the hell out of me.

Interesting. I have a pair of black grants that have been sitting in my closet for a few months, unworn. Maybe I should give them a whirl and see if i can join this new club.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We even groupthink about shoesqueak.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
We even groupthink about shoesqueak.

i disagree. it's connoisseurs' consensus.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 238 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • 31 - 40