• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Moldy Imperial Kings

Selvish

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased some raw indigo Imperial Kings a while ago and I think I've worn them once and haven't even had them hemmed yet. Foolishly I left them in a plastic bag in my garage. When I went to get them so I could get them hemmed, I discovered to my horror that they're covered in mold. The mold doesn't appear to have eaten away at the material and just appears to be on the surface.

Obviously this is quite an expensive pair of jeans so I want to salvage them if possible, preferably with the indigo intact.

My question is what's the best way to do this? Damp cloth? Dry clean? Washing machine? Bin?

Cheers,

Selvish

Omega Man

Reaction score
Wash them in the washing machine. These are raw, but they are sanforized already. Shrinkage should be minimal. Some loss in indigo, but its way better than dry clean/wash cloth/throwing them away.

Reaction score
I'd get rid of them unless you want a fungal infection. You don't know what kind of mold that might be or if it is harmful or fatal. Mycosis (fungal infection caused by exposure to mold) can cause neurological damage and death, don't risk it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold_health_issues

Selvish

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I wasn't really considering neurological damage and death. Was more concerned about losing some of the indigo.

So if I machine wash them, it's best to do them on a warm / hot cycle? I would have thought cold would be better? Also, did you mean with detergent or without?

Cheers.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvish
I wasn't really considering neurological damage and death. Was more concerned about losing some of the indigo.

Ah, Styleforum.

Omega Man

Reaction score
You have mold on them. Detergent and hot (I suggest) wash is a must. Kiya has spoken, he knows his stuff. You might also air dry them under the sun (or use the dryer).

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, maybe spray some disinfectant on them. Sick...

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hold the **** on. are you guys saying he should wash them before he wears them for 6 months??? you realize that ruins raw denim, right? the whole point is to wear them for 6 months WITHOUT WASHING them. damn.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mother works with fabric and paper preservation so I've asked her about this before. Long story short, you're probably not going to be able to completely kill the mold with a warm cycle, only make it dormant if you keep it dry. Personally I wouldn't let mold into my closet. If you have a damp spell, you're going to get mold growing everywhere. And just pray it's not black mold, which grows really quickly and is toxic.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
hold the **** on. are you guys saying he should wash them before he wears them for 6 months??? you realize that ruins raw denim, right? the whole point is to wear them for 6 months WITHOUT WASHING them. damn.

Someone has been lost in the blogosphere for too long.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont think washing in a machine will get rid of the mold. ****, my washing machine doesn't even get rid of ketchup stains.

in this case I would get it dry cleaned. those toxic solvents will kill that ****. give up dreamz of epic fadez

afterwards, hang in sunlight for a day or two

Reaction score
Mold isn't something to **** around with. I had a friend who unknowingly rented a house that had a mold problem. After a month he had some kind of respiratory infection and had to stay in the hospital for a while. He still has breathing problems. He didn't have insurance and couldn't sue the landlord because of some technicality on the lease so he just got screwed. I'm telling you, don't **** with mold.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what about vinegar?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads