1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

help me with my shoe plan. 5-6k to spend.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQgeek, Mar 11, 2006.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

It's got to do with the machine that lasts the upper and how it's operated.

I am a big fan of EG and don't feel very well making any more wind of this for the time being. I think it's not more than fair to talk to the factory first.

I never would have guessed ;p

Thanks for all your info. You've been very helpful. Now's the hard part.. Waiting.

2. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Sysdoc, where did you find the C&J Cleveland? I dont see it in my catalog or on Plal. It's gorgeous. I like the open-laced wingtip.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Have they got any left? I didn't see any references to them in a cursory examination of their website. However, I sensed a certain facetiousness in your suggestion, Alan.
    That's usually a safe assumption with my posts, but I was being serious. The next big Grenson wave is about to hit.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

The next big Grenson wave is about to hit.

Shhhh! [​IMG]

5. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

[​IMG]
    Hmm...
    [​IMG]

6. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

With 5-6K to blow on shoes I would go to Budapest or Paris, probably both.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

EGs will run about $1000US at a trunk show, including trees, so I think you would be limited to 5 pairs if you have up to $6000CAN to spend.

I would wait for the Bennie's Grenson shipment. The Grenson Stowe could easily substitute for the EG Ladbroke.

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

With 5-6K to blow on shoes I would go to Budapest or Paris, probably both.

The only thing is that I'd have to wait until fall for such a trip, because if I go to Europe, I wouldn't want it it to be for just a weekend. That means I wouldn't see any new shoes until December.

Plus, I'd likely lose some of the savings (on EG at least) when they ship them to me in Canada and I get hit-up with 30% in duties and taxes.

How much would I really save buying shoes in Paris? Didn't I read that Corthay is selling their shoes for ~1000 euros?

I'm curious, John, how exactly would you spend the money?

9. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Distinguished Member

I note John Lobb is conspicuously absent from your list, is there any reasons why you don't consider JL? How flexible are you with your selections? Are you going to pay whatever prices for the shoes on your list? If some other EG models are on sale, would you sub some of the shoes on your list?

Option 1: Go to London in late June during EG semi-annual sale at the Burlington Arcade. Go to Northampton for JL and C&J factory stores. Make a side trip to Budapest from London. Summer being the peak season, you may pay thru the nose for air tickets and accommodation.

Option 2: Make a trip to NYC during June or July for the semi-annual sale.
    These are the shoes you will likely find them on sale:
    C&J at Barneys & T&A (Does C&J run sale at T&A?)
    EG at Saks and the Rhinelander Mansion
    Lobb at its own store and BG
    The Santoni store may also be on sale at that time
    Kiton & Lattanzi at BG, AFAIK, Kiton & Lattanzi don't run sale at their own stores.

Opton 3: Make a trip to Northampton and Budapest in the fall, when the air is cool and crisp, air tickets are much cheaper and shoemakers replenish their supplies.

I am planning on the option 3 myself now.

10. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

The only thing is that I'd have to wait until fall for such a trip, because if I go to Europe, I wouldn't want it it to be for just a weekend. That means I wouldn't see any new shoes until December.

Plus, I'd likely lose some of the savings (on EG at least) when they ship them to me in Canada and I get hit-up with 30% in duties and taxes.

How much would I really save buying shoes in Paris? Didn't I read that Corthay is selling their shoes for ~1000 euros?

I'm curious, John, how exactly would you spend the money?

RTW Corthay will cost around EU800. Bespoke is a lot more, and you'll need to return to the shop for fittings.

I'd go with bespoke Corthay. I say this after repeated trips to the shop and buying shoes there and seeing what could be available to me were ever I to have the time to go through the fitting process.

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

I note John Lobb is conspicuously absent from your list, is there any reasons why you don't consider JL? How flexible are you with your selections? Are you going to pay whatever prices for the shoes on your list? If some other EG models are on sale, would you sub some of the shoes on your list?

Option 1: Go to London in late June during EG semi-annual sale at the Burlington Arcade. Go to Northampton for JL and C&J factory stores. Make a side trip to Budapest from London. Summer being the peak season, you may pay thru the nose for air tickets and accommodation.

Option 2: Make a trip to NYC during June or July for the semi-annual sale.
    These are the shoes you will likely find them on sale:
    C&J at Barneys & T&A (Does C&J run sale at T&A?)
    EG at Saks and the Rhinelander Mansion
    Lobb at its own store and BG
    The Santoni store may also be on sale at that time
    Kiton & Lattanzi at BG, AFAIK, Kiton & Lattanzi don't run sale at their own stores.

Opton 3: Make a trip to Northampton and Budapest in the fall, when the air is cool and crisp, air tickets are much cheaper and shoemakers replenish their supplies.

I am planning on the option 3 myself now.

#2 is an interesting proposition. I wasn't aware of the semi-annual sales during those times. Will all those stores be on sale at the same time? What's selection usually like?

I'm definitely going to budapest for my vass, but that's going to be a side-trip from Italy when I go, hopefully in the fall or winter.

And there's no John Lobb on the list primarily because I only have so much money that I want to allot to shoes at this time, and I can't select every pair that's part of my long-term goals. Jermyn IIs are on the list though ;p

12. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior Member

I note John Lobb is conspicuously absent from your list, is there any reasons why you don't consider JL? How flexible are you with your selections? Are you going to pay whatever prices for the shoes on your list? If some other EG models are on sale, would you sub some of the shoes on your list? Option 1: Go to London in late June during EG semi-annual sale at the Burlington Arcade. Go to Northampton for JL and C&J factory stores. Make a side trip to Budapest from London. Summer being the peak season, you may pay thru the nose for air tickets and accommodation. Option 2: Make a trip to NYC during June or July for the semi-annual sale. These are the shoes you will likely find them on sale: C&J at Barneys & T&A (Does C&J run sale at T&A?) EG at Saks and the Rhinelander Mansion Lobb at its own store and BG The Santoni store may also be on sale at that time Kiton & Lattanzi at BG, AFAIK, Kiton & Lattanzi don't run sale at their own stores. Opton 3: Make a trip to Northampton and Budapest in the fall, when the air is cool and crisp, air tickets are much cheaper and shoemakers replenish their supplies. I am planning on the option 3 myself now.
    vR, Excellent post! [​IMG] GQgeek, There's one thing I forgot: You say you don't want to buy 'flat finish' shoes. That totally rules out Vass and most of John Lobb Paris, except for the 'Museum' leathers. However, it really emphasizes John's suggestion of Corthay.

13. Fritz

Fritz Senior Member

Regarding option 1: While I don’t have any statistical data to back this up, my impression has been that summer is actually a relatively cheap time to visit London. There are less business travellers to compete with for accommodation and you seem to get good rates. Don’t know about air tickets from Canada though.

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

vR, Excellent post! [​IMG]

GQgeek,

There's one thing I forgot:

You say you don't want to buy 'flat finish' shoes. That totally rules out Vass and most of John Lobb Paris, except for the 'Museum' leathers. However, it really emphasizes John's suggestion of Corthay.

There's a couple pairs of JL that I really like, but you're right, in general I prefer shoes that show a bit of character in their finish. The Vass monkstrap and london 3 eyelet on U last are stunning shoes regardless of the finish. I think are very attractive shoes in dark brown or oxblood. In general though, I don't like a lot of what I see on the Vass website. That's also why I'm not going to build my entire collection around Vass, instead I'll pick the models I like. Corthay is also an interesting option, but I think i want some classic english shoes first. Plus, didn't I see some negative comments about Corthay recently?

15. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Distinguished Member

Obviously, I like sleek shoes with a chiselled toe.

#4: Would like something with a norwegian construction, although I don't have any particular shoe in mind. There was a stunning light beige Brioni (made by branchini) on ebay a few months ago but i didn't have the cash at the time [​IMG]

Aren't sleek shoes with a chiselled toe and Norwegian welt kind of mutually exclusive?