• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me with my ties

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read this. Than google the other posts in the series and read them, too.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is this thread supposed to be going? So far seems to be a waste of time.

2themoon

Reaction score
I need some help with picking out ties and companies who make good quality ties to wear on wall street with my business suits everyday. I'd be interested in hearing your guys top picks. Thanks in advance

2themoon

Reaction score
Thanks Davis

Has anyone else had experience with Davidfin ties? Do you like them?

Any other brands you guys would recommend? Thanks

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're looking for grenadines, David Fin probably the cheapest and easiest source of them if you're stateside (though there is also Chipp, but they don't use the best linings as far as I know). There is also Sam Hober, which is bespoke, but it's also more expensive and has a longer wait time (generally two weeks).

For neats, Vanda and Henry Carter are really good bets. NMWA carries some really amazing ones from a variety of makers, but they might be a little too unconventional for your workplace.

I strongly suggest reading the first few pages of Noodles Good Natured Advice Thread (On Building a Better Business Wardrobe) as it is largely concerned with ties that are a) appropriate for a conservative business dress (conservative business dress) environment and b) not too dull

http://www.styleforum.net/t/375309/...ice-thread-improving-a-business-wardrobe/0_20

And the fun part of buying ties is that you've no reason to stick to a single maker--especially when you're starting out. So I suggest you sample from as many quality makers as you can.

Last edited:

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a Chipp black grenadine to try then out and I'm not really that impressed with the quality. The Knottery and Excuisite Trimmings or whatever seem good. I have a couple from the knottery and two on the way from ET. NMWA is also good as Clag mentioned

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since grenadine has been mentioned, and the OP didn't mention any price constraints, I think it's worth considering Drake's in that connection.

Of my grenadines (others are from the Knottery and Kent Wang) it's the one that does the best knot. YMMV, of course.

Cheers,

Ac

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There is a big jump there from Knottery to Drakes (KW's earlier grenadines didn't knot well; I think he's since changed them). No need to jump to grenadines that run 120USD+. At least not for staple grenadines.

Hober
David Fin
Henry Carter
Exquisite Trimmings

all would be a better source for grenadine staples.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my grenadines are from Sam Hober. I am not displeased.

Vanda & Kent Wang also make a hell of a tie.

Last edited:

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading up on ties lately as I was wondering what causes one tie to knot better than another and what are other markers of tie quality. I've read in multiple places that it has to do with the lining. This makes perfect sense to me as I've never really been able to get a good dimple out of my 2 Chipp grenadines (navy and burgundy), and the lining of those has been criticized in the past.

DavidFin

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Great question! @darkside
It's all about the lining .
1. The material content . You want the most wool in a lining as it has the most give (we use 100% wool)
2. The thickness and taper of the lining ( we add a cotton lining cover to the wool on some of our ties which adds to the hand and the knot)
You can view some images in our affiliate thread of the knots coming from our ties so you can understand how important the lining is in getting the dimple you want.

Best,
David
Www.davidfin.com

Last edited:

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've been doing some reading up on ties lately as I was wondering what causes one tie to knot better than another and what are other markers of tie quality. I've read in multiple places that it has to do with the lining. This makes perfect sense to me as I've never really been able to get a good dimple out of my 2 Chipp grenadines (navy and burgundy), and the lining of those has been criticized in the past.

It is a myth that it is just the interlining.

First, not everyone likes the same type of knot.

Next, not all wool interlinings are made alike and there are only a few (if that many) luxury wool interlining makers left. Even with luxury interlining wool there are many weights, different brushes and the number of layers can differ. Knowing which wool interlining to use and keeping on hand different types of wool is important.

Adding a layer of cotton does not necessarily improve the knot what it does is add more bulk without the weight of wool. So for example in the case of a lighter weight silk, adding a layer of cotton on top of wool might help the knot and it might not. A bit like adding a touch of spice to a recipe it may help and then again it might not.

Getting a nice dimple is helped by the right interlining and having a reasonably wide tie but in the end skill in tying your knot is the most important factor.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting a nice dimple is helped by the right interlining and having a reasonably wide tie but in the end skill in tying your knot is the most important factor.

Man. My tie tying skills just got called out by the SF tie legend.

Astaroth

Reaction score
It's all about the lining .
1. The material content . You want the most wool in a lining as it has the most give (we use 100% wool)
2. The thickness and taper of the lining ( we add a cotton lining cover to the wool on some of our ties which adds to the hand and the knot)

Sorry to play Devils Advocate but if the lining is wool with a cotton cover then how can you say the lining is 100% wool? Sounds as if its X% wool and Y% cotton for those ones.

By no means am I going to claim to be an expert of what makes a good tie but simply being 100% of any material is not in itself ever going to be a guarantee of quality. I have a $30 100% wool jumper and a $180 100% wool jumper, despite both being 100% wool (and navy and v neck) no one will ever mistake which is the better quality item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads